Sovietdoge

User Interface Concept Art

195 posts in this topic

Heya, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the honesty. You've got some very good points; I'll be making adjustments accordingly.

nice stuff man ,really good. about the flags , if you want to wright arabic on them use proper language . the problem with yours is the following:

1- the arabic is written from right to left not like latin languages from left to right

2- arabic letters have a connected form , used when in a word. to elaborate , your words are just few letters next to each other and doesnt form any word. you have to "connect" them to have a proper word . for example , hello is مرحبا but according to your method it will be م ر ح ب ا . those are the same letters but first is connected form the second is separated form i.e. punch of letters

i hope you understand what i mean , other than that this is amazing stuff. good work!

On 26-4-2016 at 10:45 AM, Sovietdoge said:

No worries, I'm with you guys on that one. The only items that can be customized in the concepts, are the ones with the little arrow symbols next to them. For the UK rifleman that would be the optics on his rifle (irons/ACOG), and for the miltia engineer his primary (74U/870 sawn-off) and his mines (TM62 AT/Claymore AP).

I have got to say that the customization is actually pretty awesome. If a squad leader trusts his soldiers then let the soldiers be able to choose their own custom layout. If the squad leader needs a certain layout for each kit, then add an extra tab/advanced button in the "LOADOUT" menu called "Squad loadout" (or whatever) where you can choose standard/custom loadouts for each kit that you would want your members to have when you command a squad. So when you play as a squadleader, you can toggle an option box "CUSTOM KITS" on or off in the squad menu. This way a clan based squad (generally better communication/planning) can have good loadouts and a normal squad can have good loadouts as well.

Just my two cents. Of course there might be downsides to this workaround as well.

And by the way, I love all the concept art you have made for the user interface. Keep it up!

On 15-1-2017 at 1:42 PM, BaldadigeAnton said:

And by the way, I love all the concept art you have made for the user interface. Keep it up!

Thanks!

Made some adjustments:

PEkc.jpg

QEkc.jpg

On 2017-01-18 at 4:50 PM, Sovietdoge said:

Thanks!

Made some adjustments:

[IMAGE REMOVED]

[IMAGE REMOVED]

That looks much better. Got a few suggestions:

• Add a margin at the bottom of the expanded squads of maybe 5-15px. Just to make it clear where a new squad begins.
  • Make the "Create Squad" box stretch all the way out and have the scrollbar end at Squad 01. Personally I think it would group together more naturally that way.
  • Spacing between buttons on the right side is rather irregular, I can see that it's done because you try to group things together, but in my eyes it doesn't look quite right.

Nothing to complain about the role selection, it looks very clean, love it.

On 20-1-2017 at 7:42 PM, byis said:

That looks much better. Got a few suggestions:

• Add a margin at the bottom of the expanded squads of maybe 5-15px. Just to make it clear where a new squad begins.
  • Make the "Create Squad" box stretch all the way out and have the scrollbar end at Squad 01. Personally I think it would group together more naturally that way.
  • Spacing between buttons on the right side is rather irregular, I can see that it's done because you try to group things together, but in my eyes it doesn't look quite right.

Nothing to complain about the role selection, it looks very clean, love it.

Thanks for the tips! I added the additional margin to all of the squad bars for consistency.

Also added tile-view for the role tab:

qUkc.jpg

sUkc.jpg

rUkc.jpg

@Sovietdoge I still think you are doing gods work and this is how Squads UI needs to look. Right now Squads UI is missing feedback and is inconsistent. Keep up all the work mate!

On 1/21/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sovietdoge said:

rUkc.jpg

Works fine if Squad had 8 player squads. Is suicide supposed to be give up?

Overall, very clean. Maybe AJAX and the rest of the devs will draw some inspiration from it. 

16 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

Works fine if Squad had 8 player squads. Is suicide supposed to be give up?

Overall, very clean. Maybe AJAX and the rest of the devs will draw some inspiration from it. 

Yeah suicide is "giving up". That's how it is in PR.

In my mind I had the deploy button double as a 'give up' button. When down, it's used to give up (and will obviously say that on the button itself), when dead, it's used to spawn. Suicide is only for those who already spawned in, and want to redeploy somewhere else.

Looks really good. Getting closer to the perfect clean layout of project reality. 

One thing that i still dont like is the small map. The map is actually the most important thing, more important than the team setup and whatever.

Please make the map bigger. It should fill most of the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/f59U5tO.png

Thats the project reality spawn menu. Its really clean and you can see whats going on very easily. I think thats the most important part.

Make the important thinks most visible and intuitive, and the less important things dont need a lot of space

Well, you see, the problem is that maps are square in Squad. Sure, it can be expanded horizontally, but then, when fully zoomed out, it wouldn't be possible to view the entire map (the top and bottom would be cut off). Alternatively, when zoomed out the map would be fully visible but the UI element where the map fits within would be blank on the left and right side.

Either way I think the best solution is to match the Map UI element's aspect ratio with that of the actual maps (meaning, square), and accept that there's a bit more empty space between the map and role / squad element.

Update! Revisited the previous deployment concepts.

2u15A.jpg

2u15B.jpg

UI hightlight color changes depending on the faction the user is playing as (BLUFOR/REDFOR).

2u15z.jpg

Location of UI elements switched around.

Posted (edited)

Looks nice, I like the overall style of your concepts. But I have some criticism regarding the structure of it:

- Asset overview isn't really key information and takes too much screen real estate, might be better off being a tab on map side of the UI. That would also mean you could have more detailed descriptions of each vehicle etc.

- Chat and Events log is already available via console and is mostly used by admins, could also be a tab.

- No room for kit customization, could replace the Asset overview / Chat part of the UI.

- Timer / Tickets is easier to find at a glance if it's in the top right.

Edit:

Role tab

TPN5GGS.jpg

Loadout tab

aasWAfN.jpg

Edited by cribbaaa
Images

Damn, I like this a lot. I'll be doing some updates and will report back.

Aight so this is what I came up with:

2u2DY.jpg

2u2DZ.jpg

Not 100% conform your suggestions, but I think it's a good middle ground.

I still feel there's value to a dedicated Squad tab for in-depth information as it is in the game currently (as opposed to just a single team list), even more so when you can customize your role, maybe the SL wants to request a specific Loadout for a player for instance. That and you can see who's wounded, dead and more. The latter you can probably do in the Team tab as well, but it would probably clutter the list too much.

The hierarchy from left to right makes more sense I think;

1. Select team

2. Select squad

3. Select role

4. Select loadout

5. Select spawn point

Then we have the Commander of course, I don't know if anything has been decided on this role yet but maybe when you Apply for commander, the "Squad" tab will be replaced with a "Command" tab where you can deploy UAV etc.

Keep up the good work on these! I don't know how far OWI has come with their new UI but I there's definitely value in visual feedback like this.

Main Menu concepts:

sq_MM_v50eb9b.png

sq_MM_v5_sbcd25c.png

sq_MM_v5_firingrange2beb0.png

sq_MM_v5_optionsd45b6.png

sq_MM_v5_loadout884b5.png

0te0enbmy74z.png

If there's one thing that i personally would really like to see is an option on the main menu that shows every single asset for every faction ( vehicles , weapons , roles ) with pictures and short explaination ( by text , or maybe even a brief video , with tips about it , how it used and for what porpuse ) . 

Overall must say these are some great concept arts guys !! Keep it going !! 

Yes, I'd like to see something akin to that as well. Here's something I did waaaayy back:

2uuFo.png

I think I might make something like this for Squad as well. We'll see. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.