Unless somebody else already mentioned it: Mythbusters did a thing on Dodging a Snipers Bullet. They found virually no muzzle flash in ammo used by "snipers" - coz stealth. They had to use "Prop" ammo, used in film/tv, to actually get any real visible flash - their "cue" to dodge the incomming bullet.

This game is about close / midrange combat. 

anyone that cant tell friend from foe needs more time on the fields or more trigger discipline.. its that simple welcome to the shit.

Muzzle flashes or not, what about kicking up dust? There is an incredible power behind a gun shot that i honestly have never seen done in a game correctly, muzzle flashes are not noticeable really on long ranges, dust is though as the soldier in this video can identify his enemy by dust kicking up: 

(anyone know why he taped up his ACOG light tube btw?)

NO on daylight you see no muzzle flash from rifles !!! only with a cam or a maked video ! you will not see it in real life on daylight. only in the evening you will see more and more with the darkness !

Muzzle flashes or not, what about kicking up dust? There is an incredible power behind a gun shot that i honestly have never seen done in a game correctly, muzzle flashes are not noticeable really on long ranges, dust is though as the soldier in this video can identify his enemy by dust kicking up: 

(anyone know why he taped up his ACOG light tube btw?)

Its taped to prevent over saturation caused by light coming in which makes the triangle reticle in the ACOG harder to see. A lot of guys do it, and many others don't. I personally never saw the need.

This game is about close / midrange combat. 

yeah, i know.

i guess i meant it as a generalisation in regards to maybe some ammo types having an influence? (ammo types designed to not give away your position so easily)

JO would only show up flashes in dim light or night time. the MP5silenced only showed flashes when you were pretty much in front of the barrel.

Its taped to prevent over saturation caused by light coming in which makes the triangle reticle in the ACOG harder to see. A lot of guys do it, and many other don't. I personally never saw the need.

This is the exactly right answer, I never saw a reason for it either.  Mine worked great, but to be honest I'm pretty sure my tube was broken in half..

You'd propably have a better chance of seeing the dust most guns kick up, than the actual flash. I hope this will be added in the future, so that when you're lying down (especially on a desert map), you will have a significant amount of dust kick up, that can reveal your position.

Its taped to prevent over saturation caused by light coming in which makes the triangle reticle in the ACOG harder to see. A lot of guys do it, and many other don't. I personally never saw the need.

IronComatose, I've seen many of these videos posted by actual soldiers with go pros.  Are these guys Army, Marines, special forces?  I always thought acogs and stuff were for higher end units, or maybe I just have a general misconception about how it all works.  Just curious.

IronComatose, I've seen many of these videos posted by actual soldiers with go pros.  Are these guys Army, Marines, special forces?  I always thought acogs and stuff were for higher end units, or maybe I just have a general misconception about how it all works.  Just curious.

No, everyone gets an ACOG. It has been that way for quite some time. And our SAWs/IARs get SDOs and our M240s have MDOs.

Optics, optics everywhere!

That's a bit of a contradiction there pal, add muzzle flash to make it realistic but please add more floating names above peoples heads to make it easier? Just saying.

I don't think so. If your going to show names above heads at all, then make it consistent or take it out entirely. Too many situations where its rendering for some people and not for others, or at least have a training screen that shows the various team uniforms for FOF at load in. T vs conventional is easy but US vs RUS gets dicey.

As far as muzzle flash currently the ak's have none. If m4's and snipers really don't have flash then they don't need, them. I just find many "one way" situations where someone in cover can shoot me, misses, i look where the sound is coming from 100% accurately and still cant get any fix or see any whizzing bullets. It could just be a rendering issue on the settings i'm currently running, but is very frustrating and makes me not want to play this game.

On 1/24/2016 at 9:33 PM, Going in deep said:

I just find many "one way" situations where someone in cover can shoot me, misses, i look where the sound is coming from 100% accurately and still cant get any fix or see any whizzing bullets. 

Bump.

This is still an issues almost 3 years later. Good revamp on vehicles and base building but the modeling for concealed shooters is too nerve wracking. Passive cover works great until you fire, then your a sitting duck because the object of your bullet flying out draws a line to your position, muzzle flash or not. There is a shock wave, dust kick, the rifle jolts creating movement. If someone shoots me super long range with a sniper that's one thing but I'm having serious shot placement issues at medium range on very high graphics.

Please fix.

BUMP APRIL 2019 SAME ISSUE. Sound fix is good, shots are not making any shock wave to move foliage or break leaves, no dust, no flash even direct down rifle.

Its an explosion. Please make it realistic.

this game needs a huge dose of atmosphere that the unreal engine is capable of without losing lots of fps

but they will prob just add more r.fog=1

59 minutes ago, Going in deep said:

BUMP APRIL 2019 SAME ISSUE. Sound fix is good, shots are not making any shock wave to move foliage or break leaves, no dust, no flash even direct down rifle.

Its an explosion. Please make it realistic.

There's been an improvement to muzzle flash in v13, only in the first person view from what I've noticed though. There's more detail in the muzzle flash, and illuminates on close surfaces.

Back in the day, muzzle blast caused a lot more particle effects to ground/surfaces - But was toned down a bit for performance reasons - 80 guns causing dust everywhere, on top of explosion shock waves causing dust everywhere, did cause performance drops, especially in chaotic fights. The jump to UE4.21 has given quite a nice performance increase, and there's some little details added in, especially in the VFX department, so we can probably expect sometime in the future for things to be beefed up again.

44 minutes ago, smo0ths said:

this game needs a huge dose of atmosphere that the unreal engine is capable of without losing lots of fps

but they will prob just add more r.fog=1

V13 has some nice improvements.
- 1st person muzzle flash(More detail + illumination)
- Deployables destruction has more particles and debris
- Water bullet impacts have been improved
- Water visuals improved(including better water ripples when walking through)
- Improved lighting

and some other things I've probably missed.

Performance is an issue every person needs to tackle within the limits of their own rig's capabilities. I'm having firefights where I can see friendly allies bullets as objects just fine flying out, but being shot at is just a suppression effect with no object, no muzzle flash, no indication of where it's coming from. If they are in a bush, they are tearing that bush to shred IRL but in game its just a 1-way situation.

Also the object of the bullet ( assuming your staring at the person shooting you) is actually moving very little by vector radial, so the object would be highly visible, fast moving, energetic, arcing a bit, and near miss shots would be a black wiz. The object is not showing up at all without a tracer.

Some guns don't use tracers, so your just getting 1-wayed. Not fun.

Posted (edited)

Some of you need to stop trying to be internet experts. The ak has substantial flash. The M16 has very little but if you are looking at it on the receiving end it does have a small amount of flash. Also I agree with having the game a little more on the realistic side and not having huge fireballs but in order to get directional awareness of the wiz and crack you really would have to have a home theater. A good quality headset might be able to sort of replicate that but it will not fully replicate it and you need speakers all around you in order to compensate for not having any relay true auditory situational awareness and not even as little flash as these weapons have in real life.

Edited by Bu3d

Posted (edited)

The flash is mainly due to the powder and the barrel length that is being used. The combloc stuff is a lot dirtier than commercial or western ammo, hence the flash. My Mosin carbine with only a 20 inch barrel using surplus ammo looks like a dragon breathing fire. If I use commercial stuff there is none. In the game you can see smoke and a bit of flash already in the game. This is not Quake or Doom. I can see people fairly far away when they fire, just look harder. If you think firearms flashes are like hollywood you're fooling yourself. They are called "theatrical blanks" for a reason. Also the m16 series and Ak74 series have Muzzle brakes, not flash hiders. They direct gasses up or away from the bullet as it leaves the barrel to either act against the recoil force or to push waste gasses away from the exiting bullet to increase accuracy. Also flash hiders don't hide the flash from the target. It hides flash from the shooter so as not to kill his night vision when shooting at night or low light conditions. In general with a rifle length barrel and an intermediate cartridge there would be almost no flash at all, especially unoticable in the daytime. You may get a little smoke depending on how dirty the ammo or rifle is but not much. It's fine as it is. The rifle firing effects are fine, look harder.

Edited by tmpwhore

Posted (edited)

Ok, heres the thing:

In real life there's no issue of a pixel count for distant objects in the render process so in that case, very small things happen at distant ranges, and if they are high velocity and bright, we see them fairly accurately because of how our eyes adapted over the eons to detect dangerous things.

In game the dev is weighing the obvious position reveal vs. having too many of a small count of pixels lighting up. here's my point, medium/medium to long range is too hard to see, and when bullets fly really close to you there is no vector to see it's origin. So those are two opportunities where a more reasonable pixel percentage could indicate position without turning all long range shooters in miniature Koopa bosses.

Edited by Going in deep