ParaPlays

Q: How to keep your Squad motivated on Defence?

When I play Squad leader in game, I find my Squad tends to be more on defence. This is mainly because other squads seem highly intent on attacking, even when there is no point and they have two beautiful shiny compounds to defend. Even as I get on Squad leader radio and yell, "No point attacking, get your ass back, and help defend the 2 compounds" they usually ignore me as they run head long into the wilderness leaving my squad on their own to defend.

My main question here is to other squad leaders. I set my squad up, and sometimes fob up, getting defences in place, build barricades on roofs for the mlaw and saw gunners, ammo boxes ect, but then the crutch happens.

I always feel my squad are itching to leave and get into the pointless clusterf... of a firefight further out. I feel I need to keep them occupied as they have been here for 5 mins, with no enemy contacts, they are too busy fighting over a non attainable area.

Giving my squad updates from Squad leaders is something I do a lot of. But it always comes back to feeling I need to give them something to do. Personally when not being squad leader, and playing as rpk or saw gunner, I enjoy just laying there, waiting, listening to the gun fights in the distance, it's the clam before the storm.

Do any other squad leaders feel this pressure to keep their squads busy, an aching thorn in your side knowing they are getting board, or it just me being over aware of my squads eagerness to join the other fools who just don't get 'defence' is key?

Para.  ^_^

Yeah I'd have to say keeping things light hearted with plenty of banter helps pass the time. Not easy to do with a bunch of guys you've not played with before, but that's the best I could think of.

A good squad leader is always anxious about how his squad is feeling. Make them dig shit, can even be pointless shit who cares. Maybe if it's a really long wait send a couple out on patrols, when the first two get back send another group. Just a suggestion, never actually done it before

Yes good idea, Paul. I have done that before send two out to find enemy fob, and report back without engaging.

I offer a detailed reason about the whole map and how the battlefield is looking in order to justify why we need to defend.

It works.

Socrates style.

A good defense, I have found, does these key things:

• Keeps a healthy spacing
  • Stays maneuverable
  • Does not restrict their view of the battlefield
  • Posts overwatch

Defense is a challenge fundamentally due to the attackers having that attacking initiative. However, you can counter most attacks with those 4 starting key points and a competent defending element.

I keep my defenses engaged and entertained by giving them jobs to do. Help me fortify, help me put down practical ammo crates, people with magnified optics move to overwatch positions and report intel, etc.

The best thing to do for defense is patrol within a reasonable distance of your OBJ... Keep your rally in a decent position aswell as a fob if possible.

I always find this more exciting than sitting on a objective waiting to get ambushed.

i run 2 fire teams 4/4 and SL 1 medic in both teams and have 1 fireteam intight on the objective and the others outer perimeter partol.. keeps em entertained.

I keep my squad very well informed when we hunker down for a drawn out boring defense. 

I've found that the more they know and the more often they're reminded of why they're defending, how important it is that they do given the situation, and what the other SL's are up to, the more they stay on task and are content with sitting put. Especially when another squad is in the thick of it and we're just watching, I'll spin them up on whats going down so they know what they're walking into when I let them off the leash and move to help the attack.

For me, it really depends what the situation.

sometimes i sympathize with them, other times i let half of them go "get in the fight" until i beckon for them

Good question actually Para. Im not a fan of fob building but i like to do what i call 'mobile defense'.

I will stand on high ground within capzone and spot enemies sneaking on our flank mounting an attack and send out kill squads to eliminate them.

The exact methods though i employ will remain my SL 'trade secret' :)

Also i dont do banter (i suck at it) so only entertainment i offer in my squad is of tactical nature.

The best fights I've had as a medic have been in a defensive FOB. Had one this morning, we were barricading and shooting back. It was intense.

From a non SL point of view, get us digging and keep us informed. And don't let squad 2 in because they're just idiots.

and don't let squad 2 in because they're just idiots.

man.. the feeling of frustration when other squads spawn on the sneaky radio you put down and just shoot randomly for no reason...

man.. the feeling of frustration when other squads spawn on the sneaky radio you put down and just shoot randomly for no reason...

Or, the feeling when someone in your squad pops rounds off when you're in the middle of a sneaky maneuver that calls for surprise to actually be effective...

Me: "What the hell?! Who's firing?! I said don't fire!!" 

Inept Squadmate: "I swear he was looking in my general direction through all this dense foliage from 300 meters with nothing but irons! I swear he saw me!" 

However, I would say that us ea entrants are getting a lot better. For the last few days I've landed in a good cooperative squad.

Us EA intake are improving and as we learn the game mechanics I think defensive orders from the squad leader will get easier for the SL. Hopefully.

And to all the SL's, I thank you for the fun I've had in the last week or so.

I like it when you have frequent 2 and 3 man patrols and rotate it between squad members emphasizing that the purpose of the patrol is to get eyes on and to report any movement. It's key in my opinion to have a medic or a person with optics in that patrol to encourage stealth and cover. Not a fan of fob craft. Building up fortifications can lead to a false sense of security and your squad's ultimate ticket bleed, because you created essentially a death trap.

Split the squad and have some of them patrol the area. It gives them something to do and if we are really doing well I may even send them to assist the attack. I always find that a defence team that just sits in one place for a long time will get overwhelmed so you need to push out.

Good chat and keeping them informed of what's happening. Discuss a plan of action.

Best form of defense is attack,

Dont become a camper and then complain when you get spawn camped. Due to not having any bases. 

Best form of defense is attack,

Dont become a camper and then complain when you get spawn camped. Due to not having any bases. 

Thats not really relevant. You cannot have your entire team on attack.. that is a sure fire way to lose the round.

Thats not really relevant. You cannot have your entire team on attack.. that is a sure fire way to lose the round.

Defense isn't restricted to passively sitting on a flag, building fortifications. Active defense involves patrolling and maneuvers, testing and delaying the enemy advance, screening important objectives and positions, is a far superior option. Leaving a skeleton crew to notify you of enemy contacts on the defensive flag while the rest of your squad is on offense is another. As long as your squad maintains its mobility, and as long as secure spawn locations are available to reinforce the defensive flag, there really isn't much need to have a substantial force on the flag itself.

Defense isn't restricted to passively sitting on a flag, building fortifications. Active defense involves patrolling and maneuvers, testing and delaying the enemy advance, screening important objectives and positions, is a far superior option. Leaving a skeleton crew to notify you of enemy contacts on the defensive flag while the rest of your squad is on offense is another. As long as your squad maintains its mobility, and as long as secure spawn locations are available to reinforce the defensive flag, there really isn't much need to have a substantial force on the flag itself.

It still wasn't really relevant. The topic is technically about how to keep your defensive squad motivated, not what an effective defense is made of :)