KTMR29

Squad development scheme.

So Maybe some have followed the discussion at the now closed thread about the woes that come with notoriety.

Linky here: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/9232-the-only-problem-with-the-game-getting-so-popular/

I opened this thread to check out what exactly you people think about "where Squad is headed" after the Early Relase and if you Squadies think our game is a still born or can and will blossom to a level you'd find both extensive and gratifying. Aka enough people and enough quality within these people. 

This conversation got out of the initial topic, but the ideas that came out of that showdown is that, Squad is already a dying star (because low number of players, some claim that it's about 500 on average - I count 2400 easily 22:41 CET).

http://squad.rocks/

Now to the core of the issue. 

What do you as  a squadie think about the direction the game is headed to (both in numbers and playability), you can dig into the locked thread to see exactly where both "sides" were coming from, especially the "Squad=dying star" crowd, and make your input.

Personally I find  the comparisons with other well funded war machines absurd and that the game is doing (bar the sceptic tank of Ukrainian hackers) reasonably well. 

Also that the game cannot and should not compete for volume, that getting to quadruple the sales for next October would be a total success, but that we should not think that because sales are "good", it will automatically translate into something positive for the game.

Now I got this out of the chest, please have your say. 

And by any means if you don't agree elaborate at will. 

Edit: I apologize. I misread your post.

I agree, I think Squad is doing just fine.

The active player population has always risen for an update and fallen between them. Nothing really new or out of the ordinary so far. 

It isn't gonna be development of there isn't any obstacles. Let people believe what they want to believe and what you want to believe. But these people have no input on the future based on what they say, it's up to the Devs to make the game the way they want it.

EDIT-

People will learn how to play the game. It's not easy for everyone to transition to something so different without any flaws or issues.

I have personal experience 2 years ago in July as one of the no-mic confused lone-ish wolf in PR. Even though I wanted to orientate myself correctly, read all the guides, and watched hundreds of YouTube videos on PR before playing.

Despite all of this, I still had to play as a lone wolf for a few matches before I realized how unsatisfying and pointless it was to do so. Now, multiply this feeling x3000 influx of new players to Squad- and some of which never played something quite as serious or known (not researched at all) what they were getting into. Each one of those new players has to go through the same process, and some may have an easier time than other, but the common characteristic is that it will take time.

I wouldn't even go by how many people are playing.. a good majority of the users are based out of europe... a good majority out of north america... so there's two different play groups right there... 2000 of those people are either north american or some sort of european.. switch 12 hours.... the next group of 2000 is going to be from where ever it's day time... So all together thats a good 4000 people... this game is going to be far from dead any time soon. :)

Personally this is the only game I am playing right now.  Even alone, in a squad of pure chaos I still manage to have a good time.  Some of my other friends cant stand the thought of joining random squads.  I seem to be on the other spectrum of that thought and feel that is the beauty of this game.  Dying star is a crazy assumption off of it being so new and still very early on steam release.  The devs are doing a good job.  Got a decent patch out on xmas eve!  Right now the population gauge and dying star comment imhop, are un founded because there are still plenty of players who took a step back and/or did not buy the game due to some issues.  Once these things get sorted out along with other additions that are sure to be coming, who knows.  

I do agree with the volume focus, if that is even happening, and at the same time would not fault it.  It is about money like anything else, but SO FAR there seems to be confidant devs and a great growing community.  Personally I always viewed this as something that will take a good time to come to full scope.  There are going to be a lot of variables like with any game.  Player base, the average stay gamer vs hardcore non stop gamer.  At the end though, this game is about squad work, tough tactics and crazy gunfight situations.  One well organized squad alone can do some rough damage.  This games communitee in the long run may have more hardcore gamers than the casual types.  I feel there are decent amount of servers and more servers fully populated.  Most servers fill up very fast, even the newer ones.  The player base is pretty strong for what this game is.  I do not know the official numbers and all of that jazz but I would bet they are still selling decent copies.  

IronXbay: No problem man, there was enough rumble at the old thread, I'm going with the consensual type of debate here. There will be (I swear) no more trouble from me. 

Yeap guys, pretty much my sentiments. It will grow, no matter the Nay Sayers and I hope it goes the way of Red Orchestra.

