M6xSniper

Material (slight change?)

So poking around the files I noticed that the gun materials were a little off to me but that might just be me. I went in copied some of the content to a new project and then mess around with the materials. changed the specular map to multiply off the main texture give less over shine and more dull metal look, No offence to Devs I was just wondering if it looks better in your eyes or if im just crazy. Keep up the good work guys and gals :DMat_squad2.jpgMat_squad.jpgMat_squad3.jpg

newmat.jpgoldmat.jpg

Bottom is the old material and top is the tweaked material but the editor does not do both justice from the low light viewer.

Could you possible use a little better lighting (remove the background assets, put a 3 point light setup down with some more intensity etc) and maximize the editor window for a clearer image? Also, click the little arrow down in the top right of the editor window and put it into "Game Mode" or something similar. Right now it just seems like the only difference is that the bottom ones metal feels more matte, and is a little bit more over-saturated.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with PBR, but it doesn't feel that accurate. It might just be the lighting and distance though.

Either way, the devs might revisit the textures later on. That and I don't think your shader is 1:1 with theirs, so there's no way of knowing if it's correct! :P

Assifuah thanks for your feedback, my shader is 1:1 the only difference is the specular map is taken differently, Yes im familiar with PBR(physics based rendering) the only reason it feels over-saturated is the specular map is not defusing light so it looks more matte and less shinny, 3 point lighting doesn't work well with Global Illumination but i tried my best to get a good clear shot

Oldvs_New1.jpg

Oldvs_New1.jpg

Based on this screenshot, I would say the old one, sorry :)

But I think it's really great that you saw something, investigated it, and proposed a simple suggestion, without dissing the devs :D. I think it's a positive thing, you never know, they might like it...

The old one looks more like real un-painted steel. Like it would coming straight from the producer. I'm a steel worker so I like to think I should know.. Heh. The wood however looks like it's been "freshly" painted on the new while the old one looks more unprocessed in my opinion

MVPiet13 thanks and yah dont think the devs are doing anything wrong just was looking at the guns in-game and thought they looked a little off and seen if i could suggest a helpful little fix, Idartd thanks ill keep this in mind i tried looking for reference photos of worn ak's and tried to copy the metal look

Assifuah thanks for your feedback, my shader is 1:1 the only difference is the specular map is taken differently, Yes im familiar with PBR(physics based rendering) the only reason it feels over-saturated is the specular map is not defusing light so it looks more matte and less shinny, 3 point lighting doesn't work well with Global Illumination but i tried my best to get a good clear shot

Oldvs_New1.jpg

Awesome man, yeah the 3 point lights were just a quick dirty thing so we could get more of a reaction from the materials. It looks decent! Metal looks powder coated, but the rust on the upper is a lot more prominent. You might be onto something if you put more time into tweaking it, right now the magazine feels a little bit like leather (lighter wear on the edges, colour and overall roughness values).. but other than that nice job. Also.. for some reason the magazine metal turned from a high reflectance value to just... black-ish.

We're definitely getting more and more people in this community who are into modding. :D

Going to have to go with old, it looks more realistic, the new one looks like the blacks have been crushed.

I get the same effect as the "new" with nvidia DV set to 100% ;).

Anyways, i like the new.