ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Hide the server IP

SVL.JackBlueSVL.JackBlue Member Posts: 6 Civilian

We have suffered frequent DDOS and UDP attacks this month, not only us, most of squad servers in China are suffering from hacking, we tried to seek help from police but the other side is well hidden. I wonder if it is possible to hide the server IP to avoid the attack. Now the server IPs and ports are directly exposed to the public network environment, and a single server is suffering from 1-2 TB of attacks per day on average, which is affecting the game experience and we are losing players.I suggest hiding the server IP like other games

Comments

• 3S_Moe3S_Moe Member Posts: 49 ★★

How do you figure that hiding the IP address from the game is going to prevent you from getting 1-2TB of non-squad traffic? The ones attacking you are not launching Squad just to find IP addresses to target, they are just doing random port scans against every single IP address and if they find an open port, they go after it regardless of what it is.

• SVL.JackBlueSVL.JackBlue Member Posts: 6 Civilian

Most of the current attacks on Chinese servers are due to a player suffering from an antisocial personality. After our analysis of forensics and traceability, it is possible that this person is supported by a team that provides high security servers and their attacks are planned rather than scanning open ports.

I'm still confused how you are helping anything by hiding the IP? If this is planned and coordinated attack, then hiding the IP won't stop them. They'll just fire up either a packet capture and find the IP, or they'll use a tool to show open connections by process. OWI could hide the IP address of the servers and I could show you the server IP's in about 5 seconds by using other tools.

I have traceability means, if the other party uses tools to scan the hidden IP, then I can use the big data platform to trace the attacker

• Dani3lDani3l Germany/NetherlandsMember Posts: 57

current attacks on Chinese servers

Any idea what country the attacks are originating from?

I have traceability means, if the other party uses tools to scan the hidden IP, then I can use the big data platform to trace the attacker

I think you missed my point. I'm saying I could just wireshark my _own_ traffic while connected to a squad server and I'd get the IP address, thus, hiding the IP address within the games GUI (your original idea) really isn't providing any additional protection. If there is someone pissed off out there, they are going to find the server IP and launch an attack regardless of hiding the IP in the Squad GUI, so all you are doing is punishing everyone else with a solution that doesn't fix the problem.

• kross15kross15 Member Posts: 1 Civilian

Tell server provider block those IP addresses ranges if you can.

Or you probably have to looking for some kind of DDOS protection services, most server providers support these anti-DDOS services, I'm not to sure if OWI licensing stuff conflict with those services or not.

What OWI can do is maybe add anti-DDOS techniques in the servers owners guide or something.

Based on our investigation and the involvement of the police department, it was determined that the attack probably came from a Chinese server renter who was buying attack traffic on the telegrame platform. They want to attack the servers currently built by the players themselves in the game until they can't play normally, forcing us to rent their high security servers.

We hope OWI to promote anti-DDOS, we also hope to hide the IP, I understand what you said about packet listening, now the people who launched the attack is not a high level of technology, they do not use packet listening tools, they attack the server IP from steam server list display interface

• HighspeedHighspeed Member Posts: 18 ★★

Just have your server spam something regarding 1989 Tiananmen Square if you think it's the Chinese, their web bots will automatically block them from anything to do with your server.

Note: This is unverified, but it's something I heard.

Just have your server spam something regarding 1989 Tiananmen Square if you think it's the Chinese, their web bots will automatically block them from anything to do with your server.

Oh that is BRILLIANT! Hahah, use the great Chinese firewall content filter to stop an attack. I'm gonna have to remember this.

I understand what you said about packet listening, now the people who launched the attack is not a high level of technology,

I think you underestimate the simplicity of finding the IP.

Open your game, connect to a server. Now go open a command prompt and type in

netstat -a -n | findstr ":7787 :7788"

And POOF, the IP of the server you are connected to. No need to have the IP address displayed in the GUI at all. So again, limiting the IP address in the GUI is not going to really slow down or limit an angry playing from targeting your server. Sucks that it happens. Your only recourse is some type of firewall to block the connections.

I understand what you are saying, but realize that the people who are messing with it probably don't even know what a command prompt is. At the same time I'm trying to assemble a cost-effective soft route, through the firewall of the soft route to intercept the attack traffic, which will lead to a slightly higher latency for ordinary players, but does not affect the game experience

• EcchiRevengeEcchiRevenge Member Posts: 150 ★★

That's entirely fake news; verified to be false.

• IceSwordIceSword Member Posts: 7 Civilian

At present, there is no single technology to prevent DDOS, only to increase network bandwidth and firewall.

For such sudden network requests, the dynamic (shared) network bandwidth method of cloud server vendors is an economical and once-for-all method.

This will undoubtedly increase the actual cost and criminal cost of hackers, because there will be professional teams and police resources to fight against them.