ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Overplayed Nations An Issue?

DaniboyrulezDaniboyrulez Khotiv, Kyyivs'ka Oblast', UkraineMember Posts: 1 Civilian

Hello everyone, I have been noticing recently the amount of times I have been playing the same nations over and over again. I have nothing against any nation, and I know each player prefers one over another, but as time goes on, it gets boring for me, and I am starting to hate 2 big nations, those 2 are USA and Russia. I am aware that server can switch and change maps as they please, and some also do voting in game. I am aware that some maps are more popular then other, which is often why I like to think USA and Russia are so popular. But along with that, a lot of the map game modes themselves have little diversity between them. An example would be Narva, with 12 out of the 13 game modes always including Russia. Of course other maps have their fair share of nations, but my reason here is that some of the least played nations (Insurgents, Irregular Militia) are played on some specific maps, compared to USA and Russia which are in NEARLY all of the maps in game. My question here is if America and Russia are just generally liked more then others, or is it the diversity in some maps that keep them so popular?

I also did a quick calculation on the server browser, and counted over 30 servers, choosing servers that are 40 players and over (to prevent seeding servers) , and found that of all the nations fighting in them, 23 were Russia, 15 United States, 11 Canadian, 4 British Army, 4 Insurgents, 3 Middle Eastern Alliance, 1 Irregular Militia. These stats can obviously change and some nations can be more popular then other, but often times this is (mostly) the result. I also took a screenshot, but I am unable to post it.

Just wondering if anyone else sees this as an issue, a nuisance, sees this as a part of the game, or enjoys this.

Thanks and cheers!

Comments

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 140 ★★

It's just kinda the way that the game goes. Most likely it is a mixture of all the reasons that you stated. I haven't worried about it too much seeing as it isn't something I have any control over.

That said, the developers have announced intentions for there to be a map and faction voting system at some point in future development. If you think that you play the same factions on the same maps all the time now, just wait until that comes along. At first it seems like it would give players a much wider variety to play given the choice but in all likelihood it'll just end up with the same couple of factions getting picked on the same couple of maps. A great example of this can be found in the game Rising Storm 2: Vietnam where a server that runs a vote map will see the same couple of maps picked over and over again with the same couple of factions, almost without any variation.

• sneakylikeasneksneakylikeasnek Member Posts: 84 ★★

This would be resolved if servers could create custom layers with the layer overhaul without them being considered mods - i.e., choose the maps you want in rotation and the factions will head off, and even the vehicle layouts. No clue when those promises will be fulfilled, but whatever. The problem is OWI is limited in time and imagination to create the necessary layers to meet everyone's desires, and as such it's relegated to mods, which are currently nearly impossible to seed. Soooo....yeah, wait on layer overhaul pt 2 I guess.

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 456 ★★
    edited December 2021

RUS is the favorite punching bag for all other conventional factions(including MEA) that has just weak enough weapon/equipment to make a difference.

It's one of two conventional opfor and the only one of the two that fits in maps that take place outside middle east.

U.S. is the favorite faction because it's just better than RUS in general and gets matched against RUS commonly.

These results are normal. When you want to have an easier time winning while pretending to be "good guys" you join a US vs. RUS game, if you fail to swap to US side...you're on RUS or in queue for another server. If you can't find US vs RUS server, MEA vs RUS(with the hulldown kornet jeep) or UK vs RUS on Chora, or any map's CAF vs RUS(especially the ones with 3 LAV6 vs. 3 BTR-82A)...etc.(you get the idea) will do.

OWI has no time to properly balance the factions (also CAF has the excuse of "but it's made by someone else") so it is like this.

I've never bought that idea. No conventional faction is so much more powerful than any other to make a significant difference. If you are losing as the Russians its because your team isn't doing what it should, not because your rifle has a little more kick to it or any number of other largely meaningless factors. The only real time that I'll agree that one faction is more powerful than another is on a poorly balanced layer but that ain't the majority of layers.

Players play on RU vs US layers all the time because that's just what the majority of layers have. It ain't because everyone likes to stack the US and club the Russian team.

