Skip to content

Mortars too stronk

tzaerutzaeru Member Posts: 29

So at the moment, mortars have gotten a bit too strong in the game. Once a HAB is spotted, one expert mortar player can totally shut the HAB down. Even if it's indoors, a good mortar player can alternate between the exits of the building and catch most players trying to leave it. Good mortar players also know where players are likely to be around the HAB, and can quickly drop some mortars there.

Additionally, UAV has made mortars significantly stronger. UAVs are a super easy to way to spot where enemy HABs exactly are.

There are a few different ways how this could be mitigated. Mortars' rate of fire could simply be reduced. A quite significant reduction would probably be in order. Or mortar shells could have a little bit of added randomness to their flight path.

Either way, currently a good mortar player can absolutely close down whole HABs, and it's just a single player. Effective mortaring should, in my opinion, require more than a single mortar. This would also mean that more supply is needed to be ran to keep the mortars firing. Two mortars after all use twice more ammo than one mortar.

Comments

• AlphacoreAlphacore Member Posts: 2 Civilian

Mortars are already nerfed compared to their IRL performance

• tzaerutzaeru Member Posts: 29

I don't think real world is a great comparison point for Squad. It's not a milsim.

In the real world we of course have mortar shells that have a danger zone over half a kilometer.

• RackEmUp187RackEmUp187 Member Posts: 34

The mortars in this game are actually we compared to other ganes's mortars. Take Battlefield 1 for example or battlefield 4

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 55 ★★

It is though in the case of mortars. With real mortars you cannot keep continually firing round after round for long periods of time; the barrel will overheat. The best way to balance mortars would be to implement an overheating system that would force players to wait for the tube to cool before spamming another dozen rounds.

Yea, this would be one way to reduce the rate of fire. Currently the rate of fire combined with very high accuracy means that a single good mortar player can totally close a HAB down, even if the HAB is indoors. They can simply rotate between the exits and the spots they know that players are likely to be in. I've seen good mortar players rack some ridiculous kill counts, like above 50.

• CR8ZCR8Z Member Posts: 27 ★★

I don't necessarily think a skilled mortarman should be punished for being skilled. I've seen mortars do absolutely nothing as well. Same with snipers, grenades, and anything else.

Reducing mortar's rate of fire, or adding a bit of randmoness to the shells' flight trajectories, is not really punishing good mortar players. If the players feel like they're punished for fixing something that is pretty overpowered compared to the required resources, it's really on the players.