ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent Skip to content

Enough with the mod news

HighspeedHighspeed Member Posts: 17 ★★

OWI it's time for an update that isn't mod related. Mods are nice, but when you've formed a gaming team around a specific game and it continues to be plagued by issues and promises go unfulfilled when is enough enough? What happened to the promise of getting back onto your 2 week sprint updates after releasing V2? I guess after you got all our money that all went out the window huh? I hope I'm not alone in saying you guys need to get your ducks in order here.

Comments

• RybecRybec CanadaMember Posts: 20 ★★

As much as I agree I don't care to see as much about the community event portion and would rather see unfinished things that are being worked on, the "I guess after you got all our money that all went out the window huh?" line is callous and stupid.

I want to see a work-in-progress vehicle or rifle too, or saying what the focus is on for unseen work would be cool.

Your post comes off as whiny even if I agree with some of what you say. Anyway here was a **** sandwich with the **** on both ends instead.

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 67 ★★

As far as I understand, after all the road bumps that have come up with the most recent updates, the developers have decided to stop releasing content for a bit while the work on fixing a bunch of bugs that have gone unaddressed. From what I've heard, they don't want to release something only for it to break the game in one way or another.

But of course, if they aren't doing exactly as you want they are a bunch of greedy folks right? They couldn't possibly have good intentions right?

• HighspeedHighspeed Member Posts: 17 ★★

Well communication goes a long way... I have a team of around 60+ members who feel jist as I do so...

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 67 ★★

Communication is something where the developers could certainly use a bit of extra work. It has always been one of my annoyances with the developers. Often in order to get the full picture, you are forced to gleam what information you can from forum posts here or there, from little bits posted in changelogs, etc. Unless you are someone like me, which I assume you aren't, who usually keeps up with most of the posts put out there, you are kinda left to your own conclusions. The part that always gets me is that those conclusions often end up attributing a bad motives where there are none, at least as far as I can see.

When you see a bug around forever and it hasn't been fixed, its fairly easy to assume that the developers don't care. With that it isn't a very far step to then come to the conclusion that they are greedy, that they are only in it for the money, customers be damned. That said, when you look a little deeper, you'll find that often these problems are being worked on by the developers or at the least acknowledged. You'll find that maybe it is a little more complicated, that maybe they haven't been able to pin down a cause, or even that they have pinned down a cause that is simply out of their control.

Again like you said, communication goes a long way. Especially since the development has switched focus to trying to clean up bugs for now, this would be a great time for a blog post or one of those development podcasts to go in depth on long standing bugs and why they are still around, what causes them, and what is being done about them. Again, when people are left to come up with their own answers, they tend to come up with the ones that are shaped by their frustrations.

• DubsDubs New ZealandMember Posts: 17 Moderator
    edited June 24

OWI is putting focus into cleaning up technical debt, about 5 years worth. This means system/code revisions(layer overhaul for example) on top of many other things. With this comes potential bugs/glitches and performance issues as the tech debt is sifted through. This is necessary though, as bringing everything up to date, opens new doors and also will help rid of legacy issues.

Another example is the DLC system rework coming, as the current system is less than ideal and has certain restrictions. This is needed to be done, for content like AUS Faction. Also means DLC factions can be integrated into the SDK.

There's a lot being done, content hasn't stopped being developed. It's not ideal to implement major systems and content on top of this, when you're essentially ripping out parts of the foundation and reworking it. The experience wouldn't be great.

Improvements in communication is needed, the main issue is there is communication, it's just spread across multiple areas - Discord, reddit, forums, steam forums, facebook etc and gets lost in time, and a lot of people miss it.

I understand you're frustrated, but venting in a negative manner isn't the way to handle things.