Skip to content

Driver binoculars

FattyshowFattyshow Member Posts: 3

Like a gunner can switch types of ammo and smoke launchers, it would be nice for the driver to be able to switch to binoculars. While using the binoculars he cannot drive (or at least not steer) until he switches back to his 1st 'weapon', the driving tool.

Currently when I park a Bradley or something on a hill on a map like Kohat Toi, overlooking the valley, I get outside of my vehicle so I can look with the binoculars to help spot the enemy for my gunner. Even though many armoured vehicles only have a small hole to look through, the option to zoom in from inside the vehicle would be nice.

Having the binoculars as a different tool puts the vehicle in a weaker position as the driver will still have to switch back to the driving tool if he wants to drive off again. About 3 seconds to switch to and from binoculars, as if he is putting it away before driving again.

Comments

• WhyPhyWhyPhy Member Posts: 19 ★★

From my personal POV, this isn't really a problem. I agree that the driver should have some sort of zooming in but the binoculars would be kinda weird. Like in real life, I can imaging the driver stopping, taking out his bino's and then checking ahead. Maybe instead of using the bino's, there could be a small zoom like you have when you take your rifle out and press shift. there is a slight zoom then. That might be more "realistic". In essence:

1. its the job of the commander of the vehicle to spot long-range targets
    2. indeed the driver should be able to zoom in a little but I think the bino's would be kinda weird
    3. the driver could use the shift (or whatever) key to zoom in slightly, kinda like squinting his eyes, allowing him to focus a bit more on a specific area

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 56 ★★

Really, the solution would be for the crew to be able to open up the hatches and turn out. If we were able to open up those hatches for greater FOV, at the expense of possibly being shot out, I could see the general awareness going up by a million times. With that, the addition of the slight zoom would be a good inclusion as well.

• XXPX1XXPX1 Member Posts: 45 ★★

Not many remember it, but the BTR used allow the driver to turn out when it was first introduced. It was removed in A9 "temporarily" but never reintroduced.

I cannot post links... -.- Yay, new forums.

So go to youtube and go to any video, then put in EoiuYbhepMM?t=36 after the watch=, skip to the 36 second mark.

I'd love to see both, depending on the vehicle. Using a binocular while in the driver seat of light vehicles like the TIGR or MRAP would be really beneficial and doesn't seem that unrealistic. Being able to turn out of heavier vehicles, like BTRs and the like, and use a binoculars while exposed would also be really helpful (of course introducing the risk of being shot out).

• DesmoLockeDesmoLocke North Carolina, USAMember Posts: 5 ★★

I prefer just combining the driver and commander seat like Project Reality. Keeps a set of boots on the ground and gives the driver more situational awareness and command of the vehicle.

• ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 25 ★★

Idk, for armor to be used at it's highest potential there should be a cost to the team. The cost in this case being players.

I like the shift to zoom idea, essentially a squint. Would give logi vehicles a chance against mines imo(other than just avoiding the roads altogether). Mines will still get hit, all the time. But the people who routinely drive logis will be able to save themselves on occasion. Even adds a choice as to do I avoid this mine and mark it hoping people are paying attention or do I take the time to remove it.

Ultimately the mine is serving a purpose regardless of driver choice; delaying the enemy. Either delay to remove the mine or leaving the mine for the next person to inevitably run it over.

• XXPX1XXPX1 Member Posts: 45 ★★

Since I cannot go back and edit my last post (but now can post a link).

Here is the video of being able to turn out of BTRs for the lazy. (Not my video, just a random one I found on youtube)

• 3S_Moe3S_Moe Member Posts: 28 ★★

Love the idea that in some vehicles you could use binoculars. A lot of the vehicles (Toyota's, logi's, etc.) should be able to use full binoculars when fully stopped. The idea of a slight zoom only makes sense for when you are driving, but when you are fully stopped you should be able to pull out full binoculars and scan around without having to hop out.

• Titan84Titan84 Member Posts: 6

Most armored vehicle do have a Commander seat if it is not ocupied why not just use this instead?... its like 3 sek (like you proposed) to switch there and will have some zoom (like Binos).

• 3S_Moe3S_Moe Member Posts: 28 ★★

Few have the commander seats (Logi's, Transports, Strikers, MRAP's, techies.)

My question to you is, why would you resist this idea? Is there something negative to you about being able to use binoculars as the driver in a vehicle (or maybe even the passenger seat? Do you feel it will make the game worse or something?

• Titan84Titan84 Member Posts: 6

My question to you is, why would you resist this idea? Is there something negative to you about being able to use binoculars as the driver in a vehicle (or maybe even the passenger seat? Do you feel it will make the game worse or something?

Sorry, I dont resist this idea per se. But since the first post mentioned specifically the Bradley I thought that we are talking Tanks/IFV/APC

If you talk about Logis Transport, techis etc. I dont see the benefit because they are not armored anyway.

Leaving us to discus MRAPs (and the Stryker? doesnt he have a comand-seat like the BTRs? i honestly dont know): i dont think it would make the game worse but an the other hand its not a feature i personaly need... so it would be a "mehh"🤷‍♂️ from me...

Now if you talk about the gunner of an open Top using binocs i would say yes. please.

• seannie4seannie4 Member Posts: 1 Civilian

Yes! Hatches would definitely be better both immersion and realism wise, as well as enabling vehicle crews to pop out the hatch on a hilltop and spot targets with their eyes or binocs, like in real life. Also, additional pintle mounted weapons (like the loader's pintle mounted M240B mounted next to the M2 HB on an M1A2) could be added and used with an 'open up' movement.

• durkiedurkie Member Posts: 3 Civilian

This would be perfect. In addition to that IMO it would be great to be able to switch to binoculars when you are behind an open top machine gun. So you can switch between spotting targets and engaging them.