I will say that I did not like this game when I first played it.  I read the forums for two months before I played and when I finally got to play in September it just wasn't what I envisioned and a massive change in play style I needed to develop.  I ended up not playing for 6 weeks due to school and no desire.  I really wanted to give the game a good second effort and came back to play and got in squads with DesmoLocke and SgtRoss; needless to say, I had a blast playing Squad as it was intended and now it is one of the only games I play, next to Fallout 4 which frankly sucks but I am trying to just get my monies worth out of it.  However, I feel I have already gotten my monies worth out of Squad.  I am sure most of the people that bought the steam release are in my shoes and are having troubles adjusting to the play style.

As far as population goes, as long as there is a game to get into that has people that want to play Squad for what it is, I am happy.  I would be extra happy if the number of players was really high so as to reward the Devs for their work.  That said, I would love to see a mod like King of the Hill come out for Squad simply for a change of pace.  I don't always have the time to devote to true round of Squad.

at the moment having 2000 player base is not a healthy for a mp only.

that is a negative and very mp only game in history can back that up. its pretty much why the term the cycle of death for mp comes from.

the GOOD news. is that its ok. Squad is EA that is NOT well known for now. The Devs already said they made enough to finish this game. once Squad gets all its feature and smooths out the bugs then Squad can get a strong PR push for its release. If Squad still after Release only has a player base of 2000 well. research the cycle of death of MP games and you understand what will happen. Consumer will only see 40$ plus dying MP = no sale, 

sadly when you deal with the world and business. Its by the numbers. less sales means less player, less player means less player base, less player base means less future buyers, less future buyers means less players, thus the cycle of death begins until it's just the PR guys very much like in PR with the 500 players. If the game is marketed right at Release plus sale (drop it down to 30$ for a week) you get 1. the 2000 players, plus the Returning players who drop the game before and now back to try it again 2. that will = more than 2000 player base and hopefully ends around 20k to 40k player. that is enough to give secreting to new player thinking of buying the game. now 3. with a updated fully complete game, plus videos out, plus a sale, plus player base that is not a low 2000, we could see a good start of Squad.

Could is key, if that does not work then simple enough it's either the tactical market cares not for this type of game at the very moment or the finished product is simple not to the starden of the consumer.. What i want to see is not just the Devs to make enough money to finish this game but to make more games in the future that is either Squad related or a new IP. for that to happen...Numbers

For a moderate paced niche tactical shooter made by a indie dev team, crowd funded, its doing very well.

at the moment having 2000 player base is not a healthy for a mp only.

that is a negative and very mp only game in history can back that up. its pretty much why the term the cycle of death for mp comes from.

the GOOD news. is that its ok. Squad is EA that is NOT well known for now. The Devs already said they made enough to finish this game. once Squad gets all its feature and smooths out the bugs then Squad can get a strong PR push for its release. If Squad still after Release only has a player base of 2000 well. research the cycle of death of MP games and you understand what will happen. Consumer will only see 40$ plus dying MP = no sale, 

sadly when you deal with the world and business. Its by the numbers. less sales means less player, less player means less player base, less player base means less future buyers, less future buyers means less players, thus the cycle of death begins until it's just the PR guys very much like in PR with the 500 players. If the game is marketed right at Release plus sale (drop it down to 30$ for a week) you get 1. the 2000 players, plus the Returning players who drop the game before and now back to try it again 2. that will = more than 2000 player base and hopefully ends around 20k to 40k player. that is enough to give secreting to new player thinking of buying the game. now 3. with a updated fully complete game, plus videos out, plus a sale, plus player base that is not a low 2000, we could see a good start of Squad.

Could is key, if that does not work then simple enough it's either the tactical market cares not for this type of game at the very moment or the finished product is simple not to the starden of the consumer.. What i want to see is not just the Devs to make enough money to finish this game but to make more games in the future that is either Squad related or a new IP. for that to happen...Numbers

Considering they have sold 60k copies, I'd say that's fantastic.  This community is much tighter than BF4.

Check how Red Orchestra started. At some point they had 15 guys playing and the firefight dynamics were straight out of a 18th century musket discharge. It was so bad that weapons like the PPSH were akin to AA guns.

In the last two games it has sold 3+ million copies.

