Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReckingOrange

Everybody making a ww2 mod should make one big one.

I have thinking about this, that everybody that is gonna work on a ww2 mod, teams up and makes one big one. Instead of, if you wanna play on that server you have to go and download that ww2 mod and that one. So I thought that everybody working on this teams up and makes one big one, so that you have everything when you download that one mod. What do you guys think about this?

I think this is a great idea. Once the community gets closer to the point of modding Squad, it will be more transparent to see what mods will be legit, and what mods will be all talk. Perhaps even one of the gents from PR:WW2 might be interested at that point in working within a new engine and taking on such a project. 

BumpBump

There's no need to bump the thread. These forums don't move very quick. If it isn't being discussed, it isn't being discussed for a reason.

Once the SDK is released and a modding section added to the forums, it'll start to get more organized. Patience.

Everyone needs to come together for such an undertaking. This could be a big accomplishment for realism gaming everywhere. Shit it would be the biggest WW2 game to hit the community in a LONG time. A WW2 mod for Squad would be so unbelievable. But divided it may fail. Please let's unite towards a common goal!

That would be great.  I'll come up with some ideas.  Perhaps we can have a Normandy scenario, and of course an Eastern Front(Stalingrad???) but I would love a Winter War scenario as well as an Iwo Jima scenario too.  Just my 2 cents

Having worked on Forgotten hope 2 a long, looong time ago, I would love if those gents had a crack at it.

But yes, absolutely people should come together on this - no point having competing teams on what surely needs to happen. I need a next gen, large scale WW2 shooter in my life.

This type of thinking is what makes a small mod community have a chance of success. When we were working on PR we merged the content of many mods. It was clear the BF2 mod community was not large enough to support more than 2 or 3 mods. One of the first things I assimilated into PR was the AAS game mode. Our deal was anything in PR was fair game to any mod who we took anything from. This was a calculated gamble, but I was confident we had a great mod and a solid player base; it could have "backfired" and ended up with nobody playing PR, but all the content we created available in other mods.

As it turned out this approach got the great work of many mod teams into the hands of players - what modders want - rather than sitting on the shelves of empty servers.

I think a WW2 era mod for Squad would be outstanding. It will have a much better chance of success being based on the work of many rather than several failed attempts by the work of a few.

Cheers,

Eamonn aka eggman

There's no need to bump the thread. These forums don't move very quick. If it isn't being discussed, it isn't being discussed for a reason.

Did not take the forum nazis long to cross the border. Guess its fitting for a ww2 post

Anyway ww2 squads were larger so there would need to be more squad slots for ww2

Did not take the forum nazis long to cross the border. Guess its fitting for a ww2 post

Anyway ww2 squads were larger so there would need to be more squad slots for ww2

Which is easy pie in squid

I don't think there are multiple groups making a bunch of WW2 mods, at least not that I have seen. There are a few community members, myself included, plugging away at assets for an eventual mod like that though (stop by the Community Content WIP Thread).

An actual mod is probably quite a ways off.

I would absolutely be on board to support a WW2 mod. At one point I got completely sick of constant WW2 games being developed, now I want it back. 

An actual mod is probably quite a ways off.

An actual mod is surely quite far away off, especially without an official SDK, but there are some people working already together on something as a (very small core-)team, at least in a very early concept stage.

Collecting everyone that wants to make a ww2 mod may sound like a great idea, but there's so much more to it (coming from someone who's been modding for about 15 years now). Things need to be planned, a course of action, and a mod team that simply takes everyone in without regards to skill and a good project lead and direction will surely fail. Big, blown up teams often enough hinder themselves more in development than small, concentrated teams, especially in the concept and planning phase. After that, it sure helps to have a big pool of great artists and level designers, animators etc. especially in this day and age where assets aren't made as quickly as back then with Half Life modding :)

Enough mod (and game) projects I've been in failed exactly because of that.

Not to mention all the "idea guys". :P People would be shocked to see just how many people apply to game design jobs and even modding teams with "a really cool idea" and nothing else.