Sharpless512

Commander role

I would love to see the commander role. Because all squads are just doing there thing. And commanding the squads is a full time work

So you can talk to squad leaders to win the round as your team.

Commander could launch artillery aswell

yep that would be good, since anyone could play it on steam you've got loads of SL not talking!! some without mics!! 

and they're just doing what ever!! the commander should be able to change SL in squads! be able to kick people from servers!

also there must be something in place so the commander role isn't just given to anyone i.e. some noob with no mic or clue 

What I fear is some rage troll kid screaming in commander channel and not knowing a thing what to do ruining the game for a 50 person.

That's why battlefield has a mutiny function. I agree with you that it's a potential problem; though I've played rounds where one guy will make his own squad and then scream over squad leader chat his own misaligned orders. So it will happen either way.

I think it's better for the squad members to communicate their tactics, instead of having one person take control over this. So the current system is in my vision good.

the commander should be able to change SL in squads! be able to kick people from servers!

I think this is a little too extreme, what you're talking about is most likely an admin.

i wonder if it can fix the real problem SL themselves.

We lost many games because our SL is trying to tell them that we need more Squads to attack the next objective but all the Squads are still defending the same base...thus we never move on.

commander +1

kick SL -1

commander can be vote kicked +1

woof

hot fucking damn, sadly i can only plus 1 vote this

even though I loved the commander in PR/BF most of the time it gets wasted, or exploited to just get the assets used then dumped role. Very rare to have good commander. Would like to see this as a thing late down the line. Lot more important things that could be added.

It is a very difficult thing to get right! A few months ago when there was only a few hundred of us playing regularly we just got a lot better at the game and knew what to do! This could just be the case! New players think they've just got to setup a super fob on a flag or attack or defend wrong flags thus losing the game this could just be down to experience! Also a big problem is squads not talking to each other, ive had too many games with the other SL not saying a word to each other

It is a very difficult thing to get right! A few months ago when there was only a few hundred of us playing regularly we just got a lot better at the game and knew what to do! This could just be the case! New players think they've just got to setup a super fob on a flag or attack or defend wrong flags thus losing the game this could just be down to experience! Also a big problem is squads not talking to each other, ive had too many games with the other SL not saying a word to each other

Sounds like we need some good PR commanders.

woof

In PR their was the occasional bad CO. But the problem was often more SLs not pulling the same way as team. Effectively undermining CO which ofc made him seem worse than he was.

You experience the same on a smaller level in a squad when SMs just do their own thing.

"I know better, I am better therefore I do my own thing, SL sucks" mentality. It's devastating for a squads capabilities. Same happens to COs towards SLs.

We still have SLs so really not a reason not having CO.

If you are a SL and you demand your SMs to obey you, you should also as SL obey CO in return.

You can kick SMs, CO shouldn't be able to kick SLs (because of nrs off players affected) but admins can sort that if need be (resign players from squad).

Yes to be able to vote about resigning CO (it affects so many if he can't perform).

The times in PR when you had a good CO and squads followed, those are some of the absolute best rounds I've played. Infantry, armour, CAS coming to their best use.

I would love to see the commander role. Because all squads are just doing there thing. And commanding the squads is a full time work

So you can talk to squad leaders to win the round as your team.

Commander could launch artillery aswell

• not if you play with people who are understand the gameflow

• i dont know if a artillery blast would be a great idea for this game... i dont know... get killed several times by missiles down the air gets me back BF4 memories with all the bullsh*t gadgets like Anti Air Missiles, Mortar with endless ammunition etc... costs pretty much only nerves of the killed player(s)... not very satisfying for the mortar launcher either because he didnt see if he killed someone in the first place

• for my part, i hope that Squad will not become more complicated than it has to be ... and what i see in the community, the community want have a realistic FPS which you can play competitive... and the alpha version of this game has yet the best potential to be a competitive game ... maybe a realistic counterpart to CSGO or anything like that.. with 100 thousand gadgets with projectils which fly around walls, airstrikes caused by pressing a button etc i think the game lose more potential than it would get with it IMO

• commander role is like SL now.. if you get a bad SL you r pretty much f*cked ... same as the commander... but this can not be solved... the problem are the players themselves... and a lot of people dont understand the gameflow at the moment (i dont blame them maybe it's their first or second match - i try to tell them what to do - only bad thing is when they dont listen) ... f.e. attacking a flag which is not capturable, because they think its the same like CQ in BF... but with more experience they hopefully get it... Squadleader and Commander are a two edged blade in a public server with a lot of newbies and newcomers... but most of the time when i play on f.e. german servers the SL leaves after 5 min or give the SL role to a random who hasn't a SL kit so the Squad is literally f*cked the first 5-10mins before the "new choosen" SL put himself on a SL Kit to get Ralleys or FOBs etc down... that bothers me the most at the moment to be honest (this and the race for the fire support roles / scoped weapons.. i know there will be no other solution than to lock it up for x people who can use them but its just annoying)

From the recent Dev interview:

The commander role might be split into two people, like a CO and XO type thing. Like one guy in the back with an overview, and one guy in the front line.

