Sign in to follow this  
Spookyz

Squad Leads complaining about not spreading out.

ok it is getting extremely annoying that squad leads are complaining about people being too close to each other. Like in real life people are almost lose to each other, that's why it's called a team...I can understand if your literally right on the guy but if your like 2-3 yds behind him there should be no complaint. Now on the move is different and I can understand the concept of spreading out there but like when your raiding an enemy compound you should never spread out unless your squad lead tells a certain amound of people to infiltrate anoter side. But with this game atleast for me I get yelled at for being too close all the fucking time and recently yesterday the youtuber RhinoCrunch (who I was a fan of AT THE TIME) was my squad lead and right at the start of the game he started bitching and making fun of me and my squad mates right away about  being too close to one another which we were about 2 or 3 yards and not to mention we were capturing our first point and that's when I knew I had to make a post about the topic and unsub to the asshole.

You shouldn't be getting yelled at but I'm constantly telling my guys to spread out. You should be no closer than 10ft (around RPG instakill range). There are so many reasons why you shouldn't bunch up its silly and will literally take too long to type. The best advice I can give is to just take our word for it as the best practice!

Spacing is important. If your squad is always bunched up there will be a guy with a RPG just waiting to wipe you or an underarm grenade over a wall. Seeing two medics healing next to each other for example. Everyone needs to keep their distance as much as possible.

I always tell my team to spread out...grenades and RPGs are just way too deadly otherwise.

And its much harder for the enemie to kill your whole squad if he cant even see half of them 

salts.

I had a recent incident where the SL first explained for like a half hour how we are going to march to the OBJ...

Single formation and what not...

And he explained to us to not to fire etc etc... I just thought to myself... what a wonderful world... oopsie went off topic there... what a douche.

We obviously got our arses kicked due to not getting any objectives etc and the SL left us after we decided via direct to leave this nutcase cause he is doing us no good at all.

Funny moment though... ?He wanted to kick us of Squad and realised he will be all allone haha...

I understand if a SL gives a few ground rules like when to talk when to respawn and where to go and what to do. But for the sake of the game don't tell us in what formation to run across the friggin map...

Actually it would be agood idea before everyone spawns that the SL's have like a 2 minute pre- spawn to chat about what team is going to do what... Who is going where who is going to defend and who is going to flank...

BTW:

Have a Happy New Year.

hehe :D create formation is so powerfull. If team realy make it. 

I saw really great success with proper formation. This formation was talked before. Problem is that players are not used to it and they are more time confused. Because they dont know how formation work and what to do in it. 

But yeah its for more serious days not for common relax :) 

I get yelled at for being too close all the fucking time and recently yesterday the youtuber RhinoCrunch (who I was a fan of AT THE TIME) was my squad lead and right at the start of the game he started bitching and making fun of me and my squad mates right away about  being too close to one another which we were about 2 or 3 yards and not to mention we were capturing our first point and that's when I knew I had to make a post about the topic and unsub to the asshole.

RhinoCrunch is not a reference to military game sims.

I have noticed it is easy to spot SL's who have recently acquired Squad but come with an ArmA background by the way they organise formation and displacement and those that come from a PR/Squad background.

What a pleasant surprise to have encountered many vets over the last while, all of whom really enjoy Squad.

Keeping formation and don't bunch up is standard practice and should be respected at all times.

Set the example and others will follow.

Spacing is very important. Limits casualty count from explosives and also small arms fire. In advancing formations it can be the deciding factor in volume of fire, wider, looser formation means wider coverage and more secure flanks or in a column type formation can be optimal for fire sector coverage in multiple directions and limit casualty count if under fire in narrow advances, Also stops clumsy folk bumping into each other which is annoying. Applies not only ingame but in real life as well.

Sorry for mini wall of text, been drinking, happy new year! :D

salts.

I had a recent incident where the SL first explained for like a half hour how we are going to march to the OBJ...

Single formation and what not...

And he explained to us to not to fire etc etc... I just thought to myself... what a wonderful world... oopsie went off topic there... what a douche.

We obviously got our arses kicked due to not getting any objectives etc and the SL left us after we decided via direct to leave this nutcase cause he is doing us no good at all.

Funny moment though... ?He wanted to kick us of Squad and realised he will be all allone haha...

I understand if a SL gives a few ground rules like when to talk when to respawn and where to go and what to do. But for the sake of the game don't tell us in what formation to run across the friggin map...

Actually it would be agood idea before everyone spawns that the SL's have like a 2 minute pre- spawn to chat about what team is going to do what... Who is going where who is going to defend and who is going to flank...

BTW:

Have a Happy New Year.

This though...

Squad should be FUN! If I have a SL that tries to micro manage everything down to the letter I just leave. The best tactic in regards to this is being good at the basics (practicing until you are) and just sticking to em. Personally when I'm SL I'll just say we're going to X to do X. I'll give indications and pass info and request guys to come to me when I need a rally up, or to follow the game plan. But for the most part it's "stick to the basic plan, and if you can find something and kill it".

A good SL should be able to come up with a plan on-the-fly. From the get-go, the most important thing to do is get those early caps and keep pushing towards the middle objective (unless you're the squad tasked to flank). A whole squad shouldn't stop to build up a FOB before all the flags are capped, perhaps 1 and the SL stay to do that and once the bare minimums are done the SL should push forward to get a rally down.

(While I'm on this point, if the first flag is within a few hundred meters of the main spawn, for the fucking love of God stop building FOBs on it).

