Squad Developer Q&A October
This is the first ever Join Squad Forums Developer Q&A where you, the players, get to ask the people who made Squad all about the game! We hope this will be yet another great channel of communication between us at Offworld Industries and our players. As this is an experiment, we may tweak things as we go along, and will be reviewing how to make the process better.
A few rules for this Questions thread:
- Post your questions as a reply to this post, in this specific thread
- Please do your best to keep the questions short and to the point, it’s too easy to misunderstand a question if it’s contained in several paragraphs of notes.
- Any debate surrounding the questions should be done elsewhere in the forums and not in this thread.
- We will not be answering every question, but depending on the volume we may save some questions for future weeks. There also may be questions we just don’t answer.
- Make sure that you ask a question, this isn’t a time to debate a design decision with the team. If you want to ask about the reasoning behind something in Squad that’s fine, but don’t use your question to tell us why you’d have done it differently.
- Keep the questions polite and constructive. We will be deleting any questions that we feel are in bad faith or are obviously trolling. Word your questions right and they’re more likely to get addressed.
- Good: “Why did the team do X?”
- Bad: “Why did you idiots do X and ruin the game?”
- Anything that is not a question may be removed to keep this thread easily readable. If you have a comment about someone else’s question please take that outside of this thread.
Ultimately we would like to do this on an ongoing basis if it goes well. However, that requires a great selection of questions, and that you, the community, find it useful. As noted this takes time away from Squad’s development, which is a resource we guard closely, so we will only continue to do it if players enjoy it.
Thank you for taking the time to submit your questions, and we look forward to answering them!
- Offworld Industries
Update: The Q&A is now posted here: October Squad Developer Q&A : Squad – Communicate. Coordinate. Conquer. (joinsquad.com)
Where does development stand on the Commander vehicle requisition points system? What's the team's opinion on if/when it should be implemented?
As a kickstarter backer (clan pack), i would like to know the status of the clan patch that was promised us.
Replays are currently not allowed on any server because people might access them during the game and see where the enemy is. Is there any work on improving the replay system? For example, we can only view it after the game is over.
Hello. Here are a few questions I have in my mind :
1- Do you have any future plans for in-game optimization in general? (some maps are more or less optimized than others)
2- Do you have any future plans regarding the implementation of new content created by the community and incorporated into the game with the DLC system like with the Canadian Armed Forces? (French faction mod, Australians...)
3- Do you have any future plans to promote the more serious and competitive aspect that Squad allows; whether it be through daily announcements (highlighting certain small tournaments for example), or by organizing specific events such as OISC?
Thank you 🤗
Has there been any though given to encouraging squad cohesion though game mechanics?
I find that in public matches it's an uphill battle trying to keep players from running off on their own. Mechanics like tying suppression to local coms range, nerfing shift to steady or removing the range from the SL mark in place of a laser designator would make players fighting on their own less effective, but just as effective when in a group.
Any thoughts on this? I think it would be a huge boost to immersion, realism, gameplay and nudging new players in the right direction.
Will the roadmap update reflect only the things that were on it previously, or will you guys show other features that have been brought up since that roadmap's inception?
For example, any upcoming changes to suppression, or the physical supply crate system of which a prototype video is available. It feels like there's a lot going on that doesn't see the light of day, and discussion of the game's balancing and future are a lot easier when there's a clear picture of what the finished product looks like.
With the lighting&shadows update inevitably coming to Squad, along with maps being updated to a better visual standard - Will we be seeing any updates to vehicles in terms of usage, coax being fixed, better vision, or defensive abilities?
now I dont know much about game developing but from my understanding amphibious vics are one of the main holdups for v3 and i was just wondering what about them and what is taking v3 so long on release
So whats the situation on the T-90A, bmp-3, bmp-2m that was talked about a lil bit ago? Are we gonna see them in v3 👀? Are we gonna see new vehicles added to some of the current factions like the US or MEA?
There will be topographic maps in the future? IT WOULD HELP THE LEADERS A LOT!
Is there anything you can comment on the issue of defending a friendly point? Atm some of the squad community has notice that most players don't find defending entertaining enough to stop them running off to the next point.
Also with the v2.12 update do you think the changes made to the cap speed will bring aid this issue or push players in the opposite direction?
Is the development team thinking about Moving to Unreal Engine 5, and taking advantage of its technical features anytime soon? IE Lumen or Nanite? How big would the technical lift from UE4 to UE5 be?
Are you working about ragdolls improvements ? And how status of that and when we will see it in the game ?
Are you guys considering making a console version of Squad anytime in the future?
With a new CM, will the Squad partner program accept any new partners?
Can we get more features such as.
Hello there representatives of Offworld Industries !
First of all, thank you for making such an amazing Mil-Sim FPS. I love playing SQUAD for hours almost daily. Ok here are my top 4 questions:
1) Can there be a way to filter out servers with a user input ping variable? Such as I just want to see servers that are ≤ 90ms. I know you can do it through steam servers list, but joining a server through steam never works for me.
2) Will there ever be a Chinese faction? I know that China has a thing about games representing their country, but if you guys are allowed to add them, that would be some amazing new content to play with.
3) Will there be any improvements for vehicle physics coming up? I love to play armor from time to time, but get really bummed out when my vehicle flips out like I'm on the Moon or something. A lot of the times I flip out during low to medium speeds. Also is there a way to improve vehicle vertical speeds on maps such as Manic and Skorpo? I find that people avoid logi runs on those maps due to the slow speeds on paved roads.
4) Will co-pilots ever be able to "zoom in" during free look?
Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions with possible feedback. Most game companies tend to ignore their player base, and it makes it seem like another product than a work of art. Keep up the great work!
Huge fan of your work, it's fantastic how far squad has come since the initial Kickstarter.
Aussie faction when?
Are there any plans to implement player-controlled attack helicopters or attack jets?
If the answer is NO, is there a 0% chance of that happening?
Is there going to be IOSC this year? What are your plans for future Squad tournaments?
Can we save the Demo for each round and view it freely?
As a server admin I'd like to know when you can get the votemap up and running
Best regards to the developers! English is not my mother tongue, so please forgive me for all kinds of mistakes.
Here are my questions:
1.Will topographic maps appear in the future?
2.Will armed vehicles have modern fire control in the future? Or modern equipment such as thermal imaging?
3.Will Pan Asia be based on the 2000s or 2020? You know, their equipment has changed dramatically over the years.
4.Will the fire team have their own voice channel?
5.The content of the game will be more hardcore, entertainment, or both?like PR or BF?
6.What will the insurgency mode look like after overhaul？
7.Will OP FirstLight return to the map pool? This map is so classic.
These are some of my questions at present. Thanks a lot.😀
Firstly I don't want to offend anyone or upset the community, I've enjoyed playing Squad over the years but I think in a way its completed product and the team should focus on new products/projects.
Do you guys have any plan on reworking Al-Basrah?
Could you tell us the status for the USMC update and will they also get M1A1 Abrams tank
Kind regards, No I'm your father.
I understand gun resting was brought up back in like 2017 and we were told that this mechanic would not work in the games build at that time. Is this something that might still be able to be accomplished or should I just get over it lol much love either way so far you've built one of the best mil sim games in existence.