ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

more persistent ammo crates

SloanSloan PRTA LeadMember Posts: 20 Civilian

This may not be an issue for everyone, but I have noticed a few times that when an FO is over-run all the ammo crates immediately disappear, regardless of how much ammo had been delivered to the FO. This seems to discourage placing ammo crates anywhere other than outside a HAB, and defensive positions largely end up as just places that happen to have people there.

I would like to see ammo crates survive HAB destruction with a fraction of the original FO ammo (up to a limit of around 600-800 ammo points?), and be able to be replenished by riflemen dropping off ammunition.

• This would mean that defenders can retain some ammo after FO destruction if they managed to set an ammo crate, so it becomes more useful for fortified defensive positions and rewards people who take the time to prepare a fighting position.
  • It would mean that attacking forces may need to lay siege to a good defensive position for a time until the defenders run out of ammo (especially for heavier handheld weapons, like RPGs & ARs/MGs), so clearing entrenched positions gains a bit more priority over just taking out the radio.
  • It would allow a fortified position to be re-supplied by riflemen carrying ammo from a truck or another FO, rewarding efforts to break a siege from outside and prior effort to fortify some position.

If a new FO is placed then any ammo crates nearby should automatically become part of that FO and start sharing ammo.

A possible drawback would be people placing multiple ammo crates outside a HAB to retain the ammo if the radio goes down. This could be avoided by a limit on the total number or the proximity of ammo crates to each other, or by allocating ammo based on some measure of ammo crate proximity (such as the area within 100m of each crate which is closer to the crate in question than to any other ammo crate). Or a combination of those options.

Not an issue would be people placing a new FO radio solely to resupply the defenders, because that can already be done by placing the radio and having the defenders set a new ammo crate.

------------

A possible extension to this would be to only allow ammunition to be stored up to the capacity of the ammo crates that have been set. Adding a larger ammo dump would help with this, and a large explosion when damaged by enemy fire (depending on amount of ammo remaining) would make for some interesting decisions about where to stockpile ammunition when setting up an FO. At that point each size of ammo crate/dump can have its own independent capacity and any remaining ammo can be shared out easily if the radio is destroyed.

Comments

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 407 ★★
    edited May 31

Copy/paste ammo crate from PR would have solved a lot of problem.

But I bet OWI can't do it because of performance reasons or something like that. (squad's fork of physx already has hilariously bad problems)

Also that would require too much skill in dropping crates where they should be(can't hide fobs nearly as well with a ton of ammocrates outside).

• SloanSloan PRTA Lead Member Posts: 20 Civilian

can't hide fobs nearly as well with a ton of ammocrates outside

I'm not really sure whether than would be a positive or negative change, TBH. Sometimes you do need to rely on a bit of luck to find a hidden FO inside some buildings and I don't really know how realistic that actually is.

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 79 ★★

There's a prototype of the physical supply system, unknown if/when it'll ever come to vanilla.

Like those rocket pod helicopters and foregrip G3s, I bet.

edited June 7

Hilariously unrealistic.

Imagine 50000 ammo(so 100 tubes for ATGM) with the size of a radio...etc.

Moving away from radio system altogether would have been far better as radio being all-or-nothing is just bad for gameplay(tedium for attackers to find radio after digging down hab, tedium for defenders when someone sneaks to radio to place C4 outside the wall even if it was walled off; also makes ammo supply of fob brain/skillless as it involves parking supply vehicle and holding F - instead of skillfully drop crates in a hidden/defensible spot so it doesn't get destroyed easily).

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 79 ★★
    edited June 7

Yeah, wonder if there's anymore work on that going on internally. Would be nice to have.

here's a video: https://youtu.be/LEYI9nyOLY0

• SloanSloan PRTA Lead Member Posts: 20 Civilian

^^^ that's quite good, would be great if the crates can be picked up and moved again.

One thing I really like about the current system is that we can move supplies from one FO to another, so I can re-load trucks in the field with some help from helicopters.

edited June 8

Nothing says you can't do that with a crate system(we already have player-dragging function, although it's rather dodgy; just let crates get dragged).

It's more work involved but I believe it makes logistics "gameplay" a lot more nuanced overall. (so when someone is unloading/loading supplies, they actually have to get out of the vehicle and do stuff, instead of have vehicle parked within edge of circle and sit there for a while).