CMW DarthOnaga

Has Anyone Tried Startup Paramaters in Steam for FPS (AMD)

I recall using some Start-up Parameters in steam and getting some large FPS gains. Will these same parameters work with Squad? I don't know if anyone has tried it, but I snagged these from the ARMA forums:

Startup Parameter List

-maxMem= (in MB)

This sets the max allowed amount of Ram that ArmA is allowed to use. Set this to half of your Ram

-maxVRAM= (in MB)

This sets the max allowed video card ram ArmA can use. Set it about the max ram of your card, but leave about 100MB for the OS.

-cpuCount= (1-4)

Sets the number of cores used. You want to set this to the number of cores you have.

-exThreads= (0-7)

Set this to 7 if you have a Quadcore. and to 3 if you're running a Dualcore.
Although, this valure is autodetected, you can set i manually to be just really sure.

-malloc=system

Just set it to system. This works just as it is.

hmm, never even heard of that, but also havent played much Arma either. Would be good to know if that works.

I will try these when I get a moment to see if anything happens. I normally run between 20 and 24 FPS on High. When turning I get down as far as 7FPS. If anyone wants to try, go for it and post your before afters.

-malloc=system and cpucount as well as -nomansky and -winxp I know gave me a boost in FPS, I already used these.

I'm gonna try the other ones I didn't list

Hopefully a fix/optimizations will come soon and we won't need to worry about these parameters! :D

However I understand its the Holidays, so maybe not until 2016.

These are Arma startup parameters and are nothing to do with Steam, so why would they work on Squad? Don't waste your time trying them because they won't do anything apart from maybe cause the game to not start up.

These are Arma startup parameters and are nothing to do with Steam, so why would they work on Squad? Don't waste your time trying them because they won't do anything apart from maybe cause the game to not start up.

He was just trying to help.

I know that, and he asked if they will work, and I'm just telling you all that they won't do anything. They are for a completely different game.

I don't think you're correct. I used many of these start up parameters for ARK Survival and they worked fine. The startup parameters can be located for any Steam based game under the game preferences.

Game launch options can be used to change game settings before running the game. Launch options allow the user to supercede internal settings of the game. This is an effective means to recover from incompatible video settings and well as troubleshooting a wide range of issues.

This topic covers setting game launch options from Steam's Library. Launch options may also be set by creating a game shortcut and Setting Steam Launch Options for the shortcut.

Set Launch Options
  1. Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
  2. Under the General tab click the Set launch options... button.
  3. Enter the launch options you wish to apply (be sure to separate each code with a space) and click OK.
  4. Close the game's Properties window and launch the game.

ARMA had these settings in their launcher to help people simply select the parameter rather than type it in the Steam Launch options.

I don't know. I can't answer that. All I know if that they worked for ARK Survival and ARMA 3. All had performance boosts. Whether the boosts came from the startup parameters or a fluke FPS gain, I don't know. I am just telling you what I've seen from prior uses.

I don't know. I can't answer that. All I know if that they worked for ARK Survival and ARMA 3. All had performance boosts. Whether the boosts came from the startup parameters or a fluke FPS gain, I don't know. I am just telling you what I've seen from prior uses.

Which ones worked for Ark then? The only one in here mentioned that would is nomansky, because that is an Unreal 4 engine param, all of the others mentioned are Arma ones, If any of those Arma ones worked it is a coincidence that they are the same command, because they aren't universal, they are game specific. A lot of those Arma ones were introduced with different patches, they have nothing to do with Steam whatsoever.

Ok so here is a list of them for the Unreal 4 engine (Squad and Ark):

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Basics/CommandLineArguments/index.html

After a quick look through I only see a few that have the same name as ones used by the Arma series and that is nopause, nosound and nosplash (none of these are to do with performance btw), so any other Arma parameters would do nothing in Ark.

You can apply these parameters to all steam games, some may not work others might.  They have everything to do with steam, and some DO work with squad.  You can also try -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10

But by all means, believe what you want. 

You can apply these parameters to all steam games, some may not work others might.  They have everything to do with steam, and some DO work with squad.  You can also try -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10

Thanks for the backup!

Prove it, I already linked to the Arma startup parameters page, and there are only 3 commands in common with the Unreal Engine. These commands are used on non-steam versions of Arma too and are nothing to do with Steam. Are you going to tell me these startup parameters for Operation Flashpoint are for Steam as well, when Steam didn't even exist when it came out? You're talking nonsense. I guarantee you any of those commands listed in the OP will do nothing in Squad because they are for the Arma series/Real Virtuality engine games only.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Operation_Flashpoint:_Startup_Parameters

You can apply these parameters to all steam games, some may not work others might.

So what you're saying is you can't apply these parameters to all steam games, yeah there's a reason for that, it's because they aren't steam parameters, they are for command lines and are game specific, some engines just happen to have named some of them identically so the same command works on different games e.g. both the unreal engine and real virtuality calling their no sound parameter "nosound".

This works from what I have tested. I'd recommend getting an intel processor tho :)