Theoretically any faction can be balanced against another by tweaking layers, which is the beauty of squad, but that doesn't mean the factions are equally powerful. Not that it's worth arguing a ton about given how faction setups differ so widely from layer to layer. But if you, for example, put up the US vs the INS with one of all of their gear available, the INS would get stomped if player skill is equal.

Don't get me wrong, most of what you've just said is what I am getting at. I won't get into the conventionals vs irregulars since its pretty obvious who beats the other absent asymmetric balancing but in conventional vs conventional the differences are relatively minor in their impact on the game. For example, one gun being better than the other really doesn't make as big of an impact as many folks think. 99.9% of the time I'd say that the only place that balance really becomes a factor is in layer vehicle layouts.

edited December 2021

I don't care if you believe that idea. You were never able to argue against my points in the past.

Also it's lower rate of fire + lower damage + worse damage dropoff range + lower accuracy + worse optics, and lmg having far less ammo per magazine(plus significantly lower rate of fire), and MMG also having worse accuracy + worse optics with a dash of worse rate of fire/recoil on top.

Maybe you don't care because you switch to US all the time. Or you're just lying about AT4 not being a gamechanger.

If it's meaningless to you then you should play on RUS against other factions when it's disadvantaged every, single, time.

Ironically it's imbalanced in the layers too(any symmetrically "balanced" vehicle layer).

You won't get into conventional vs. irregular because you conveniently forget that MIL and RUS are very similar to the point where MIL actually has some advantage on their AK-74(copypasted stat of AK-74M) due to the higher magnification of optics. They would have been more op if OWI gave back the ability to adjust the zeroing distance of it. (that was removed because how dare irregular factions have anything better /s)

Sounds like you are just blaming your bad team on yer guns. I do fine as the ruskis.

edited December 2021

Also there is always the fact that even if RUS vehicles are slightly advantageous, they can easily get shut down by lone infantry AT due to the fact that they're more fragile in general(BTR dies to 1 heavy 1 regular rocket of HAT instantly, BMP-2 starts burning after hit by two rockets; where as stryker behaves like bmp and bradley doesn't even burn after eating those two rockets).

Bradleys are also 360 degrees immune to 12.7mm mg where as BMP-2 can get penetrated from all sides by 50cal if you knew where to aim. A Mrap(even if unmanned) can be a threat to BMP while bradley can mostly safely ignore tigr.

And the other side doesn't have to compromise primary weapon further(going ironsights) to avoid PG-7VR(now not accompanied by frag rockets on RUS, which is ironic) the literal worst HAT in game.

Sounds like you are used to getting carried by team instead of carrying the team. I do fine on RUS.

edited December 2021

-----

• RackEmUp187RackEmUp187 Member Posts: 74 ★★

Our clan had map voting until the updates messed it up and we had to just manually ask which layer the people wanted and manually tally it up before the next match.

Map voting isn't the same as layer modification. We need the ability to create layers on the fly in-game, kind of like Halo's forge mechanic. The creativity of the community FAR outstrip's OWI's, and we could see some truly insane maps that push the envelope further.

But no, we're stuck with the same layers per map, relying on some OWI employee's limited time and budget to get our fix of unique stuff. Part of me thinks it's OWI's control freak nature as demonstrated elsewhere in the game's lifespan that they don't let us run hogwild with the layers, but who knows.

• sazzsazz72sazzsazz72 Member Posts: 1 Civilian

I've never bought that idea. No conventional faction is so much more powerful than any other to make a significant difference. If you are losing as the Russians its because your team isn't doing what it should, not because your rifle has a little more kick to it or any number of other largely meaningless factors. The only real time that I'll agree that one faction is more powerful than another is on a poorly balanced layer but that ain't the majority of layers.

edited January 21

That's just you not learning the nuances of this game.

For example some people think 3 round burst is "balance factor" for m4 vs. ak but in reality this game increase recoil(with a curve that also deviates in recoil amount repeatedly) as you hold down trigger on fullauto(and not the reverse like tarkov) so that fullauto is usually useless(you either hit your first few shots and win, which isn't happening if m4 is used by similarly-skilled opponent, or your rifle is swinging up and down on top of wobble from suppression).

I bet you haven't noticed UK SL getting the good scope + gripod + no tracer(!).