MethBunny

A Reply to Developer Z-Trooper on "gore" thread.

For hit detection, yes there should be a small amount if dust/blood spatter/pink mist, etc. But to make it gratuitous and grizzly would add nothing and risk unwanted and avoidable attention from classification boards in certain regions.

Dust is also only really a relevant visual feedback if the person is actually covered in dust..

My post was worded incorrectly; I revised it to make my meaning more clear. I'm not saying blood is bad and we should all have dust shoot out of everyone instead of it, I meant the misty hits and spatters work fine.

Look at those real life shots.. where's the gore? I guess real life is lacking immersion too then...

dude, cmon. you know theres all kinds of images/videos online from the battlefields to syria and iraq etc., that are way too gruesome to post here

Blood spatter on a wall after a teammate gets hit would be nice to help you identify the direction where the shot came from. Maybe some stained clothing where he was hit. Doesn't have to be extreme. There's a good middle ground here and some practical uses for it.

Blood spatter on a wall after a teammate gets hit would be nice to help you identify the direction where the shot came from. Maybe some stained clothing where he was hit. Doesn't have to be extreme. There's a good middle ground here and some practical uses for it.

it it will only happen if the bullet makes an exit wound. Most soldiers in Squad have protection around their bodies. 

So when I've read the last page talking about gore here I feel people are strawmanning the SHIT out of it.

Romagnolo and others were NOT talking about adding a huge cloud of blood on hit or huge spatters or gibs/dismemberment or whatever the hell people seem to extrapolate it to. As I said this is not Killing Floor nor should it be.

What I would like is to see a little bit more visual feedback for a hit when you're checking a casualty for medevac - a realistic sized blood splat on the ground, localised patches of blood on the uniform in the hit location, that kind of thing. If we steer clear of dismemberment and we acknowledge that pitching it at a level below Red Orchestra 2 won't get it banned or censored in any countries with SQUAD players (see this post for proof) then I don't see why this is a problem. 

If the devs put in a graphical option for gore on/off this then covers absolutely everybody. The people who want a bit of blood are happy, as are those who want laser tag.

So when I've read the last page talking about gore here I feel people are strawmanning the SHIT out of it.

Romagnolo and others were NOT talking about adding a huge cloud of blood on hit or huge spatters or gibs/dismemberment or whatever the hell people seem to extrapolate it to. As I said this is not Killing Floor nor should it be.

What I would like is to see a little bit more visual feedback for a hit when you're checking a casualty for medevac - a realistic sized blood splat on the ground, localised patches of blood on the uniform in the hit location, that kind of thing. If we steer clear of dismemberment and we acknowledge that pitching it at a level below Red Orchestra 2 won't get it banned or censored in any countries with SQUAD players (see this post for proof) then I don't see why this is a problem. 

If the devs put in a graphical option for gore on/off this then covers absolutely everybody. The people who want a bit of blood are happy, as are those who want laser tag.

Lol laser tag, as op i completely agree with you here.

I'd like to perform a psychoanalysis on some of the posters here...  :unsure:

I mostly agree with this, however take your logic and rational thought and get out of 'ere!  :D

This sounds reasonable.

Checked http://www.classification.gov.au and apparently Arma 3, RO2/RS, Rainbow Six: Siege, CS:GO all got a 15+ rating in Australia, but they seem to have a stick up their bum regarding drugs instead. Are there any other countries worth checking?

This sounds reasonable.

Checked http://www.classification.gov.au and apparently Arma 3, RO2/RS, Rainbow Six: Siege, CS:GO all got a 15+ rating in Australia, but they seem to have a stick up their bum regarding drugs instead. Are there any other countries worth checking?

What usually get's the censors going is drug use or sexual violence since adults can't handle that sort of thing being represented in a game, no matter the context.

So unless you could see someones dong when they're bleeding out then something like r3volution's suggestion should be fine by the Australian board at least.

doesn't need to be in the game at all.. you want immersion of gore join the forces become a medic or be a civilian doctor/ambo, if you really want gore run away become a merc and see what gore is like with sweet FA supply's or training.

Only goes to show how pathetic our overprotecting laws have become (censoring speech, gestures, symbols and blood) but i reckon this is not the time, nor the place, to discus anarchy.

gore is something i dont care for what i do care for is something to let me know i got a hit. small blood splatter is a good way to do this without the hit marker from COD.

nothing overdone. just a simple thing to let me know and its not doom level of gore. 

in america have that be red and in other places change to dust. /done

OK so from what I can see there are two countries to be concerned about in terms of censorship. Australia and Germany.

There are games available which have easily made it through censors in both countries which exceed the level of gore which which is being proposed for SQUAD in this thread.

So if there is a realistic sized blood splatter and some localised blood on model hit locations, SQUAD will not be censored or restricted in these countries. Therefore the censorship debate seems to be over.

So now it is down to a question of whether or not this would be something the Devs would do as a means of adding authenticity.

I would propose 3 options to cater to the community's desires in this regard, accessed thru gameplay options.

Blood & Gore on

Brown Blood & Gore on (for people who don't want the blood per se but see it as useful for gameplay)

No blood & gore (for those who want the sanitised version)

Thus we have options to cater to the whole crowd, much in a manner that other games cater to the whole crowd, multiplayer is not impacted in any significant way, no risk of censorship and everyone seems to be able to get what they would want...