The world of busniess is rather a cost/revenue equation. Otherwise you wouldn't have many tailors remaining only pret-à-porter outlets with pre-sized suits, pants and jackets.Squad is the chic tailor with a select pool of clients that want something different. The cost input for this game, is a tiny fraction, so It can't have neither exposure or the volume. The compromise is up to the player to make, does he want to play something different, or is it the same old shooters. In that optic COD does pretty well. BF too. It's been the same game for both franchises the last 5/6 years and still droves go and buy the games...that's marketing for you. 

You like repeating something that wasn't true with PR (it was a mod and free at that) with engine limitations and isn't true for squad. I outlined the issues with that kind of thinking. It's basically sheep math. You can't understand something you haven't tried. In many aspects this game is alive, where others are bland and far less immersive. But this off course is up to everyone to judge. People that judge a game on its volume "cover", miss out. PR had flaws, but playing two three maps along was still one kind of exhilarating experience.

Also the "tactical" market? Pff most guys here, play a wide array of shooters, they're not "tactical guys" at all. If they were, there are a lot of things you wouldn't see in game (any "mil-sim" game). 

Ite Missa Est.

Considering they have sold 60k copies, I'd say that's fantastic.  This community is much tighter than BF4.

Holy F*** what? Whahahahaahahahhaahahahahahahah. In ten days? Ite MIssa Est, part deux.

good 60 is ok start for EA game not release product, during release lets get those 60k players to build a solid player base and bring more than just 60k copy sold. enough to make Squad but i rather the game make more than just enough and bring amount of funding needed to finished Squad and any Future product without worry they may not have the money to bring a new ip in the future. I'm sure within the next year or two the game can reach around 200k copy sold. that will pretty much do it right there....unless someone goes on a shopping spree. What i want Squad to sell is better than Insurgency. well im glad that game got the money to make Insurgency 2. they have a solid game

I'm looking towards the future not just the now. with Squad. i believe that the Devs  can do more than just Squad.

good 60 is ok start for EA game not release product, during release lets get those 60k players to build a solid player base and bring more than just 60k copy sold. enough to make Squad but i rather the game make more than just enough and bring amount of funding needed to finished Squad and any Future product without worry they may not have the money to bring a new ip in the future.

I'm looking towards the future not just the now. with Squad. im believe they can do more than just Squad.

They are well aware. It could easily sell 300k units in 4 months.

They are well aware. It could easily sell 300k units in 4 months.

300k in 4 months....maybe if they push it after each Big Update.

but maybe it be better to wait for a few Big Updates to push it again. from EA games not AAA. there a different types of sale style they tend to go.

1. big EA release sale then pretty much die forever. most games EA games see no sales at full release which means anyone that was going to buy it bought it already.

2. slow start during the EA and then big release sale like undertale

3. a slow increasing sale throughout its EA life plus Release life which i suspect will be Squad route. (they are asking for 40 now and people wont spend it now...but they Could see the value later)

4. death....just Death

plus a few more routes.

4. death....just Death

Are you here to actually be constructive or simply try to tear everybody else's faith in OWI down? We had a cordial conversation in the last topic but you've brought seemingly the same attitude here.

Literally all this discussion between you and the rest of us seems to boil down to is this --

Us: We believe OWI can do it! They're doing fairly well and we wish to continue supporting them, regardless of the fact that being an indie dev team releasing EA content is a challenge.

You: Yes and I support Squad too, but just remember, releasing EA games as indie developers is difficult!! If you don't pull it off, Squad will DIE! DEATH, JUST DEATH!

You're essentially repeating yourself ad infinitum and I don't know what type of response you're trying to get out of anyone at this point. It's nauseating.

If this is all you're going to continue regurgitating, for the sake of my sanity, i'm asking you nicely, please stop.. We get it.

^^

iron, i edited my post with information i forgot. please check number 3. thank you.

while i want it to be a hit there is a hard road. forgetting about that hard road can be bad. also the point of that number list is trends that we have seen in EA..

i pointed out which tends i believe Squad will take which is number 3. a increasing sale throughout its lifespan as EA with Each big Update.

number 4 is pretty much only for games that steal its assets from the unity Store. fuck them for buying a munch of assets and just putting it together. they give indie Devs a bad Rep for no reason.

