Kowalification

Linux/SteamOS?

So... It is my understanding that Unreal Engine 4 works with OpenGL, and is compatible with Vulkan.

This begs the question... Will you ship on Linux/SteamOS? That would make me *very* happy.

Its already been said that SQUAD will be Linux compatible. :)

Currently we're only definitively promising Linux *server* support. I am a huge Linux fan myself and would love to provide Linux support, but it really is too early at this point for us to be able to promise it definitively.

That said there is a good chance we do provide linux client support if it is nominal for us to do so. The nice thing is of course that UE4 supports Linux out of the box, so ideally adding good support on linux is a very simple task.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Currently we're only definitively promising Linux *server* support. [...]

That said there is a good chance we do provide linux client support if it is nominal for us to do so.

I cant state this enough, please be VERY clear about this when prepurchasing/funding/whatever will be happening. As a PR-fan I will buy it nontheless, ofc, but GNU/Linux-gamers will feel tricked if GNU/Linux (client) support gets promised and then not done. Best example would be Insurgency, where they promised GNU/Linux-client support in the beginning (even on Steam) and then backed out of it monts after.

If it isnt viable for the DEV team, thats fine. Ofc, a lot of people (me included) would be happy to see native support, because my Windows-installation isnt called "PR-Boy" out of nothing. ;)

I would be remiss not to mention how the gaming market will be turned on its head this November when the steam machines (and thusly SteamOS) launch.  Anyone not supporting Linux/SteamOS at this point might be missing the proverbial boat come late this year/early next year.  That's not to mention the Vulkan API slated to hit in the same time-frame, which would make life even easier for devs.

As a pure Linux user, I'll only consider buying/supporting/founding(?) if a linux client is 100% confirmed.  The trade-off, it would seem, (while using the UE4 engine/devtools), would include a minimal effort for the developer with likely huge return in the emerging Steam Machine/SteamOS market.  Even if the SteamOS market turns out not to a smashing success, it does not seem like a lot of extra time/resources would have to be invested for Linux support, since UE4 has integrated their Linux/OpenGL support to the max, as already mentioned by Merlin.

This is just my $0.02 ofc, but I figured I'd dump em on the table.

Currently we're only definitively promising Linux *server* support. I am a huge Linux fan myself and would love to provide Linux support, but it really is too early at this point for us to be able to promise it definitively.

That said there is a good chance we do provide linux client support if it is nominal for us to do so. The nice thing is of course that UE4 supports Linux out of the box, so ideally adding good support on linux is a very simple task.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Can I ask why your greenlight stated Linux as a platform? I was about to write an article for GamingOnLinux.com until I saw this post.

I hate to be negative, but that seems a little backwards to state it's a platform, get votes, and state here it's only server.

Care to clear that up for us?

Can I ask why your greenlight stated Linux as a platform? I was about to write an article for GamingOnLinux.com until I saw this post.

I hate to be negative, but that seems a little backwards to state it's a platform, get votes, and state here it's only server.

Indeed, I voted for the greenlight before it was successful because I saw this:

nxot2w.png

If there is no native linux client, that would seem incredibly misleading <_<

Yes, of course. The linux support listed on the greenlight page was the result of a misunderstanding during the greenlight page setup. The misunderstanding stems from the fact that we are currently already building the linux client (which as of yet has not actually been tested) in order to support dedicated linux support. The dev on our team who was setting up the greenlight page / our marketing side mistook this to mean we are promising Linux support.

We certainly do not wish to misrepresent what we are guaranteeing for delivery, and as such I have gone to both the greenlight and indiedb page and listed that Windows is the only platform we are officially guaranteeing client-side support for at this time.

For the time being that is the best I can tell you. I understand that some people may have voted yes with the understanding that we are currently promising client-side linux support, and I am truly sorry that we misrepresented this fact to people. If there is anything else I can do to help feel free to ask or PM me any other questions you have.

What I don't quite get, is how none of you twigged that both Greenlight and IndieDB said Linux was a platform? Are these things not checked by anyone other than one PR guy?

Also, https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/402654862/611702631226357670/

Why are two different devs saying very clearly yes?

Again, I don't want to jump on anyone here, but it's quite shady to say Yes when it's not. No one likes being taken for a ride.

What I don't quite get, is how none of you twigged that both Greenlight and IndieDB said Linux was a platform? Are these things not checked by anyone other than one PR guy?

Also, https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/402654862/611702631226357670/

Why are two different devs saying very clearly yes?