• not if you play with people who are understand the gameflow

• i dont know if a artillery blast would be a great idea for this game... i dont know... get killed several times by missiles down the air gets me back BF4 memories with all the bullsh*t gadgets like Anti Air Missiles, Mortar with endless ammunition etc... costs pretty much only nerves of the killed player(s)... not very satisfying for the mortar launcher either because he didnt see if he killed someone in the first place

• for my part, i hope that Squad will not become more complicated than it has to be ... and what i see in the community, the community want have a realistic FPS which you can play competitive... and the alpha version of this game has yet the best potential to be a competitive game ... maybe a realistic counterpart to CSGO or anything like that.. with 100 thousand gadgets with projectils which fly around walls, airstrikes caused by pressing a button etc i think the game lose more potential than it would get with it IMO

• commander role is like SL now.. if you get a bad SL you r pretty much f*cked ... same as the commander... but this can not be solved... the problem are the players themselves... and a lot of people dont understand the gameflow at the moment (i dont blame them maybe it's their first or second match - i try to tell them what to do - only bad thing is when they dont listen) ... f.e. attacking a flag which is not capturable, because they think its the same like CQ in BF... but with more experience they hopefully get it... Squadleader and Commander are a two edged blade in a public server with a lot of newbies and newcomers... but most of the time when i play on f.e. german servers the SL leaves after 5 min or give the SL role to a random who hasn't a SL kit so the Squad is literally f*cked the first 5-10mins before the "new choosen" SL put himself on a SL Kit to get Ralleys or FOBs etc down... that bothers me the most at the moment to be honest (this and the race for the fire support roles / scoped weapons.. i know there will be no other solution than to lock it up for x people who can use them but its just annoying)
squads may or may not be made in a competitive mindset, however the player base wants a realistic tactical fps not a "realistic" Cs go, we want artillery, mortars, tanks etc, not some comp crap.

What I fear is some rage troll kid screaming in commander channel and not knowing a thing what to do ruining the game for a 50 person.

What is mutiny?

Commander worked so well in BF2 and PR. It works very well to have one person coordinate.

With the SL broadcast key I feel it makes the commander idea a bit obsolete.

What is mutiny?

It's a function that let players kick the Commander out of his position which is useful if Commander is straight up annoying SLs or he is in middle of the field but after he is overthrow by his own men, there is enough time for anyone to be Commander but if no one want to be a Commander, then the same person would go back into same position as before but hopefully he would apologize and resume his business.

It's a function that let players kick the Commander out of his position which is useful if Commander is straight up annoying SLs or he is in middle of the field but after he is overthrow by his own men.

Somebody has never heard of Jeopardy.

If there were a commander position created I'm sure there would be a cooldown given to a person upon their resignation so they couldn't get back in until that time limit has been reached.

I too am interested to see what a commander role will look like in Squad. Will blufor commanders have UAVs? Will they be responsible for assigning assets to squads? Will the be back at HQ or in the field?

A good commander in Project Reality could really help his team to victory, but it was a tad boring at times. Then again, a moment like this make it worth it. :)

Hello Folks!

Me personally, who played PR for quite some time now as squad leader, i wish not only to get the commander back, but also to add one more level of collective coordination. Since i got some experience through my time at the German Army (Bundeswehr), i realy miss a platoon sized groupleader function. Commanding a squad is cool and stuff. But creating objective focused battlegroups will open up a whole new experience.

Imagine up to 3 squads joining together under a Platoonleader. We would be able to perform military tactics in combat such as complex ambushes, formations and multirole squad-fights (SQ1: Set up as Cover with MG´s, DMR and Grenadiers; SQ2: Flank with Breacher and rifleman; SQ3: Backsecurity, Scouting, Reserve  or infiltration...). Also a platoon-objective marker set(important!) for the PL and all platoonmembers, would be important, such as formation orders (tactical sign: line, column etc.) or mission-goals.

Also combined arms warefare would be taken to the next lvl. Instead of having assigned Tank-sqd, Apc-Sqd... only, we could assign vehicles to thoose battlegroups: 1 MBT, 2 APC´s, 2 Humvees - mission and role specific.

On a heavily played game with hundreds of players on a huge map, its realy not fun anymore to take over the commander role - over using the UAV, processing incoming intel and coordinating artillery strikes - there is no strategy creating role left for a commander. That´s why the commander is not a popular role! PL would help getting pressure of the commanders role. 

If the servers will allow it, one day, we could have coordinated(!) games with up to 300 gamers and more with my proposed structure!

PS.: Give us SL, PL and the Commander more time for creating strategys before the beginning of the game - some kind of war-room. Otherwise we will continue to outsource thoose talks to clan-forums.

Greats from Germany!

I have another old thread like this from way back yonder (here) discussing how far people think DEVs should take CO authority.

Given the number of players allowed per server in squad, I would agree with MajorK above that we'd be looking at something akin to a platoon leader.

I would love to see a commander role personally would improve gameplay massively for me :) <3

On 12/26/2015 at 1:05 PM, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

that's why there's a "vote mutiny" option

Edited by Mannex