ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Add Light attack helicopters (AH-6 little bird, Kazan Ansat 2RC)

_WFT_Dutchy_WFT_Dutchy Member Posts: 1 Civilian

While i agree that adding gunships like apaches or havocs is probably a bad idea, i think in the current meta lightly armored scout helicopters could fit really well into the game in its current state.

The current utility helicopters are already fairly easy to take down if you have got the weaponry for it, and these scout helicopters would be even more vulnerable.

The scout helicopters would have the following rather modest loadouts:

AH-6:

• Fixed M134 Minigun
  • 7 (or 14) Hydra 70 rockets (HE)
  • Co-pilot Camera
  • Maybe the ability to transport small squads?

Kazan Ansat 2RC

• Fixed Dshka 50 cal
  • 8 S-8 Rockets (HE)
  • Co-pilot Camera

These helicopters would be agile but not fast, pack a punch but have little ammo, and be dangerous but also very vulnerable.

Keep in mind that the rockets i described are HE and hence only really suited to anti personnel roles, although they could damage lighter vehicles or destroy tank tracks.

In my opinion the aviation branch in squad deserves to have a bigger scope, and while i agree that player controlled jets and gunships like other more dedicated attack heli's don't fit in well into the current game i think we should be able to implement at least some offensive Arial capability that would compliment the current transport helicopters.

Maybe adding MANPADS and flares for helicopters could help balance things out some more too. It would add to the aviation depth in this game.

Let me know what you think!

Comments

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 473 ★★
    edited August 23

"The current utility helicopters are already fairly easy to take down if you have got the weaponry for it"

Not at all, they often just refuse to take damage from direct hits from LAT, not that one shot is enough to down them. 1 heavy AT would not even set them on fire. The pilot also couldn't be shot out without a bug.

They are generally tougher than logi trucks(which at least goes burning if not outright dead from 1 HAT), but they fly and are far harder to hit.

There already was rocketpod helicopters in sdk. It's just generally unhealthy for the game, as effective AA to counter rocketpod helicopters would also ruin transport helicopter's day(or maybe that's exactly what should happen).

Unfortunately the game is too arcady to allow helicopters to be truly vulnerable(on top of generally identical ticket cost/respawn timer as logi).

• thebiglezthebiglez Member Posts: 39 ★★

It would be really fun thats for sure! But i would only give them the minigun, because if you give them the rockets, skilled pilots will turn into a fcking HIMARS and just constantly bomb all your points from their base.

• RackEmUp187RackEmUp187 Member Posts: 82 ★★

No. Needs countermeasures. Choppers are already hard to hit and lag across the sky.