Sign in to follow this  
steviezee

Player driven objectives and base construction

(No, I am not a dev, but I am a PR veteran!)

In the original Project Reality Mod, the base building system was a way to create forward spawn points called FOBs (Forward Operating Base). You see, other than rally points that typically disappear shortly after they are placed, a FOB stays around until destroyed by the enemy, and only becomes unspawnable if enemies are close to it. The reason is because typically you can only spawn at your main, and if you die you'd much rather want to spawn as close to the front lines as possible rather than walk for 10 minutes to engage the enemy.

Once a FOB has been built, given that you have enough supplies, you can build additional defensive emplacements such as machine guns, TOWs (and similar weapons), foxholes, barbed wire, mortars, etc. to defend your spawn point from enemy advancements.

In SQUAD it's hard to say what will be implemented, but more that likely it will be very similar to this.

Just to expand on the FOB system, a FOB is built by a Squad Leader. The Squad Leader needs to secure supply crates somehow. Most commonly this is done by dropping them off from a friendly vehicle.

The Squad Leader then decides where to place the FOB and then designates the spot. This is when the Squad Members move in with their entrenching tools (shovels) and will "dig" at the structure until it is built. Many hands make light work!

in PR the FOBs were rather standard in form, meaning that they all looked the same and you basically pointed them at the enemy and they did their thing...

I have heard mention in these forums of something a bit more... modular. Something about laying down hesco bariers in your own configuration, so that you can arrange your FOBs to complement their strategic placement.

I look forward to seeing how this is implemented.

This would definitely provide a standout feature when comparing it to Insurgency or say Arma 3. Question is can and when will this team deliver?

Looking forward to it...

Zee