Sign in to follow this  
Tartantyco

Methods of improving team organization

There are plenty of ways in which, due to engine limitations, Project Reality can be repetitive and frustrating. One big part for me is team organization.Here there are numerous ways in which Squad can significantly improve upon Project Reality.

Squads:

There should be no default limitations on how many squads can be made, or how many people can be members of a single squad. This should be decided on a server level. Artificial limitations, when they can be avoided, should be avoided. Always.

Communication:

In PR, it can often be extremely taxing to get coherent communication going, as COs and SLs talk over each other, and who have SMs talking to them at the same time. For this reason, I would like to see the addition of radios. As a Squad Leader, I should be able to designate someone in my squad as a radioman, who receives all the radio traffic from COs and SLs, and who can distill the important information from the noise, instead of me having to do that as the SL. I usually have better things to do.

Radios could also allow for greater organizational dynamism. If every player has his own frequency, so I can speak directly to that person, I could once more limit the amount of noise generated. I may want to talk to a single person, while the rest of my squad is doing something else, and do not want to disturb them. 

Organizational restrictions:

I would suggest that customization be restricted on a variety of levels. Namely, game restrictions, server restrictions, CO restrictions, and SL restrictions.

Game restrictions: Since PR has taught us how giving people increased freedom also increases the frequency of retardation, I believe the developers must have some basic framework, either through class restricted equipment pools, inventory restrictions(Weight, size, etc.), or something else, that will apply universally, and cannot be altered through modifications or server settings.

Server restrictions: These should consist of granting COs and SLs the ability to restrict access to equipment for lower-ranked players(Server->CO->SL->SM).

CO restrictions: COs should, provided the server allows them, be able to restrict access to combat roles, vehicles, kits, and specific equipment. Additionally, they should be able to dismiss Squad Leaders.

SL restrictions: Squad Leaders should be able to, provided the server and CO allows them, restrict Squad Member access to combat roles, vehicles, kits, and specific equipment.

Squad members should shut up and do as they're told, damn it!  :P

Following on from this, players should be able to create squad and kit loadout templates that they can apply in games for quick organization. The game should provide some default ones, as could the server, and then every player can make their own. If these loadouts contradict restrictions on a Server, CO, or SL level, then they would be inaccessible.

This is a fantastic idea

As a Squad Leader, I should be able to designate someone in my squad as a radioman, who receives all the radio traffic from COs and SLs, and who can distill the important information from the noise, instead of me having to do that as the SL.

Having a designated radio-man is a bad idea. I've done it a few times in ArmA 2, but it ends up just being another middle-man. You might as well hear what's said from the horse's mouth.

An alternate and more simplistic route would be to just mute SL-ALL channel comms beyond a certain radius, but SL-SL comms still come through whatever the range. Generally if a friendly SL is saying something on SL channel and they're within 500m of you, it probably concerns you and your squad.

Having a designated radio-man is a bad idea. I've done it a few times in ArmA 2, but it ends up just being another middle-man. You might as well hear what's said from the horse's mouth.

An alternate and more simplistic route would be to just mute SL-ALL channel comms beyond a certain radius, but SL-SL comms still come through whatever the range. Generally if a friendly SL is saying something on SL channel and they're within 500m of you, it probably concerns you and your squad.

It depends on what role you've chosen, in the squad lead role it isn't really that helpful, in a company level role with assets with different capacities it's definetly helpful. If the task force commander had a group and he could designate an RTO it would be pretty sweet.

It depends on what role you've chosen, in the squad lead role it isn't really that helpful, in a company level role with assets with different capacities it's definetly helpful. If the task force commander had a group and he could designate an RTO it would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, that's the only situation I see it being useful. As the squad leader, having to have important information passed on through another squad member when it could be received by the SL directly only slows down response time.

Yeah, that's the only situation I see it being useful. As the squad leader, having to have important information passed on through another squad member when it could be received by the SL directly only slows down response time.

It would be a great option if they're a USMC rifle sized squad (13 people) but apparently there is going to be a fireteam system so I imagine the squad leader would have comms with the FTLs, other SLs and the CO only

There are plenty of ways in which, due to engine limitations, Project Reality can be repetitive and frustrating. One big part for me is team organization.Here there are numerous ways in which Squad can significantly improve upon Project Reality.

Squads:

There should be no default limitations on how many squads can be made, or how many people can be members of a single squad. This should be decided on a server level. Artificial limitations, when they can be avoided, should be avoided. Always.

Communication:

In PR, it can often be extremely taxing to get coherent communication going, as COs and SLs talk over each other, and who have SMs talking to them at the same time. For this reason, I would like to see the addition of radios. As a Squad Leader, I should be able to designate someone in my squad as a radioman, who receives all the radio traffic from COs and SLs, and who can distill the important information from the noise, instead of me having to do that as the SL. I usually have better things to do.

Radios could also allow for greater organizational dynamism. If every player has his own frequency, so I can speak directly to that person, I could once more limit the amount of noise generated. I may want to talk to a single person, while the rest of my squad is doing something else, and do not want to disturb them. 

Organizational restrictions:

I would suggest that customization be restricted on a variety of levels. Namely, game restrictions, server restrictions, CO restrictions, and SL restrictions.

Game restrictions: Since PR has taught us how giving people increased freedom also increases the frequency of retardation, I believe the developers must have some basic framework, either through class restricted equipment pools, inventory restrictions(Weight, size, etc.), or something else, that will apply universally, and cannot be altered through modifications or server settings.

Server restrictions: These should consist of granting COs and SLs the ability to restrict access to equipment for lower-ranked players(Server->CO->SL->SM).

CO restrictions: COs should, provided the server allows them, be able to restrict access to combat roles, vehicles, kits, and specific equipment. Additionally, they should be able to dismiss Squad Leaders.

SL restrictions: Squad Leaders should be able to, provided the server and CO allows them, restrict Squad Member access to combat roles, vehicles, kits, and specific equipment.

Squad members should shut up and do as they're told, damn it!  :P

Following on from this, players should be able to create squad and kit loadout templates that they can apply in games for quick organization. The game should provide some default ones, as could the server, and then every player can make their own. If these loadouts contradict restrictions on a Server, CO, or SL level, then they would be inaccessible.

You, sir, have the greatest ideas.