unfrail

Flags and Flagpoles

As enemy presence tips the scale on the capture zones, information can be gained without direct observation about an attacking force's plans. This can foil surprise attacks against under defended assets.

What if, instead of presence being the "flag capture", there were flag poles, and flags.

To be credited with capture of an area, it would need to be sufficiently stable to lower an enemy flag, and then raise the flag of your team.

a simple interaction menu option, "Hold F", and one that would leave the flag bearer vulnerable for some time while he changes the flags.

"Control" is somewhat of an ethereal concept as it is, but this is a common show of territory ownership in real life. I think it could do some cool things in game.

This would be sweet and make defending squads even more important +1

Though I'm not so sure about the flag interact idea. I can see snipers and whatever just camping it out and making it nearly impossible to cap without smoke. Just having people in the flag zone would probably be good

Joint Ops was like this... you could take control of the enemy cap zone, but it wasn't truely yours until someone "touched the pole".

It made it pretty exciting being the last man standing, knifing anyone who came near the pole for the capture.

hmmm at first i thought "stooopid"

then i thought about it some more and thought you know what thats a good idea !

imagine at the end of a game a screenshot of a squad of men lifting the flag pole (yes you know the picture i mean) you won ! type thing !

also raising the flag is more symbolic than a marker/capture bar

it would also require close team support as the flag would become a target

so

the more I think the more I think hmmmmmmm possibilities

That pushes into the territory of battlefield and that's murky waters, it's best the way it is. Capture points on the map are "strategic points" and the flag is only there to guide us onto them.

That pushes into the territory of battlefield and that's murky waters, it's best the way it is. Capture points on the map are "strategic points" and the flag is only there to guide us onto them.

I avoided the extended diatribe. But what is "control" of an area?

Being able to stand still and raise a flag for 10 seconds, and it still flying means just about as much as anything.

Seems to be the preferred symbol of "control" in real life anyways.

"capturing" the flag would make it seem more like an Op rather than just chilling out in a specific area until it turns blue. 

As enemy presence tips the scale on the capture zones, information can be gained without direct observation about an attacking force's plans. This can foil surprise attacks against under defended assets.

What if, instead of presence being the "flag capture", there were flag poles, and flags.

To be credited with capture of an area, it would need to be sufficiently stable to lower an enemy flag, and then raise the flag of your team.

a simple interaction menu option, "Hold F", and one that would leave the flag bearer vulnerable for some time while he changes the flags.

"Control" is somewhat of an ethereal concept as it is, but this is a common show of territory ownership in real life. I think it could do some cool things in game.

So I just wanna check, part of the idea is that the capture state isn't shown on the map, right? If so, it's a really interesting and new way to look at defending, having to constantly have someone checking the flag area instead of everyone running back once the map shows the flag change.

So I just wanna check, part of the idea is that the capture state isn't shown on the map, right? If so, it's a really interesting and new way to look at defending, having to constantly have someone checking the flag area instead of everyone running back once the map shows the flag change.

Could be.

I mean, even if it did show on the map, the advantage of direct interaction to establish control solves the problem I have with "presence = dominance", even if that is not ideally disclosed. e.g. Sneaking a squad on to a flag, but that flag starts dropping, and the enemy starts heading back because 1 person was watching.

If it was not shown on the map, then yeah, that would bring an interesting challenge as well. I'm not ready to give up capture order, but I think removing map status would add necessity to recon. Whether or not that would suit gameplay is interesting to consider.

I think in the future, with logistics introduced, people will utilize these flags more than they are doing right now. At this moment you just stand there and wait for contact, or build a FOB.. I imagine people will start to use these positions as logistical area / staging areas. After all, most if not all of the capture zones are somewhat strategic positions if you look at them with the bigger picture in mind.

Possibly resupply points, CCP's, RV's and the lot. I think the flag idea is pretty neat though, especially if it would lean towards the ones on the map being removed. Replace the flag icons with just a static, generic objective icon, the rest you have to figure out yourself in-game. I would totally dig that but the issue is the game giving feedback to the player.. there isn't much help there unless you're physically on the flag. Again, it would be a lot easier checking up on an objective once vehicles are in.

Could be.

I mean, even if it did show on the map, the advantage of direct interaction to establish control solves the problem I have with "presence = dominance", even if that is not ideally disclosed. e.g. Sneaking a squad on to a flag, but that flag starts dropping, and the enemy starts heading back because 1 person was watching.

If it was not shown on the map, then yeah, that would bring an interesting challenge as well. I'm not ready to give up capture order, but I think removing map status would add necessity to recon. Whether or not that would suit gameplay is interesting to consider.

I just mean removing the map notification that the flag has been neutralized. If a team was too short-sighted to set up a defense on the defend flag they shouldn't have the meta-advantage of seeing when there are enemies on it just by looking at the map. If the enemy made it through their "defenses" tbh they deserve the cap.

On 22.12.2015 at 0:33 PM, Carlos said:

Joint Ops was like this... you could take control of the enemy cap zone, but it wasn't truely yours until someone "touched the pole".

It made it pretty exciting being the last man standing, knifing anyone who came near the pole for the capture.

It were indeed a good system. Much more than just get the zone camped, since someone needed to go to flag you (attacker) or defender to claim the CP to your team in the time the CP were gone to the neutral state, by troop difference in zone.

This did allow some more depth in the zone meta play, not just camp one corner and hope the best, since defenders could have boobytrapped the flag etc. so in the point you needed to go physically there all could change depending what those defenders do. Like you said, even one skilled player in good spot had opportunity to slaughter too casually attacking crew.

Like the idea, if I could add to it to make it even more difficult to capture a flag....how about adding up to 5 or 6 flag poles around a capture area and there needs to be atleast one guy at each flag to capture that area?  How close those flags are to each other depends on size of capture area. Also could be less than 5 or 6 flags.  Also perhaps all flags in this type could turn at its own rate meaning standing at one will turn it in a few seconds while another takes minutes. But they all need to be captured to hold that area?