Sign in to follow this  
AddictOfGames

AMD VoIP Fix?

Hello, I have recently bought this game even though the warnings of many AMD users told me to wait. I'll get straight to the point. I have respect for Squad's developers reaching out to UE4 to fix performance for AMD, but I have recently came across a website on the Unreal Engine website (won't post it because of forum rules) that describes the reason for the FPS stutters. The issues are mainly due to procedural and VoIP buffer and the amount of cycles (ms) needed to end a process called "DestroyVoice", causing other sounds to freeze and/or blocking other threads. This is not an easy fix, as mentioned by the developers.         According to Tim Lincoln, a staff member at UE, he stated this: " I did get in touch with the audio engineer for the Engine, and he mentioned that he did not have any additional insight into this issue. He mentioned that this isn't something we would be able to fix since the audio engine is currently running in the main thread, and moving it out, or using voice pools, would be a major project. We do have a long-term plan to re-write the audio engine, and this is most likely something that will be taken into consideration whenever that happens.

~ Tim" 

This quote makes it seem as if there is nothing Squad can do, to optimize for AMD graphic chips. I myself have tried changing the setting of MaxChannels to 32, but to no avail. I guess the real question is, can it really be fixed?

- Addict

Im in the same boat. I just built a new pc and went with Intel for my cpu. I can tell you night and day difference. But I kept going with and for gpu. I'm done with amd, there price/performance is way better than nvidia but the drivers are just terrible. Bought a ati r9 390 gpu and regret it every day

@Yabizar, I completely regret getting AMD too. Especially since I've been looking forward to this game for a while, when everyone thought it would be called 'PR2'. Probably going to research into Intel next time. For those of you who have AMD, I recommend sticking to <20 people servers; less people, less lag. 

I did read a post from Tim also he said that in testing he didn't find that amd cpu's did horrible and that a small fix by pooling Xaudio2 for some did resolve the main thread lockup. Although this was more of a hack patch as Tim said he was unable to find this lockup that we have seen

Hello, I have recently bought this game even though the warnings of many AMD users told me to wait. I'll get straight to the point. I have respect for Squad's developers reaching out to UE4 to fix performance for AMD, but I have recently came across a website on the Unreal Engine website (won't post it because of forum rules) that describes the reason for the FPS stutters. The issues are mainly due to procedural and VoIP buffer and the amount of cycles (ms) needed to end a process called "DestroyVoice", causing other sounds to freeze and/or blocking other threads. This is not an easy fix, as mentioned by the developers.         According to Tim Lincoln, a staff member at UE, he stated this: " I did get in touch with the audio engineer for the Engine, and he mentioned that he did not have any additional insight into this issue. He mentioned that this isn't something we would be able to fix since the audio engine is currently running in the main thread, and moving it out, or using voice pools, would be a major project. We do have a long-term plan to re-write the audio engine, and this is most likely something that will be taken into consideration whenever that happens.

~ Tim" 

This quote makes it seem as if there is nothing Squad can do, to optimize for AMD graphic chips. I myself have tried changing the setting of MaxChannels to 32, but to no avail. I guess the real question is, can it really be fixed?

- Addict

@Yabizar, I completely regret getting AMD too. Especially since I've been looking forward to this game for a while, when everyone thought it would be called 'PR2'. Probably going to research into Intel next time. For those of you who have AMD, I recommend sticking to <20 people servers; less people, less lag. 

Would you mind sharing those links?

Would you mind sharing those links?

<https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/241358/amd-cpu-very-low-performance-because-ixaudio2sourc.html.>

Here you go. 

Edit: 

Apparently, the support for this website is currently down. I will try and screenshot the website and post it as a picture on this forum but I cannot quite figure it out. 

Go to the search engine of the website and pop this in: 

AMD CPU very low performance because IXAudio2SourceVoice::DestroyVoice

The first article is the right one. 

Im in the same boat. I just built a new pc and went with Intel for my cpu. I can tell you night and day difference. But I kept going with and for gpu. I'm done with amd, there price/performance is way better than nvidia but the drivers are just terrible. Bought a ati r9 390 gpu and regret it every day

Strange thing is that for me its the other way around, have been using Nvidia cards for years and i got sick of the bad drivers that gave poor performance or added problems, like a strange shadow pattern that happens with using a HDMI cable back 3 years ago, one time i even installed a new driver and it made my graphic card go nuts, fan full speed, i had to completely reinstall windows because of the corruption in the system! I than switched to AMD and now got a Radeon AMD R9 290x and never had issues again. Probably the best card i had so far.

Sorry I didn't see my typo amd did not perform horrible it was working fine with a 50-70ms compared to Intel 20-40ms and the pooling of Xaudio2 did work but its a very unliked way of doing it

The problem is AMD CPU's, not GPU's.  Not aware anyone having AMD GPU issues.  Can attempt to help if so.

I built a rig with Intel 4690k and AMD 390 like 2nd poster and nary an issue so far.