ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

better razorwire

SloanSloan PRTA LeadMember Posts: 20 Civilian

My understanding of razorwire is that its intended use is to act as a barrier across some kind of otherwise wide open area, but my observations in-game are that it is almost never used like this and having tried it I find that it is too time-consuming for this to actually be done. As a result, it seems like it's only ever used for cutting off narrow openings.

A change that would make it easier for me to deploy wire as an SL would be to let me place a metal post at each end and then automatically fill in the middle with other posts at regular intervals and sections of wire spanning between the posts. When placing a second length of wire I would also like to be able to re-use an existing post at one or both ends, to make a single unbroken barrier. This may work even better with multiple lengths of wire (maybe with different costs, or maybe just a single cost for the entire length) being automatically chosen when placing the posts.

Another issue with deploying wire is that it doesn't work on uneven terrain. It would be nice if the posts would snap to the next surface below their interpolated position in 3d space, and the wire obstacle then deform to fill in the gaps between posts. Any excessive vertical deviation between two adjacent posts could either make the entire length invalid or just invalidate the wire section between pairs of posts with excessive height differences. This should all be compatible with geometry instancing for minimal performance impact and a simple art asset setup.

Finally, it can often be useful to barricade a narrow passageway. Having a small ball of wire (and a shorter sandbag wall) for this purpose would be rather convenient.

Comments

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 137 ★★

A "place and drag to the desired length" system should have been the way barbed wire was designed in the first place.

• 3S_Moe3S_Moe Member Posts: 106 ★★

Totally agree. Barb wire was designed to be a rapid deployment solution to slowing down the enemy and allow you to shoot them through it from behind protection, but in Squad, it costs too much money to put down and takes too long to dig, so SL's rarely put it down. It really needs to be modified where it costs a certain amount of build per foot and just as Geebus suggested, it needs to be a 'place and drag' system and it needs to be faster for shovels to dig, MUCH faster.

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 407 ★★

barbed wire already costs very little

The solution is: be engi

barbed wire already costs very little

The solution is: be engi

I would enjoy the game more if they tweaked the razor wire as suggested by the other posters. I would not enjoy the game by using your solution.

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 137 ★★

The cost might not be high in build points but it is high when you consider how much effort you have to put in to place it.

edited June 8

But the independent segments as they are now are actually kinda useful.

I can make deceptively large gaps between them and make people want to walk through(and get stuck for pain and suffering).

Currently they work fine for what they should be used for: complement other structures to secure entrances(not on their own).

You just need to learn to play better.

Not sure how your comment is relevant to my enjoyment of the game? I enjoy the game immensely. I would enjoy it more with the suggested changes to razor wire. I would enjoy it less following your game play and game design suggestions.

edited June 8

it's relevant whether you're sure or not.

Your enjoyment is what's irrelevant because you don't think/play at high enough level to know what's good. Nor were you ever capable of spewing out a decent game design suggestion(same reason as above). The fact that you claim to "enjoy the game immensely" despite game being in such a shoddy state cements that fact.

The thing is CE shovel is fast enough that you're not necessarily saving any time if a "place and drag" system were to be implemented, assuming you're capable of navigating the menu fast enough to place down more razor wires. It's extra work for OWI that is already failing at many fronts, for zero gain.(again, your "enjoyment" is irrelevant)

• SloanSloan PRTA Lead Member Posts: 20 Civilian

Currently they work fine for what they should be used for: complement other structures to secure entrances(not on their own).

Should they actually be used just for blocking small entrances, though? Is that actually representative of how they are used IRL?

edited June 9

I think they should, apparently OWI also thinks so because CE is given a roll to carry.

IRL they can also be packed like this:

This is how relevant you are to the OWI community.

edited June 9

Ahh, wow, this thread just became immensely more purposeful and useful with that one beautiful action. Why I didn't do that sooner for the most argumentative and caustic member on these forums is beyond me?

edited June 9

Good job on showing everyone how weak you are.

You have done the internet equivalent of burying your head in sand; because all you did was become unable to respond to me while everything else(me pointing out your failures) is happening as normal.