Friesen

Ability to spot targets please (for SLs only) Spotting System

First let me say devs: It is good that not everyone has binoculars like in PR which I really hated the idea (everyone having binocs is not right) and that you didn't resort to ridiculously high-zoom-iron-sights like it's in RO2 so that game becomes a head-shot sniping fest.

Now just hear me out before you oppose.

Regardless of how you can say on the voip enemy contact at 255 simply does not specify enough of where the target is if it's far away and it's impossible to designate a very specific target that is far away e.g. in the hills with full of bushes where an enemy is a tiny target among many trees/cover etc.

What I really think that if medics must have binoculars (which I think they shouldn't), then at least Squad Leaders should be the only ones who are able to designate targets with binoculars so that there is a difference between medics using binos and the Squad Leaders.

Another reason for this to have designated target for split seconds is that squad leader still hasn't got enough incentive to follow them apart from placing rally points and fobs. I've seen teammates not wanting to stick around after they've been placed.

This would hugely boost incentive to stick and follow the Squad Leader and it wouldn't become exploitable as you may think. (Only SLs would have the feature which would be something that distinguishes the medics having binoculars)

If a SL could designate targets so that they're visible for literally 2 seconds it would hugely boost a natural firepower of a squad. Rather than trying to go solo ramboing like players often do.

In fact even just today one guy was commenting during the game - "s***** game enemies firing out of nowhere all the time"

Wouldn't be too bad to have, but the icon on the enemy shouldn't follow him but rather the icon stay in the posistion where the squad leader spotted him for a few seconds.

This is exactly what I mean! And the icon appearing only for split seconds only to those nearby the SL and even very vaguely visible just to give you a rough idea where to shoot at ! I've seen numerous times where a squad is literally numb and doesn't know where the enemy is while the SL actually has spotted the enemy but unable to pinpoint it more precisely among the many bushes/buildings/hills !

Otherwise having an MG firing squad has absolutely no strategic place in Squad right now because of inability to pinpoint a specific target.

Something of that sort would hugely improve firefights on long distances. The maps have some great terrain scenery but nearly impossible to have any sensible long firefights. Please do add some form of spotting target,

It makes way more sense for the SL to have that ability rather than everyone having binoculars.

Its gonne be a solid no from me. It sounds to much a like a light version of Battlefield 2's spotting system. It did nothing good for that game.

I dont want dots on my map showing me where the enemy is. I think the current system is better.

Things like this will always be divided into two groups. Really wish this was added though so those that want to use it can really help teammates where to shoot at........

Marking a target was always nice on PR

Marking a target was always nice on PR

well i like to add something. the dot wont be one the target. instead the Dot is only a AREA of the target.

so in this way the Devs can balance how "Rough" the Dot means to a Area ratio is. so on the map with would see a Cycle.

another idea. the more people that spot or the longer someone as a Eye on target the Smaller that Cycle becomes until its a point on the map. not the Dot should not move.

the spotting should only work if someone has a crosshair on target or binos.

Map markers brah.

Make it so if a Squad Member clicks on a marker that a Squad Leader placed on his map it will show up transparently on the Squad Member's screen though, for easier squad cohesion.

Something of that sort which I think RO2 has done quite well. It only appears for 1-2 seconds then disappears and when is on long distance range it's still very unprecise.

11walpt.jpg

I rather not have such a ridiculous system implemented in Squad.

On a far distance >100m, >200m, >300m etc there really isn't any reliable form of conducting a suppresive fire with your squad or an MG. There is just no way of showing a target to your teammates as precisely as to have a mutual suppresive fire. This would actually make firefights way more sense and make SLs binoculars more meaningful and useful to convey these positional information much more effectively as it can't be done through the voice chat on such range.

I think the best way for SQ is to just let the player:

1.) Open map

2.) Right click somewhere on map

3.) Select "infantry marker", "stationary anti-tank marker", etc.

4.) There is now a temporary marker on the map that all of the squad members can see

5.) As time passes, the marker opacity fades away, so it's easy to see which markers are the newest and which ones are the oldest

6.) People outside of your squad cannot see your squad's map makers.

Automatic spotting is not good, because it can be exploited on heavy foliage levels to spot enemies that you didn't actually see.

Or you can just get really good at reading your map, and knowing your location, and estimating the enemies position, and then telling your team the part of the map you spotted enemy.

Enemy spotted! Foxtrot 6 - Numpad 4

Those letters and numbers and grid lines around the map are not just for looks!

Or you can just get really good at reading your map, and knowing your location, and estimating the enemies position, and then telling your team the part of the map you spotted enemy.

Enemy spotted! Foxtrot 6 - Numpad 4

Those letters and numbers and grid lines around the map are not just for looks!

You do realise that... and it's been here said over and over that a numpad 4 on F6 can be as large of a terrain as squared 100,200,300m etc. Massive mixture of either buildings/rocks/bushes etc, impossible to tell when the target is so tiny.

In the middle of a heated battle, there is no time for things like looking at the map while everything is happening so quickly. I can guarantee you that perhaps less than 10% will actually look at the map and see the marker on the map which is actually way inferior to determine where's the enemy than actually keeping to look at the terrain yourself.

It actually takes a bit of time to get everybody looking at a point of interest in the distance when you are in real life. 

Friesen, it all comes down to communication.  Learn how to communicate the enemies position to your team. Even set up your own system.  If you are good enough, and your team elite enough, you don't need to look at your map. Or a spotting system.

It actually takes a bit of time to get everybody looking at a point of interest in the distance when you are in real life. 

You could have it made so you actually have to look at your Squad Leader pointing his arm first, and then only the target circle would vaguely appear on your screen for 2 seconds which would gradually fade out.

Friesen, it all comes down to communication.  Learn how to communicate the enemies position to your team. Even set up your own system.  If you are good enough, and your team elite enough, you don't need to look at your map. Or a spotting system.

I don't see a problem with this feature that would greatly improve squad cohesiveness and mutual firepower of the squads.

Let's forget even here about spotting ACTUAL enemies.

What about if you're leading your squad as a SL and want to have a suppressive fire over a designated area? You CAN'T currently pinpoint it EXACTLY where you want it. Something that in real life easily could be done with a pointing finger and in game it is impossible to do so.

i'd rather have a good SL who can point out precise enemy positions by using the compass and radio/voice.

i am really against any more "on screen help".

nowadays games are absolutely polluted by hints, waymarkers, objective points etc.

sometimes we can see more little items and graphics on the screen than the actual game, so please NO.

I don't see a problem with this feature that would greatly improve squad cohesiveness and mutual firepower of the squads.

Let's forget even here about spotting ACTUAL enemies.

What about if you're leading your squad as a SL and want to have a suppressive fire over a designated area? You CAN'T currently pinpoint it EXACTLY where you want it. Something that in real life easily could be done with a pointing finger and in game it is impossible to do so.

Right, we can't just point a finger but you can say "Heading 291 appoximately 300 meters out at the top of the ridgeline by the stand of trees. Light it up!"

We need to learn to use our words to communicate. Thats how it works in real life too.

A bindable button that automatically places a mark on the minimap (not 3D, only on the map) with a tick on the compass to show the direction wouldn't be too immersion/realism breaking, and I think would help with spotting a target immensely.