ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Adding colored ribbons for better distinguishing enemies from friends

BaumiBaumi Member Posts: 5 Civilian

We all know hot difficult it is to distinguish enemies from friends without the use of the map, if the camouflage looks the same, like Canada vs Russia. Wouldn't it be better if each army get's it's own colored ribbon, like Canada get's red and Russia yellow?

Comments

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 311 ★★

No, learn to ID through helmet/gun.

• BaumiBaumi Member Posts: 5 Civilian

So you are going to tell me you can distinguish them from 200 meters away, having to react and fire in 1 second?

So you are going to tell me you have problem with camouflage working as intended?

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 63 ★★

how frequently are you spotting someone from 200m away who ALSO sees you in a situation that requires you to open fire in 1 second? 200 meters in this game is like a hail mary shot with most rifles unless you have a good optic.

Not to mention at far distances, you wouldn't even be able to see the armband. Uniform differentiation is just a pattern recognition thing and it gets super easy with time. RUS and CAF are the most similar for sure, but the helmets have notable differences, not to mention most RUS soldiers wear balaclavas while nearly no CAF ones do.

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 121 ★★
    edited April 24

I don't find friendly fire to be a big enough issue to warrant a change like this. I especially don't think that arm bands are the way to do it. I've suggested in the past that if the developers wanted to alleviate identification issues between the Russians and the Canadians, an easy way to do it would be to change the Russian uniform to be the season appropriate 6Sh122 over suit. Its a reversible jacket and pants that feature either spring or autumn variations of their standard EMR pattern. Below are examples of both.

edited April 24

Again, Canada Multisham. https://legionmagazine.com/en/2021/04/military-selects-new-uniform-camo/

Clearly it's Canadians who need to change because 6sh122 is an oversuit which would require change of player models.

Camouflage intention is to make it hard to spot somone in an environment that has a color range like the camouflage itself. It's intention is not to make it hard to distinguish an enemy from a comrade. That's the reason why in many armed conflicts armies and also militias (like in Syria or Ukraine) use ribbons with different colors to reduce the chance for blue on blue casualties, if both sides use the same type of camouflage, in terms of the color range..

Well that's a thing I could agree on. The camouflage doesn't have to change extremely, but it should be enough to see the difference between RU and Canada. Right now it's dark green, vs darker green.

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 63 ★★

if you're at a far enough distance that discrete differences between CAF and RUS aren't visible, camouflage pattern/color won't help much

edited April 26

If it's harder to spot someone then it's harder to identify that someone.

Ukraine isn't CAF vs. RUS. In Ukraine there are many of the same/similar equipment being used on both sides, that's why they have tapes...etc.

Conventional armies have intentionally made equipment in shapes that generally do not get confused. (Russian helmet being shaped similar to SSH68 from old war, for example; while nato helmet typically do not deviate much from that pasgt-like shape)

edited April 26

Again, helmet and gun if you can't identify by gear(which are generally brown on CAF and green on RUS).

If you can't see helmet and gun, you generally have time to look more closely.

• 35 PAPA35 PAPA Member Posts: 8 Civilian

The situation you describe makes sense, but it’s a milsim so I don’t think it’s a good idea. The whole idea of squad is to use teamwork and have situational awareness. You should know who’s in the area and have a general idea of where they’re at. If you take even a few minutes to study the weapons and equipment it’s much easier. Wearing the armbands is not a common thing. Maybe in CQC in an urban environment, but I guarantee you they are not wearing bright color indicators in combat situations where they are actively utilizing their camo which is the majority of squad combat scenarios. It is also not a frequent enough occurrence to call for that kind of change. But what I would suggest is that the devs offer it as an option to toggle for server admins.