... Jesus what's with the morbid non-sense. 

Volume wise, 100K sales will already make it a success given the initial funding. Anything beyond that is bonanza. And we're jumping the shark now. 

First it was No sales, No players. Dead soon.

Now it's Ok Sales, still no players, Probably dead soon. 

I bet in a few years time while we'll be still killing eachother with MBT's and CAS, you'll come knocking you see only 5K players, it's Dying.

In Albania we have a story about a Fox following/Stalking a Ram. Another fox sees it and asks why are you stalking that Ram, it could kill, you. The fox says, you see the Ram's balls are almost falling, I'm stalking it as to grab the balls once they drop. You remind me of the fox.

iron, i edited my post with information i forgot. please check number 3. thank you.

3. a slow increasing sale throughout its EA life plus Release life which i suspect will be Squad route. (they are asking for 40 now and people wont spend it now...but they Could see the value later)

I honestly see nothing in your #3 that necessarily deviates from what I personally expect to happen as well.. I mean, is there anything contrary to what's most likely going to happen in your statement you're trying to shed light on, any contention at all to what everyone else is essentially saying? Any fundamentally different viewpoints? I'm having a hard time discerning what exactly your point is past something we all clearly are capable of understanding..

I honestly see nothing in your #3 that necessarily deviates from what I personally expect to happen as well.. I mean, is there anything contrary to what's most likely going to happen in your statement you're trying to shed light on, any contention at all to what everyone else is essentially saying? Any fundamentally different viewpoints? I'm having a hard time discerning what exactly your point is past something we all clearly are capable of understanding..

3 will happen if only you don't ignore the low player base. if you do then you see number 1. if you dont and make sure you bring that player base up during the major PR push then number 3. since i believe that no Dev will Not push their Game at release im not worry about. what i am worry about is how do people put 2000 player = great large player base together is beyond me.

number 4 as i said is only for those bs indie Devs that buy there assets and just shit together without #%^ effort giving True Indie Dev team like This people here a bad rap for no reason. i stop here because it will become a rant.

while i want it to be a hit there is a hard road. forgetting about that hard road can be bad.

okay. i have seen no one say anything contrary to this. if you can find anyone recently saying "Squad has it in the bag, we're set, it's all good; smooth sailing from here gents, we're going to roll in the dough and have this game done by next week," please, find it and link it for me. until then, you're really not saying anything or bringing anything to the conversation that is not already fairly well understood.

okay. i have seen no one say anything contrary to this. if you can find anyone recently saying "Squad has it in the bag, we're set, it's all good; smooth sailing from here gents, we're going to roll in the dough and have this game done by next week," please, find it and link it for me. until then, you're really not saying anything or bringing anything to the conversation that is not already fairly well understood.

no they do say "2000 player base is Great! why do we need more?" which...sigh 

I have literally seen no one say "why do we need more?"

This community seems more than willing to accept more active players, despite their reservations about teaching them how Squad works, due to wanting Squad itself to gain more support.

I think whoever you saw respond like this, if you did at all, is probably an outlier.

... Which ironically is great to focus the game into. Maybe you tend to forget what mass influx tends to do to "play style" of some of these games. 

Weapon X is "overpowered" nerf it. This asset is to strong, nerf it. This is to hard to fly make it easier. To develop these kind of games you need a different crowd and a far narrower group. I can't fathom what's going to happen once the guys would like to get into MBT's, Helicopters. Everyone will try and use them, BF style. 

Yeah, let's go Stalin style. Quantity, quality on its own ets. Oy Vey.

please check the forum you locked and the forum that somehow ended in a Mic Chicken topic.

they think 2000 is a good number for a player base for a MP only game.

edit": KTM and its why i said its ok that we are doing bad for MP only game. We are in EA stage and we can use it and turn it around no problem at the end, the plus side of the 40$ is a wall that not many but only those that truly care or truly wish to troll (dont ask me why on that last one, i dont understand the need to cheat) will get into the game. its just at the end we are going to need that quantity of a player base at release. that 60k sold copy should means somewhere between 50 to 65k player. send them a ad that Squad is Golden. they will get back into the game thus giving us a player base. removing the one fear i have for MP only games.