Again, I don't want to jump on anyone here, but it's quite shady to say Yes when it's not. No one likes being taken for a ride.

It all boils down to the fact that there is not a across the board understanding on the team currently for whether we are promising delivery to Linux. I believe it is better to clarify this now even if it may be a let down for some, then to fully promise it now and not be able to deliver later.

The fact of the matter is we don't have enough information to promise Linux support at this time. I think everyone on the team universally wants to support Linux, and I believe that was the intent of those responses in that thread. My best estimate given what I know now would be there is something like a 70-80% chance that we do support both Linux and Mac. That said, we cannot guarantee that we will have the resources needed or that we won't run into showstopping issues involving either platform along the way.

Delivering a game of our scope with as many technical features as we are promising now will be difficult enough for Windows. While it may be perfectly possible to ship to Linux in the future, there is also the chance that there could be show stopping issues relating to libraries / driver support which make it unreasonable for us to deliver a playable game on the platform.

Either way, I'll certainly bring up the issue at our team meeting this weekend and we'll be sure to have a more uniform answer to the question among the team for the future. If we decide to fully commit to it as a team, you guys will be the first to hear.

One reason for me to never question that Linux mention there, were because I always assumed it were for server support for Linux as what I have understood the Linux servers for PR were a big thing.

Give these guys a chance they are basically done (PR:BF2) what Linux is all about (or at least were).  Plus now trying to make standalone which isn't cheap in resources and time.

Edit: Typos und grammar

I don't want it to seem like us Linux-types are hounding the devs here with a project still getting off the ground.  Obviously there is a lot more time and resources to be invested in this project, and it's the devs' baby.  And it should be that way: it's their game, their call.

I have nothing but respect for game devs.  As someone who's done modeling/skinning(textures)/soundpacks over the years, I know how much time-invested even those smallish mods require.  I am passionate about Linux and use it for some very good reasons that apply to my needs.

One thing I do know, however, is if linux is in the plans (or even likely), it'll be far easier now to compile and maintain the Mac/Linux branches in stride (version-wise) with the Windows version, than to have to port it (or have it ported by a 3rd party) in its entirety after the fact.

One thing I do know, however, is if linux is in the plans (or even likely), it'll be far easier now to compile and maintain the Mac/Linux branches in stride (version-wise) with the Windows version, than to have to port it (or have it ported by a 3rd party) in its entirety after the fact.

Yes, compatibility with all 3 is planned despite us not promising it outright at the moment.

Overall I would say it is very likely we end up deploying to both platforms, given how well UE4 supports both Linux and MacOS out of the box.

I think there is a bit of extra irritation since this is basically the same thing that NWI did with Insurgency; Promise Linux client support when they were not able to *guarantee* delivery.

They ALSO wanted to, and they ALSO expected to, but when it came time to get the linux binaries from Valve for Source, there was a disconnect, and the linux community that had largely pre-purchased based on this fact was hung out to dry. Now I love Insurgency, and as an OS Omnivore, I feel for the Linux folk.

I think its good to have this discussion now, and I appreciate the move to clarify now, before pre-purchase/kickstarter.

Hopefully we get to see this one work out, and based on the apparent willingness of Epic to facilitate its engine's use, I expect it to. Linux needs a good FPS, and it might as well be the best FPS, which is what I expect Squad to be for me.

I think its good to have this discussion now, and I appreciate the move to clarify now, before pre-purchase/kickstarter.

Hopefully we get to see this one work out, and based on the apparent willingness of Epic to facilitate its engine's use, I expect it to. Linux needs a good FPS, and it might as well be the best FPS, which is what I expect Squad to be for me.

+1

I do appreciate the clarity and candor of your responses, Merlin.  I have 100% completely ditched Windows as of 2009.  Ever since Steam came out for linux (even in Beta) I've had one little celebration after another.  Being that I'm a veteran and my career is within the firearms industry, it's nice to see a game of this flavor finally link up with my other passion...or at least likely xD

You know, I've ported a few games to Linux before. No guarantees, but there's a good chance these ports will happen. ;) I have a vested personal interest in that. ;)

You know, I've ported a few games to Linux before. No guarantees, but there's a good chance these ports will happen. ;) I have a vested personal interest in that. ;)

oooooh, hello there ;)

Well I didn't know you were on the dev team :D, this has made me somewhat happier!

Looking forward to possibly seeing this game on Linux, but the miscommunication between developers and the misleading Linux support on greenlight and indiedb is worrying. It'd be different if it was said that Linux support was being looked at and planned but not confirmed in the first place, but that wasn't the case here. I for one won't be backing the kickstarter or buying the game with the current information.

