ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Artillery?

TheMasterTroutTheMasterTrout Member Posts: 1 Civilian

So Mortars are wonderful.

But..

I'm just saying that a logi truck full of ammo, towing an artillery piece that requires 5 people to operate. With a 6min emplacement and displacement time... Look, I think we all know that this is a super complex idea that would take ages to develop.. and it would be brilliant.

Comments

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 63 ★★

I've always wished that commander artillery and airstrikes didn't exist, and that commanders could instead build a single command FOB with a special emplacement lineup, 155mm included.

Squad is at its best when you're playing infantry and you radio for artillery, and somewhere a kilometer away, your teammates are dialing in their mortars and indirectly supporting you, organically. Their skill/response time is variable, and the good ones are always memorable. In short, organic support feels amazing in Squad because you realize how much communication and competence it needs in order for it to be effective.

Now imagine if instead of radioing your commander and magically calling in artillery which never misses and cannot be directly countered, the commander had a single 155mm emplacement with a high ammunition cost that could be directly assaulted and taken offline. Would make 155mm artillery interesting.

People often say that it would be unrealistic having a 155 so close to the frontline - as if that matters, the mortars in squad are artificially limited in range, and we're playing a game where logistics truck are expected to drive behind armor straight into known enemy positions.

A man can dream.