Skip to content

Vehicles currently a bit too weak, would benefit from a slight buff

tzaerutzaeru Member Posts: 27

(Yeah I'm spamming these suggestions now..)

So I'll be the first to say that I actually enjoy Squad being predominantly infantry-based. I don't like firefights being decided by which vehicles in the fight are played better. I prefer most firefights to be infantry affairs.

That being said!

At the moment vehicles are very vulnerable. The addition of tanks required the buffing of HATs and LATs. The compartmentalized damage system also has nerfed vehicles greatly.

LATs destroy engines, destroy tracks, and destroy guns too readily. HATs have too much range, and TOWs in a good spot absolutely wreck vehicles.

Especially the non-tanks have taken a big hit (pun intended). Nowadays we've gotten to a point where sometimes it's just not really even worth it to take the vehicles from main.

I think LATs should be slightly weaker and be much less likely to completely strip a vehicle from mobility. HATs should have a bit less range. With TOWs, well, to be perfectly honest, I kinda preferred it when they didn't exist, but I assume they're here to stay, so I guess they just should be doing slightly less damage. Keep them useful, but keep them a bit weaker.

Comments

• Teebird38Teebird38 Member Posts: 23 Civilian

LATS should be able to knock out APCs in 1 to 2 hits as in real life they are tin cans unless they have some sort of SLAT armor or active protection systems. They really are only able to withstand small arms in most cases. I think if vehicles were buffed commander could choose which types of systems to deploy and which vehicles he wants for that specific match. So for example a commander could choose to have a Stryker ICV with slat armor or choose to not have the armor. Having the extra armor will come at a cost of mobility for added safety. However as they stand now I don’t think they need a buff unless you went with a realism option (APS, SLAT, Reactive armor etc). Otherwise as it stands now they are pretty durable and are able to withstand 2 or even 3 rockets which is plenty.

• AlphacoreAlphacore Member Posts: 2 Civilian

>I think LATs should be slightly weaker and be much less likely to completely strip a vehicle from mobility.

Absolutely not. They are in a good state. LATs are a effective deterrent since they do not actually kill a vehicle unless they connect 4 rounds, making it combat ineffective instead (if you can hit the engine or turret). They dont need to be any weaker than they already are.

HATs need to get nerfed, their insanely long effective range and high damage absolutely destroys anything trying to support infantry.

• tzaerutzaeru Member Posts: 27

Well in real life the ATs don't go solo hunting through a desert for a lone IFV to take out. Real life isn't in my opinion a very good argument as this isn't a milsim.

The thing is that vehicles are only borderline useful at the moment. Two good HATs can almost completely close vehicles out.

At any a tracked vehicle can be hit by a LAT and become totally immobilized, after which it's ripe for taking.

Currently there are situations where it would be beneficial if the vehicles were simply left at main. Which, in my opinion, is a bit silly, even though I'm a fan of infantry based gameplay.

Problem is that hitting that engine, hitting those tracks, hitting those wheels, is not very hard for experienced LAT people. Especially for a tracker vehicle, getting one of the tracks destroyed is a death sentence as it takes the mobility to pretty much 0. Even the engine being destroyed isn't as bad.

• BahreinBahrein Republic of SerbiaMember Posts: 21 ★★

The argument on your side "This is not a military simulation" is same as ours "In real life".

Anything is useful in this game of ours as long as your team mates know how to use it where and when (Which most of the time most of them do not).Two Hats at the same position hitting the same target is really really hard can only be done if your vehicle is using the main road to the point or just rushing thru the city.Also a reminder that Hat kits are limited per a team and getting two players that know how to use them at the same vehicle is really really hard (as i wrote above) .Also they have ammo to resupply as well.

I would remind you that squad was never a game about vehicles that much.

Buffing a bit more for the vehicles would be just too much at this point even now you need a lot of time and rockets to knock down anything thats not tracked and you actually manage to de-track it.

Well hitting the engine or de-tracking the tracked vehicle is the whole point now is it? What you want me to shoot 10 rockets at the tank turret or hull with recoscheis happening so he can just simply turn around and go back to the main to repair and harasses the point or hab again?

I really think that the vehicles should not be touched any more in my oppinion it should be made if you get hit by a tandem rocket somone inside needs to die.Not just keep going with half of its HP off only.

• tzaerutzaeru Member Posts: 27

Anything is useful in this game of ours as long as your team mates know how to use it where and when

Right now the reality is that even high tier competitive teams occasionally leave vehicles at main. Their role is mostly to take out logis and stuff. They die super fast if engaging infantry.

In a lot of pub games, the vehicles do more harm than good, by losing more tickets than they make the enemy lose.

The problem being that LAT and HAT have a much higher skill cap and progression than vehicles do. OWI introduced vehicle components and LAT and HAT buffs with the idea of what an average player can do. They assumed that sometimes a player misses, sometimes not, they assumed that tracks can't be hit very reliably, etc. But when the AT player gets good enough, they don't really miss engine and track shots anymore. They never miss a HAT rocket. They become able to shoot moving vehicles accurately.

Meanwhile, the abilities of vehicles to counter ATs does not improve with a similar progression. You're always bound by poor vision, by slow turret rotation, etc. You can't take an AT out before they take you out.

This is actually a typical problem in Squad. Mechanics are introduced on the idea of what the average player can do with them, and not enough thought is put into what players can do with those mechanics once players get very good with them.

I would remind you that squad was never a game about vehicles that much.

It has regardless decided to add a wide variety of vehicles, so here we are.

I really think that the vehicles should not be touched any more in my oppinion it should be made if you get hit by a tandem rocket somone inside needs to die.Not just keep going with half of its HP off only.

If any vehicle nerfs were added at this point, the smart thing would be to just stop using vehicles altogether...