Sign in to follow this  
Wadziu

StarCitizen's take on stamina, stance and breathing systems

Read the article here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14653-Design-FPS-Stances-Breathing

Since SC's First Person Shooter module is also aiming for true first person character realistic gameplay I think it would be cool to discuss some of the mechanics they decided to implement. Module itself should be playable for all the backers next month so it could be cool testing ground for those systems.

Personally I like the 3 stances approach, it seams to be similiar to ARMA 3 "c" button, we will see if it's contextual or just tied to a button press, but it would eliminate that weird feel when people can walk for an hour with heavy weapons like M249 in ready stance and their arms not falling off :)  

The stamina systems itself resemblance the PR system with numerous actions depleting stamina bar with that difference that it has effect on all around soldier performance like; running, aiming, breathing etc. and not only "you cant sprint for now" also something I would really like to see in Squad.

The last somehow controversial system is the breathing where your character is doing full breathing cycle(not just random weapons sway) with those perfect to shoot moments when you are the top or the bottom of a breath with the cycle speed itself tied to a stamina level. It definitely sound like a interesting system that no game has done before and I am really looking forward to test it myself! Though i think it could be "too much" for a Squad  :P

Sounds really really good. Only thing I'm not too sure about is your movement speed and manoeuvrability being affected so much depending which aim stance you're at. That and not being able to outright sprint when in ADS stance, it's like the game telling you you can't be overwhelmed by enemies when you're ADS.

That said - breathing cycle, stamina system and hold breathe function seem perfect. Looking forward to the release.

One thing that annoyed me in Arma 3 was the fatigue system where when you sprint for a period of time you are force to walk slow because you are tired. I don't want that in Squad it needs to be balanced.

but it would eliminate that weird feel when people can walk for an hour with heavy weapons like M249 in ready stance and their arms not falling off 

In ArmA 3 your speed, stance and having your weapon raised/lowered/combat pace all affect your stamina, which affects your ability to aim and your maximum speed. The most conservative combination is combat pace (Slower than jog), weapon lowered (Not tiring your arms), standing; The most taxing is crouched (Moving while crouched really is tiring), weapon raised in combat pace. You'll be really low on stamina after like 100m in that state. The weight of your gear also factors into this in a big way.

One thing that annoyed me in Arma 3 was the fatigue system where when you sprint for a period of time you are force to walk slow because you are tired. I don't want that in Squad it needs to be balanced.

Why, because it means you'd have to be conservative with your movements? There's nothing unbalanced about it when everyone's subject to the stamina system. It also promotes the use of transports. There are plenty of ways to maintain a high pace of movement in ArmA 3, granted it's not the most fluid system in terms of controlling it but all it takes is an hour of gameplay til you've learned its ins and outs. I strongly recommend getting the ST Stamina Bar which helps visualise how worn out you're getting - If you're getting to around 50% you need only stop for 20 seconds to get it back down; depending on your loadout and the terrain you're traversing it's possible to move constantly without even reaching that point.