Sign in to follow this  
Scandicci

lag spikes

Hello All!

I am a BF2:PR veteran from version 0.6! 

I downloaded Squad on Steam and starting playing tonight. 

I have a decent rig. 

Processor Intel® Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

My GPU is GTX 770 with 2 GB of VRAM. 

Windows 10.

When I turned quickly, or was in CQB I lagged so badly that I could not really play. It would actually freeze up on me and then obviously I was usually dead since the other guy presumably was not lagging. 

Any help or idea are much appreciated. I am really excited to see how Squad develops. 

Thanks!

Scandicci

Hi Scandicci and welcome to Squad,

Did you try changing your ingame graphics settings?

Try lowering texture settings if you have only 2 GB of Vram.

I lowered the overall graphics settings to MED and completely turned off Anti-Aliasing (spelling). I played a few rounds today and my fps rarely dropped below 20-30 and was consistently around 50, which is totally playable for me. I did get much higher fps occasionally. The map I played was more open terrain and we did not engage the enemy team in CQB situations. With the lower graphics settings the game does not look so hot, though. The edges of shadows were extremely blocky. The shadow of my avatar was very blocky. I tried turning AA back on to the lowest settings and the visuals increased a bit without any noticeable detriment to performance. I am very excited about the possibilities for the future of this game. There were alot of people online today but the gameplay was quite good. The teamwork was good. 

Glad you got it sorted out!  This community is growing in an awesome way.  This game forces people to adapt or get out!  Nothing better than that.  Learning curve and squad tactics!  Pure love.

UPDATE:

I have tweaked the graphics settings in the game and am now very, very stable with 45-55 FPS solid. I no longer have those terrible lag spikes occuring in the middle of CQB engagements. 

If anyone is interested here are my settings. 

Resolution: 1280x720

Vsync: Off

Gamma: 1.77

Resolution Scale: 120%

Anti-aliasing (FXAA Low, Temporal None)

MSAA: 2X

View Distance: High

Shadows: Medium

Shadow Quality:  Medium

Shadow Max Resolution: 1024

Post Processing: Epic

Video Ram Pool: 1GB (I have 2GB of VRAM but when I put this to 1GB it seemed to really boost my performance. I have not done any testing.)

Effects: Low

For my specs see the OP. 

I hope this helps someone with a similar rig. 

I am also interested in any advice someone might have for further tweaking to increase my graphics without comprising  the FPS and stability performance. 

Thanks!

I love this game.