Sign in to follow this  
Assi

Aspiring Mod Makers?!

Community Standpoint on Modding  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in creating content / mods for Squad? (eg. characters, weapons, vehicles, maps, props, fx, audio, code, textures, materials etc - please list!)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have any previous modding experience, in any game? (please list games if applicable!)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you require documentation and / or tutorials for creating content for Squad / Unreal Engine 4?

• Yes
    • No

Hi guise!

I'm making this thread to get a show of hands from the community when it comes to modding. I'm aware we still might be quite a while away from the Squad SDK and modding in general, but I'm planning to write documentation on it once it's is available. Maybe the devs will provide documentation on this for us when it comes nearer to the time (they've already released some tutorials on it!) but there might be a lot of new people out there who won't understand it because they don't have prior experience.. but are willing to learn!

My goal is to author something really quick and simple that covers the basics which might not be covered by the devs. I highly doubt they're going to teach us how to use other software such as 3D modeling packages and texturing tools! All of this information is already out there for us to learn from but sometimes demonstrations can be the best resource... you'll learn how to work through a full pipeline specific to Squad itself.

For example: I could create a video series or a written breakdown on creating weapons and getting them into Squad via the SDK. The same would go for vehicles, props, textures, materials etc. Short and sweet created for you to understand what the requirements are for specific mods. Something such as a high overview of a general workflow could be done first in order to get people on the same page and once that's finished we could get into specifics further down the line with demonstrations and examples.

Of course, all of this could be absolutely irrelevant if the devs drop a huge knowledge base on us along with the SDK! However, just in case that doesn't happen, I would like to have a basic idea on what we, as a modding community, would require to get us going. OWI are a pretty small team, so it would be completely understandable and expected that they would release the SDK with minimal information or guides while the game is still in full development. Although, I'm not sure if there's any legal requirements for them to release an SDK with full documentation as a result of developing on Unreal Engine 4.

I would be completely fine if they just dropped the devkit on us and said "Have fun figuring it out guys, see you when you make something!". :D Anyway, lets see how many aspiring and experienced modders we have in this community!

PS: I'm an artist, in case anyone is interested. I'm not a development guru or anything! Would be nice to also see if anyone else from multiple / different disciplines is interested in creating something like this as well. :)

I'm a digital sculptor/CAD modeler, so I could be of some use I think. Maybe character models, landscape assets or something? I've been at it for over 10 years, but my knowledge and work pipeline is creating for the real world, not for gaming. I'm curious, but a noob, much to learn.

I'm a digital sculptor/CAD modeler, so I could be of some use I think. Maybe character models, landscape assets or something? I've been at it for over 10 years, but my knowledge and work pipeline is creating for the real world, not for gaming. I'm curious, but a noob, much to learn.

Awesome man! The great thing is, no matter what industry we're in, a lot of the foundational knowledge and skills translate across. I mainly focus on environments, props and generally hard surface stuff.. and I'm pretty weak at characters so that would be cool!

I'm wondering.. maybe the community could set up a modding wiki or a hub for mods in Squad in general with a knowledge / tutorial center down the line. Similar to how the Squad League fellas are running their show! :D

Awesome man! The great thing is, no matter what industry we're in, a lot of the foundational knowledge and skills translate across. I mainly focus on environments, props and generally hard surface stuff.. and I'm pretty weak at characters so that would be cool!

I'm wondering.. maybe the community could set up a modding wiki or a hub for mods in Squad in general with a knowledge / tutorial center down the line. Similar to how the Squad League fellas are running their show! :D

I am going to carry on a conversation about this wiki.

I think its very important to use the wiki, but i also think its going to be very important we do fan modding sites too.

A tad messy now, but the Arma forums from BI is pretty good. We can gather information from there years later and rework some of the scripts or mods if we desire. I like Armaholic for mods, scripts. It allows the users to use github, and their own support forums.

Ark since its on the same engine seems to work ok for the most part in steam. I don't think its perfect, but it does work. One of the biggest issues with support is the lack of steam support for coding etc..

also remember anything you put up in steam can be used by valve, so you need to review that fine print.

Anyone asking for donations for server use, needs to decide what and where would be a good location site to share scripts and mods from.

Otherwise steam is pretty good to store assets, and mods.

I could use some good guides on how to deal with Squad SDK, and graphical asset import and exporting into a Squad SDK. I know its early for squad SDK, however i could get started on using 3d Max, or other products. I have not learned how to do graphics with these programs. If you have any good tuts it would be very helpful to get started now.

I think starting a wiki site first and get it going would help all of us greatly.

We should be able to start posting utube guides on UE4, since i noticed over 2000+ of them already.

I would also like to know if we plan to use a wiki format like arma 3 for listing all assets and faction assets in the same fashion.

Here is an example.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgPatches_CfgVehicles#A3_Structures_F_Civ_Market

This is just an example layout. Please be aware of copyright.

A simple request from the devs???

- Do we currently have a listing of assets already planned in UE4 for the modding?

- Will we be able to start working on some assets soon enough? Squad SDK pack.

When do you expect us to be able to start alpha testing these assets and modding. I would hate to be left out of the loop if others get the go ahead first. I would be honored and given the ability to setup a test server (would need the files first) then i can start working on UE4 level design. I am learning it now, so this would be perfect for me since squad sdk isn't really started.

I am just asking, so i can get started on developing my own map with assets.

If you haven't used this before, http://maca134.co.uk/portfolio/m3editor-arma-3-map-editor/

Maca made a nice editor for us in arma 3. I don't expect the SQUAD SDK to be anything less then what ARK has now.

Any hints yet? for us junior devs?

Thx

Sneaks

This is the kind of stuff i love doing. I put a ton of effort into Arma 3 epoch, then exile. I only used the base mod as a sandbox theme. I one day would love to make my own sandbox theme. This is why i am trying to learn most of the aspects of UE4 and then turn to the graphics side of it. We are talking a ton of time i doubt i have. But i would still like to say i did it. Even if it was 10 years later.

Anyway i liked to do the scripting in arma 3. I also used a ton of tools. I made some cool scripts to work on my private hosted server. For 10 to 20 guys playing against AI in a sandbox theme was fun enough.

What i wanted to do, was add in a theme like this into a private squad server. Allowing me to add in missions, or ai to help improve on the dynamics of squad. Hostile areas held by militia but we also fight against each other. The net code will suck i bet adding in AI players. but i can honestly say i want to try. Part of the problem is the amount of assets, and AI really take its toll on the cpu.