Gatuso86

Sound ??? Direction

Hey Guys,

Is it me or everyone else while in the game you find hard to find who is shooting and to which direction ??? and when being shot finding it hard to see where it is coming from ? i dont have the best headset but on other games i do get LEFT / RIGHT speakers ushally mking it easy to find where it is coming from. i know its alpha game and most probs be working on it but would just like to ask the question but i love the game :)

I use headphones and I noticed something similar. Last game there was a MG gunner shooting 50 m behind me but i heard it like it would be in front of me and very close.

Honestly, the Right/Left is normal for myself, but I use surround.  I think the sounds are fine....

Now to your next point about not knowing where and not being able to see.  In real life contact situations, even more so in Afghanistan and the mountain ranges the have there...Usually more than not, Soldiers and Troops can not see where the shots are coming from.  You do have a bit of a 6th sense that comes into play and sometimes you can feel the air move around you while bullets are flying....Most of the time in contact you just yell out a distance and direction and shoot that way.  Basically most firefights are shooting at mountains and people you cant even see.  

"Shoot over there, Now shoot over at that rock formation"  Its pure chaos in real life, and this game does a good job of making that crazy feeling.  

My new mother board has the Sound Blaster Cinema 2 and it works great with sound direction. I love it. The mother board is the MSI z97 Gaming 5 board.

It does happens to me from time to time, but most the time it's easy to differentiate the gunshot position. Kinda weird this happens though. 

I also can never tell which direction or how far the shots are coming from... tried messing with my audio settings, changing headphones, but no luck

I believe this is a bug that was introduced since v3.0. It's most noticeable on large open maps; battle far off in the distance but it sounds like its in your immediate proximity (forcing you and your squad-mates to search around your area endlessly), only to find out no one is there. If you're very unlucky... a sniper notices you all circling around and starts picking you off. It seems to occur randomly though not consistent enough to pin down. 

I have the same issue. It's like people are firing right next to you, when they aren't at all. Plus it's really hard to figure out where people are firing from. Not even a guesstimate.

Don't have these issues in any other game. Right now this is kind of a game breaker for me, as I can't enjoy the game as much as I'd like.

Alpha and all, so I'm confident things will be better ;).

I believe this is a bug that was introduced since v3.0. It's most noticeable on large open maps; battle far off in the distance but it sounds like its in your immediate proximity (forcing you and your squad-mates to search around your area endlessly), only to find out no one is there. If you're very unlucky... a sniper notices you all circling around and starts picking you off. It seems to occur randomly though not consistent enough to pin down. 

I have noticed it as well, it was fine before, i always have been very good in identifying where shots come from in videogames, got very good hearing, a good audiocard and a very clear headset (Sennheiser). But indeed after the 3.0 update i have heard shots not coming from the direction i think they are coming. I think it might also have to do with the amount of people on the server, when you are in a 70 server the weapon sounds starting to bug out.

Positional audio is very poor/ non-existent atm, we share your pain.

I don't know. I need more hands to count the number of times I've found a "sniper" and executed them from behind with my pistol simply because I could locate them with sound.

I don't know. I need more hands to count the number of times I've found a "sniper" and executed them from behind with my pistol simply because I could locate them with sound.

Yes i agree with this, but last night myself and my buddies did the usual hunt for a guy that was def danger close, and 10 minutes of searching and couldnt find him in an open hill top.   People would die, we would see them drop and hear the shot and go back hunting...never did find him.  There might be a bug that people are not finding because not everyone thinks like us and enjoys a good hunt.  Personally anytime I hear the SVD and its close, its on!

My only gripe with the sounds is that when walking alone I keep thinking someone is following me, I have 5.1 headphones and for some reason I can always hear footsteps over my shoulder? It's clearly the sound of my own character walking but it seems to be delayed a little so always sounds like it's coming from behind me. I'm forever turning round just to see that no one is actually there.

I would have to agree, many times i find myself asking my squad where the gunfire is coming from, its almost like i hear distant gun shots with no noticeable stereo separation. As a mixing and mastering engineer (pre mastering to be technical) for audio, i would suggest the devs address the issue of position of gun fire, to location of player and frequency separation of gun fire with more noticeable panning.

Sound is off some. Your hearing fire mode to off the map. Not that its a huge problem because you can just pop up Map and see if you have anyone around that area.

I too have noticed this problem with the sound blaster Z series.

Ive made adjustments to the 3p gunfire sounds for the next update. They will not be that loud further away and should be easier to locate the source now. Will experiment further on, but I think it will be better in the next update. Stay tuned guys. :)

Ive made adjustments to the 3p gunfire sounds for the next update. They will not be that loud further away and should be easier to locate the source now. Will experiment further on, but I think it will be better in the next update. Stay tuned guys. :)

Ah thats good to 'hear' :)

i hope so because i was getting bugs,hearing mg fire right beside me,and i was like 500m behind front

Wow quick response to a "not so much" an issue. As it is now, its easy to identify something is off. But your right, fire mode does shoot off the map. I have caught myself scouting out deep and nobody is there.

Mostly spawn campers, you know what i mean?