Current information is that there is no Linux support. The only miscommunication was at greenlight and that was rectified. As you can see in this thread, Linux will be investigated, and if having a functional Linux build is prerequisite to your satisfaction, then you are wise to hold off. Hopefully the devs become so well funded by Windows backers that the Linux community gets to reap the reward of the paid development time, but there is no promise of that in this Kickstarter.

Obviously providing a game of this caliber to the Linux community would come with its own intrinsic benefits, but you can only split 22 devs so many ways and still get things done. Especially when they have dayjobs and mouths to feed. Regardless, we appreciate your interest, now or hopefully in the future.

Came here just to find this thread.

I'm surprised no one has referenced UT3 so far.. all previous (and the the new in development) Unreal Tournaments had linux binaries.. UT3 was promised to have them on the disc at launch and tons of linux users pre-ordered. then the discs came and there were no linux binaries.. and 3 years later these people who still had paid games in hand still had no way to play it when they finally announced they were dropping support for the linux client. That was apparently some legal trouble with some 3rd party network code or game browser or something like that, not the game itself.

Anyway, I don't think anyone means to come down on the devs here. The linux users (such as myself) are very protective of the community around this since it has unfortunately become a recurring thing with other games.

I get that stuff got misidentified and I think the answers to that have been incredibly transparent and inviting of more questions. so I think in this thread everyone can be on the same page, which is good.  Though I'm sorry to anyone who put down a vote and felt mislead, but I think the response is acceptable.

Anyway, I'm just here to +1 the continued development of the linux and mac versions along side the windows version. I don't like games that promise linux support to get votes/money only to spend all of their time making the windows version, release that, then really start working on the linux version. By the time we get to buy/play the game is sometimes years old and something better is about to come out anyway.

keep up the good work everyone, even if it doesn't end up with a linux client the game still looks like a lot of fun.

I think there is a bit of extra irritation since this is basically the same thing that NWI did with Insurgency; Promise Linux client support when they were not able to *guarantee* delivery.

They ALSO wanted to, and they ALSO expected to, but when it came time to get the linux binaries from Valve for Source, there was a disconnect, and the linux community that had largely pre-purchased based on this fact was hung out to dry. Now I love Insurgency, and as an OS Omnivore, I feel for the Linux folk.

Hi all, made an account for this response:

I was one of those Linux backers who initially got "hung out to dry", but at least they finally made good on their promise, and they were never ambiguous in their communications.

From day 1, they said "As soon as Valve releases the Linux version of CS:GO to us, we will be able to make the Linux version of Insurgency". Presumably because CS:GO was made by Hidden Path under contract with Valve and not Valve directly, it took a damn sight longer than anyone expected, but almost 2 full years later they finally got their hands on it. I've been playing Insurgency on my Xubuntu 15.10 install almost every day since they put it up on the public test server last month.

With all that being said, although I understand your stance on support, that should have been communicated beforehand to anyone talking directly to your customers. If your stance is "maybe, but no promises" that's fine, but in that case it's very scummy to have developers giving an unambiguous "YES!" to people. I wonder how many Linux users pre-ordered based on that promise.

Personally, between Insurgency and Skullgirls, I've learned my lesson. Although I haven't been burned to the point that a Linux version never got released for either of those games, I'll buy once the Linux version is released and out of the door and not before. It's exactly the same reason I'm not buying Rocket League yet, although I fully intend to once the Linux release is officially out and confirmed not vaporware. Trust between Linux consumers and developers across the gaming scene is being lost pointlessly due to things like this.

Best of luck with your development plans.

Yes, compatibility with all 3 is planned despite us not promising it outright at the moment.

Overall I would say it is very likely we end up deploying to both platforms, given how well UE4 supports both Linux and MacOS out of the box.

Could you give a hint of the status of maybe-upcoming Linux / OSX test-build ?

1. Does it build?
  2. Does it start?
  3. Mean time between Crash To Desktop? seconds vs minutes?
  4. Number of things not working out of the box?
  5. Only minor issues?

Since UE4Editor provides a button to build for Linux, it should be easy to provide a hint where we are at  :rolleyes:

Will there be a test-build for Linux / OSX on launch? -- would totally understand if it was a "assumed broken" -tagged. But nevertheless it would be a gesture.

I'v been waiting for any kind of news from linux related development, and all I can find is 6 months ago of one M4 related bug fix  :wacko:

When can we have the game we kickstarted for ? :angry: