Sign in to follow this  
AirborneVet88

Squad Leader-- A How To Guide

So You Want To Be A Squad Leader [sL]

Every player I hope at one point or another will want to take on the task of being a Squad Leader.  While demanding, it can be one of the most rewarding things to do in this game.  Below I will give my personal tips and tricks to make YOU a better squad leader!

Basic Leadership

Rally Points- Always make sure you have a rally point.  You can put another one down every 2 minutes. No Excuse!  Keep an eye on how many respawns you have at your current point.  If it is getting low and you can replenish it by putting a new one down, do it.

Communicate-  Your squad is not made up of mind readers.  Tell them what your general plan will be.  Attacking/Defending/Flanking/Support.  One of the biggest mood killers and fun lacking game play comes from a squad that is not communicating.  This doesn't mean talk about what you had for lunch, but more so call out what is going on.  Your squad will respond with the more info you are feeding them.  Distance, direction of enemies,friendly squads, land features and other things in game are great ice breakers and ways to keep immersion.  Sure we are walking 2km to the objective but we are aware of everything around us as if its an active threat.

Awareness-  Just like a medic, your job is not to just shoot stuff.  You need to have an understanding of your location.  Valleys,compounds,open fields, friendly units.  Nothing sucks more then being hit by an ambush and no one is saying anything.  As a squad leader you need to make a choice.  Your squad should be getting to cover and returning fire while calling out locations and compass barrings.  At this time you need to be thinking about your next move.  Do you push through the firefight?  Do you stay and dig in?  Do you run?  Making the right choice will be dictated by your in game combat experience.  If you plan on running or flanking, call out a distance and direction for where you want your squad to move.  This way everyone will be running, retreating,flanking from the same angle.  The more of you that are together, the more chance of survival.

Confidence-  This one is simple, if you make a choice, stand by it!  Do not second guess yourself and jump back and fourth between plans.  Obviously if the whole squad is against something re look into it, but other then that it is your job to decided where to go.  The squad will generally follow you.  

Support-  Help another squad out, use the squad leader channel when you need to.  Make sure you are understanding the over all teams movement.  All squads included.  Make sure you are either defending a flag/cache or moving to assault another one.  Stagnation can bring a squads morale down and even cause break down of roles.  

Forward Operating Bases-  It is always a good idea for a team to have 1 if not 2 Forward Operating Bases [FOBs].  If built in the right area and even defended these can change the tide of battle!  They allow the whole team to spawn on it with no limit for as long as the radio stands.  There is a bit of an issue with squads building super FOBS, or being FOBits who camp inside the FOB the whole match.  This will be the biggest choice you will have to make for your guys when constructing a FOB.  You will need to decided how big, where, and how long you will stay there.  Sure its fun building a huge FOB but sometimes your squad and your team needs you to be a DIRECT ACTION squad.  This goes back to your general awareness of the match itself.  FOBs are not bad things, they are awesome and needed very much, just don't be a FOBit.

Orders-  This is another key component that if you fail on, will likely be the demise of fun squad experience!  Make sure you are giving ORDERS to your guys.  Do not bark orders or be a moron about it, but you have the authority to tell your squad what to do.  You need these bunkers and things built on the FOB?  Tell you guys!  You need to move out to a better position for whatever reason?  Tell your guys!  You want to smoke off an open field to help your medic pick up fellow troops?  Tell your guys!  Its like Communication and Confidence part of this guides final test.  The more clear concise orders you have out there, the more your squad is being forced to think and act.  Don't give your guys to much dwell time unless in an over watch position.

Hope this helps some people and hope it was an easy read.  Wanted to keep it basic.

Long Live Sqaud

Ingame Name = LeBronda James

That's really good advice.

Being new at this game, the squad leaders that inform you of the situation and what the plan is definitely suck you in and immerse the player in to the game.

Good luck to all those players that take up the role of SL. Hard to do.

That's really good advice.

Thank you for the feedback!  This is pretty much my first guide ever.  I personally love squad leader!  Glad to know someone else was able to understand it, much love.

I thought it a very good post.

From my experience it can be a little overwhelming when just starting out, especially when you join a squad where 7 players have been playing with each other before. The SL should be the one welcoming the new player and communicating the plan.

Communication is key. Like you say, SL shouldn't necessarily be shooting all of the time, they're more of a director.

Pulling this straight from one of my old posts. 

Pretty well sums up how I SL and what I look for in any SL.

To me it comes down to:

Communication (Absolutely first and foremost)
- Both up and down the chain. Let your guys know what the big picture is and what other squads are dealing with and send important info from your squad to other SL's. 
- Be clear, simple, and concise. You don't need a 10 minute speech on where the enemy is or where to move next, a quick call out is all you need (Good ol' 3 D's). Same goes for relaying info to other SL's.
- Come up with a plan with the other SL's on how to take the fight to the enemy. Think strategically, do you really need to maneuver like you are? or would you be worth more moving your squad a different way?  

Situational Awareness (SA) 
- Always keep your head moving, scanning for enemies whilst keeping your face in your map, constantly looking where you can maneuver, exploit the terrain, or cover different fields of fire to gain the upper hand on the enemy. 
- Keep an idea where your squad is, knowing where your guys are located gives you an idea of where you can focus your firepower or whether or not you can effectively mount any kind of attack or defense. 
- AVOID TUNNEL VISION. Everyone has done it, knowing when to fall back and when to maneuver can mean the difference between winning a round or not.
- Think like the enemy. Where would you set up to attack or defend an objective if you were in their shoes? Is the ridge you're running up in direct view of where the enemy might be to have a good field of fire in your direction? What if you maneuver in defilade to attack their position instead of skylining yourself on the ridge, making you and your squad a clear target?
- You have more than 2 eyes. Your squad mates are like a bunch of sensors, bask in the information they send up. 

Decisiveness and Initiative
- Sometimes, any order is better than none. Make quick decisions. It may not be the best one, but you may live longer than if you don't. The enemy is out there looking to kill you fast, think faster and kill them first. 
- Be confident in your plan. It may get you killed immediately, but such is any firefight.
- Be aggressive when engaging the enemy and be one step ahead of him.
- Be flexible and ready to quickly change your plans. The enemy may come from somewhere unexpected. 

Calm, Patient, Coordinated, and Motivated
- Try not to freak out when under any kind of fire, keep a cool head and try to keep the squad organized, the calmest and most clearly thinking usually takes the field.
- This is just a game. Be nice, especially to new players. Explain to them whats going to happen and what is happening as simple as you can. It all goes back to Communication and being clear and concise. Remember, You were new once too. 
- Be human and don't micromanage. The guys in your squad are as human as you are, tell them what you need them to do, not how to do it. 
- The first casualty of any firefight is the plan. The ability to be flexible and calm and adapt to whatever situation your handed is pivotal.
- You know how it is. Getting into an epic squad vs. squad firefight brings out some of the best in Squad and PR, whether or not you lose. That struggle gets people pumped. Play off of it and use it to the squad's advantage and watch teamwork go to a whole new level. Cheer your squad mates on when they're laying down the pain with LAT or an AR. If anything it makes for good footage    :D.
- ALWAYS play the objective. However, playing the objective may not necessarily mean being ON the objective. Use the terrain. In many instances, a location off the objective is MUCH more beneficial for defense/attack than hugging it.

Reference my Communication Kills video:

Ultimately the SL's role is to take a squad and all its firepower and wits and direct that force in the most effective way possible. You'll see real quick if a SL realizes this and is a good SL or not, especially if they have no mic    

Something you already mentioned in your guide and the #1 tip for (especially new) squad leaders is:

Placing Rallies. Always put your Squad's spawning first. If someone were to do NOTHING ELSE as a Squad Leader- the bare minimum and most helpful action is to always have a rally and monitor its remaining spawn amount.

It really is annoying to join into squads with Squad Leaders who had the role passed down to them. No matter how many times you asked them they will not respond to anything or place a rally. There has been entire matches with no rallies anywhere on the map until myself and other players decide to make their own squad and place a FOB for the team and rallies for their own Squad.

Pretty much everything you said @Catindabox i agree with.  Originally the guide started as a straight up Platoon Leader Ship Course, then I laughed and said to hell with the advanced guide, lets make a simple effective basic leadership and command one.  Thats another reason why this game kicks so much arse.  You can have so many different types of SL and well, the types and area of contact will always change no matter how many times you play the same map.

The creed of the SL should go like this:

"As a squad leader I accept to take responsibility for the most important part of my squad, their fun. If they fail it is because I failed them, if they excel it is because I led them."

All other thoughts should be secondary to this even your "tacticool". 

1 or 2 FOBs? More like as many as you can securely place.

I meant this as in what you can handle.  While I do not disagree with you I will say 2 fobs per assault, I.E Outside of the flag objective overlooking flag and or possible re enforcement route seems to be enough.  But again, if you have 5 amazing SL anything is possibly in this game.  It just gets annoying when 5 squads can barely put together one decent protected FOB let alone half ass 4 or 5 of them -_-  I did state in the guide though that they are AWESOME and NEEDED.  Not downplaying em at all.