Skip to content

A10 and SU-25 Buff

istrikeri49istrikeri49 Member Posts: 9 Civilian

Okay, the A-10 and SU-25 at this point are basically useless against anything other than disabling a hab. Now I know there is a balance with these things, but I called in an A-10 right on top of a BTR-30, it managed not to move during the 1min or so it takes to fly in (Which I think is totally reasonable) got a direct hit, and it just drove away. If you are good enough\lucky enough to call an A-10 (A aircraft designed to kill tanks) on an armor asset and you mange to score a hit, especially with the time it takes to reach the target, I think you deserve to be rewarded for that with a burning pile of scrap that used to be an enemy armor asset.

The A-10 and Su-25 are at this point are only used for HAB disabling (not even destruction more than half the time) and that's all they are good for. If I am commander and don't use the A-10\Su-25 as soon as it is available I never will because it's better to wait for the Artillery then to use an air strike in 99.9% of circumstances (including armor). The effect an airstrike gives is cool, but I am disappointed as a commander every time I use it.

Tagged:

Comments

• XXPX1XXPX1 Member Posts: 45 ★★

I agree that airstrikes being essentially only used on HABs is kind of a lame meta. Ultimately I think it comes from the fact that the way you call in an airstrike is the same as an artillery barrage.

It would be nice if the Commander could laser designate a target similar to Project Reality, youtube video for those who are unfamiliar.

Since planes and attack helicopter are player controlled in PR, there would need to be a slightly different procedure.

First, I would make it so the Commander has to maintain the laser designation manually and retain line of sight on their target.

Then, I imagine you would initiate an airstrike similar to a UAV. A short period of time would have to pass for the sortie to get into the area. The aircraft would then orbit at high altitude for a minute or two. Within that time frame, the commander could laser designate a target then, using the T radial menu, confirm the strike to initiate the run.

This allows a commander to be a lot more precise but requires that the commander retain line of sight on the target. It also gives an observant enemy the chance to call out that the enemy airstrike is about to occur, so tanks and IFVs can retreat if they notice it.

• GeebusGeebus Member Posts: 56 ★★

I believe the developers plan to address this by overhauling the commander assets. It looks like they want to base the commander's supports around a point system that I would assume would allow the strikes to be called a bit more often than the strict timer system we have now.

Here is a link to the trello roadmap: https://trello.com/c/wvX1uu2F

• istrikeri49istrikeri49 Member Posts: 9 Civilian

I like this idea, because I am sure that part of the Devs reasoning behind why it is not a one hit kill on vehicles is that vehicles don't really have much of a chance to move before the "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt". But if the aircraft could be spotted before an attack run, that would make armor a little bit more on edge, creating a kind of gap of armor support for INF until a run is complete or the timer runs out.

Ultimately I would just like to see the Airstrike asset be more of a threat to armor, or just in general. Because right now the only time I fear the sound of a jet is when I'm standing next to a HAB.

EDIT: Totally meant to quote XXPX1 not Geebus and don't see a way to delete my comment.

I like this idea, because I am sure that part of the Devs reasoning behind why it is not a one hit kill on vehicles is that vehicles don't really have much of a chance to move before the "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt". But if the aircraft could be spotted before an attack run, that would make armor a little bit more on edge, creating a kind of gap of armor support for INF until a run is complete or the timer runs out.

Ultimately I would just like to see the Airstrike asset be more of a threat to armor, or just in general. Because right now the only time I fear the sound of a jet is when I'm standing next to a HAB.

Flag

Quote Insightful

Agree

• An0nym0usAn0nym0us Member Posts: 27 ★★

Too bad. People on reddit complained when they got BRRRTed, so no fun allowed for you young man!

• RybecRybec CanadaMember Posts: 20 ★★

I wish I could split quotes already.

First I really like the idea of a points system. The thought reminds me of World in Conflict where patience was rewarded with more useful and effective strikes but didn't render the cheaper ones obsolete.

Second with the idea of aircraft spotted before an attack run, you could have a sort of a loiter phase of aircraft (similar to how the drones can be called in and have them sitting there but not used) and you could decide "okay, now I will use it on X" with a shorter wait. Vehicles/infantry could be aware that the aircraft is in the area by paying attention to the sound and seeing the aircraft fly in the sky.

Isn't that just annoying. We get awesome commander assets, that can actually help change the direction of the fight and then they get nerfed for being used how intended. I mean truthfully I wouldn't mind if the splash damage was kept where it was at as long as the damage to vehicles was drastically improved.