Skip to content

Serverbrowser regionfilter when?

Dani3lDani3l Germany/NetherlandsMember Posts: 37

We've been waiting for 6 years, there are tons of chinese (massive ping) servers cluttering the serverbrowser when searching for a well-populated server. Please please please finally add this feature...

Comments

• soraflairsoraflair Member Posts: 53 ★★

Hmm, I think that because the servers are independently hosted, that they would need too add something on the server config side, that displays what region the server is in, and because there are not a lot of servers that are populated, this would further limit exposure, and I don't think you would get the server community onboard.

What I usually do is click the "ping" button on the top right, and sort by latency to find a good server, however a lot of servers are available with a pretty decent ping because i'm on the east coast, so this may not be as viable depending on where you are unfortunately.

• durkiedurkie Member Posts: 3 Civilian

I agree with soraflair, it would be hard to implement it.

What I do is favorite the servers in my region so it is easier to spot them in the server list. That way it is easier to scroll through the list and find the servers you are looking for.

• MunsterMunster Member Posts: 16 ★★

I sort servers by ping and favourite the servers I play on most often. Works well so far.

• OWI_JennyOWI_Jenny United KingdomMember Posts: 18 Dev

Can note it, but as @soraflair has mentioned it could impact a lot of servers in a negative way.

• Dani3lDani3l Germany/NetherlandsMember Posts: 37

Or then a ping-limiter (a field that a number can be written in), if that makes it a lot easier.

• PuotekPuotek Member Posts: 25 ★★

I agree that we need more filters for the server browser and I think that like @DanielNL said a ping filter for the server browser would be more than welcome. It can be really hard to find playable servers and the Server browser is very overwhelming for both new player and the more experienced ones.

A good temporary solution is to favourite all servers that you can play on with good ping and English/your language player base and then turn on Show only favourites in filters and sort by players.

However this solution can impact new servers in a negative way since only favourites show up for you. I personally check the server browser and add new servers from time to time, but in the future it would be nice to have a default max ping limit for the server browsers so that you wouldn’t have to see a lot of the severs that are just unplayable for you. There might be some other filters that would be nice to have but I dont have ideas for them atm.

Before I came across this post I also made a post about the ping filter you can find it here.

• Dani3lDani3l Germany/NetherlandsMember Posts: 37

OWI, it's getting super AWKWARD and nearly ridiculous!!! Come ooooon guys, pleeease! China is on the way of conquering the gaming-industry, please do something about it!! IF there's anything that's ruining the Squad-game-experience, it's THIS issue of finding a proper server!!

https://i.postimg.cc/s3mPc42y/OMG.jpg

• 3S_Moe3S_Moe Member Posts: 28 ★★

I got so annoyed with the extra traffic to countries that I will never play on that I just configured my firewall to block all traffic to/from China and Russia. It's amazing how much faster the server browser is now!

Sadly, I know not everyone will have the ability to configure their firewall in this manner. This is an enterprise grade firewall, not a standard home/consumer version. But as a proof of concept, it certainly shows how nice this can be to just block those servers all together!

OR... it could impact them in a positive way! Geo IP lists exists and are easy to implement in code. If we could put a check mark next to countries to exclude (such as China and Russia if you are in the US,) then those servers are also servicing a lot LESS requests from the US for match information from players that are simply never going to join them. You guys are always looking for ways to improve network performance. One of the best ways is to improve network performance is to prevent un-needed network traffic to begin with!