These are just a few things that people will learn with time, but for now we should keep educating players on effective tactics that win rounds. I say effective because there are some amazing tactics out there that in their own right are great, but they don't mesh with the overall game plan to effectively secure that all important, feel good, win!

Been shouted at is never going to get the best out of people in the game and especially with new players all walking on egg shells not just because of the enemy but from your SL but,that's not saying spacing between your squad members is not important either because it is and the more people play squad the more people come to understand this.I have notice more and more people are starting to do this by there self's to which when i SL i just tell them the basics on where we are going and in which direction, also keep medic's at the back and keep them informed on what other friendly squads are doing what on the map.

Telling new people the basics is good but shouting is just going to get you nowhere.

There's yelling at and there's yelling to. Just treat people like human beings. No one likes to be verbally accosted over the internet, I got it, sometimes things go down in game and adrenaline pumps and tempers will fly, but the moment an SL starts harassing his Squadmates like that, is the moment he does the opposite of what the role implies and is worthless. However, if you or other squad mates aren't listening to what he's asking and lonewolfing, then you have no one to blame but yourself. 

As for the spacing...

https://youtu.be/RuMOBrL2vLQ?t=403

An SL won't have much of an "S" to "L" if half of his guys get wiped by one well placed grenade. We're there to give direction and we don't constantly remind just cause, (we kinda have to with randoms) we're looking out to keep you alive so you can be a part those sweet unique Squad moments. You just have to meet us half way and follow instructions.  ;)

Maybe you're getting yelled at all the time, because you're bunched up all the time, because you're not listening to your SL's instructions to begin with?

Some Leaders in general talk down to their members, That's not how good leadership works. You need your squad to like you and trust you, I've learned this through doing goruck event's.

When everyone is in pain and you are all carrying heavy shit things are different. You learn how to communicate with eachother.

I feel like people have already touched on the importance of dispersion because of grenades and RPGs, but one thing you also have to take into account is if you have dispersion and were to take contact, the enemy doesn't know where everyone is.  If the enemy squad opens up on the point man, but isn't quite sure where the other 6, 7 guys are the chances that you will be able to flank and get the upper hand is extremely high.

If you don't want to listen to your squad leader just leave the squad..

Edit* Now I mean 10m to 15m dispersion if able to, In the Marines we were taught if you can see the person in front of you, you're good (within reason).  Formations should be dynamic and free flowing, when I squad lead I don't mind if people don't stay in formation esp if they are taking accountability and checking something out I didn't see or notice, that's a good squad member.

Common sense goes a long way.

Here is what you can do, and it takes no effort.

Look around you to see how close you are to friendlies.

Then ask yourself this...

How many would I teamkill if I dropped a nade or RPG in here?

Cause that is how many an enemy will kill if he throws a nade or fires an RPG at you.

Stacking up on squad leader or team is generally a bad idea for that reason, obviously.

However, I do understand why people do it. Most players want to teamwork and stick with their squad. If spaced out too much it is easy to get separated from the squad, lose sight of teammates and end up in a bad location or worst case end up dead. So players bunch up, perhaps more than advisable.

The key however is communication. Say when you want squad to halt. Say when you start moving again. State a destination, or even mark it on map, so squaddies know where to move towards without needing to constantly see teammates to know where to go. Unlike real life the game offers a live updated map with single keypress which allows us to quickly see where we are, squaddies are and, if SL sets marker, where we are going.

I will freely admit that I often fall behind the squad. This is mostly cause I play medic so I don't want to be first in squad to suck on an RPG. Instead I hang back and face opposite direction of where we are going to provide rear security. But when Squad leader moves up without saying anything, everyone follows and I end straggling.

Anyways... I am rambling. It all boils down to:

Common sense.

Communication.

Ridiculing you isn't good leadership. Spreading out is quite important though.

Yesterday I was playing on a night map (cant remember the map names) and was defending the hills next to the city. Saw two or three enemies run out of the town and into the hills. I followed them 20 sec later and nearly got a heart attack when I walked up on a FULL 9-MAN SQUAD laying prone in a neat little circle in a 10ft circular depression in the hill, maybe 3 ft away. I went prone as fast as I could, got a nade out, lobbed it right into the ditch (close range throw), switched to auto machine gun and sprayed down the 2 that weren't instantly killed. Full squad wiped in 2 seconds by one guy because they were briefing without spreading and not watching their backs. Truly special moment to experience.

As a real life team and squad leader in Afghanistan I spent most of my time telling people to spread out.  If your 2-3 yards from the next closest guy YES you are too close.  He wants everyone out of frag/launched grenade radius. 

Its also common sense if EVERYONE is on you about the same thing then maybe you should get a clue. 

i think you all miss the point where he says "2 - 3 yards apart" that is way more than 10 ft. he was safe yet he still was getting yelled at.

Its also common sense if EVERYONE is on you about the same thing then maybe you should get a clue.

From the movie 'Lucky Number Slevin":

The Rabbi: My father used to say: "The first time someone calls you a horse you punch him on the nose, the second time someone calls you a horse you call him a jerk but the third time someone calls you a horse, well then perhaps it's time to go shopping for a saddle."

Figured it held some relevance :) (ps. Great movie too)

Raul, just to be clear, 3 yards is less than 10 feet...

9 feet, that one feet does not mean much...all within the realm of reason anyways plus i doubt that 1 feet is enough reason to make fun of people for :/

now on to this,

did someone say the name "Lucky number Slevin?"  great damn movie that was.