OK so from what I can see there are two countries to be concerned about in terms of censorship. Australia and Germany.

There are games available which have easily made it through censors in both countries which exceed the level of gore which which is being proposed for SQUAD in this thread.

So if there is a realistic sized blood splatter and some localised blood on model hit locations, SQUAD will not be censored or restricted in these countries. Therefore the censorship debate seems to be over.

So now it is down to a question of whether or not this would be something the Devs would do as a means of adding authenticity.

I would propose 3 options to cater to the community's desires in this regard, accessed thru gameplay options.

Blood & Gore on

Brown Blood & Gore on (for people who don't want the blood per se but see it as useful for gameplay)

Thus we have options to cater to the whole crowd, much in a manner that other games cater to the whole crowd, multiplayer is not impacted in any significant way, no risk of censorship and everyone seems to be able to get what they would want...

Agreed, the more (options) the merrier.

Blood & Gore on

You've set your levels on what you want to see and have not really defined what gore is in this.

What is Blood & Gore on? Full on dismemberment and arterial blood sprays? If so, no thanks.

What is Brown Blood & Gore? As above but with brown blood? Sounds crap, no thanks.

No blood & gore. Pretty much what we have now. I want a bit more blood on injured body parts and blood pooling on ground when the injured party has laid there a little while and no dismemberment. So it's a no thanks to this option as well. 

Major Trouble sorry I thought I'd defined pretty closely what I wanted to see in the game.

No dismemberment.

Localised realistic blood spatter on ground/wall at a location where someone's been hit and small pools where they've been on the ground (I have seen this happen - on animals only thankfully) and;

Localised blood patch on the player model at the hit location.

So when I say blood and gore, the above is all I am talking about.

That is all I want to see, and from what I have read, all most people want to see in the game. Nobody wants this to be a dismemberment fest that I can see.

The brown is a way of allowing people to have the gameplay enhancements without offending whatever sensibilities they might have. Honestly though if they feel like this I'd suggest Splatoon might be a preferable gaming alternative...  ;)

Major Trouble sorry I thought I'd defined pretty closely what I wanted to see in the game.

No dismemberment.

Localised realistic blood spatter on ground/wall at a location where someone's been hit and small pools where they've been on the ground (I have seen this happen - on animals only thankfully) and;

Localised blood patch on the player model at the hit location.

So when I say blood and gore, the above is all I am talking about.

That is all I want to see, and from what I have read, all most people want to see in the game. Nobody wants this to be a dismemberment fest that I can see.

Good suggestions, these are basically par for the course. I think most people advocating against gore are simply advocating against moving past things like you listed, and aren't asking for laser tag. There are plenty of people asking for body parts, a quick search for "gore" on the forums will prove it. Most people in this thread seem to be on the same page of just enough but not gratuitous.

Squad doesn't need it. There are thousands of Germans and Australians that play Squad. I'd hate to see them unable to play because of some blood n guts which has little impact on the gameplay.

You may have but with so much input back and forth it's hard to remember who said what. At least for me it is. Sorry to be pedantic about it but you just said blood & gore and I didn't really know what you specifically were advocating by that.

r3volution has some really good ideas. However i just want to remind everyone of the specific means for this post. The devs apparently have already implemented some sort of blood/gore effect in the testing stage of squad at some point in the past (check op for details). I think it would be nice just to get some screenshots of them and see how the community reacts.

Squad doesn't need it. There are thousands of Germans and Australians that play Squad. I'd hate to see them unable to play because of some blood n guts which has little impact on the gameplay.

OMG! Who says about "guts"?! Stop deliberately exaggerating and being ridiculous. People only ask of some round specs of red texture on model to indicate dead or wounded needing healing.  

Germans themselves stated here that in their country even more bloodier and violent games are released no problem now(fallout red orchestra all modern games have it, and actually all old games too, I remember ancient Syphon Filter ps1 game who had red spot texture on shot place and it released in germany no prob too). But even then, just to be safe, to those sensitive countries would be offered different, kids friendly version, where round red texture specs would be invisible. So THEY WILL PLAY this game, texture visibility off on would be client side, so all would be able to play in common server. This part of your reasoning is closed.

Plus, there could be toggle round red texture visibility on or off option for sensitive people like you too in more liberal countries.

Why are you trying to forcefully impose your will on other people who want this? I don't understand.  

Wook if you read up a few posts you can see that the German and Australian members of the forum are saying that a level of blood such as I described in my earlier post would sail past censors in both countries without a problem. This has been resolved as a non-issue.

Generally, thanks for the endorsement peeps.

The devs definitely have about fifty million other things to work on higher priority than this, however as a fair portion of the community view it, this would be something which would eventually be hugely beneficial to SQUAD in a gameplay as well as an immersion sense. Not to mention that the implementation I've proposed above is totally optional in its usage.

funny thread, u think you are grown enough just by sawing fews videos that showed no blood on soldiers when they got hit ?

really?

type gore in google and click at the first website , go for syria sections , thank you now your eyes had been opened

there are a lot of footages which covered in gore, blood and stuff but they arent showing on your beautiful world because its disgusting

i'm agreed no blood sometime its realistic but most of the time arent ... it depend on how you get hit

before you go for some gore websites just remember its not for kids who living in the beautiful world

those websites is very violent. even you are more than 18+ might can not accept what you will see in there