Sign in to follow this  
MusicNote

Idea: Different methods of rendering 3d scopes.

I'm not a programmer or anything so forgive me for my ignorance,but...would it be possible to give players different options when it comes to rendering 3d scopes?

I mean if a player has a high end GPU,instead of rendering the scene twice,a technique using supersampling (rendering the scene at a higher resolution than the monitor can display) and magnifiying the center of the screen could be used. Giving players the options of using old methods as you'd see in goldeneye,battlefield 2/3/4,and pretty much every other fps with a sniper scope would be nice too.

Changing the way the scope behaves could well alter the behaviour of a given weapon, so having alternate methods determined by the client could lead to a weapon being more effective than it otherwise "should" be. That said, I'm not sure how supersampling works or anything but it sounds cool on paper as long as the weapon behaves identically.

so having alternate methods determined by the client could lead to a weapon being more effective than it otherwise "should" be

I think all the OP was saying is this:

Under the Options / Video Settings menu, the player can choose one of the following that best suits his PC:

3D Scope

The more-expensive rendering method is used, which allows the game to actually simulate the zooming-in effect of the weapon scope. The player is able to enjoy the zooming magnification of the scope, but also has some peripheral vision because the region outside the scope is the unzoomed magnification.

Traditional Scope

For players with crappier PCs, this method is used. The game simply zooms up the camera to achieve the same magnification as the 3D Scope method, but the consequence is severely-impaired peripheral vision since the entire screen is at the same zoom level.

Both methods would have the same zoom level. It's just that players with bad PCs don't get to have very much peripheral vision.

I think OP's idea is good.

I think all the OP was saying is this:

Under the Options / Video Settings menu, the player can choose one of the following that best suits his PC:

3D Scope

The more-expensive rendering method is used, which allows the game to actually simulate the zooming-in effect of the weapon scope. The player is able to enjoy the zooming magnification of the scope, but also has some peripheral vision because the region outside the scope is the unzoomed magnification.

Traditional Scope

For players with crappier PCs, this method is used. The game simply zooms up the camera to achieve the same magnification as the 3D Scope method, but the consequence is severely-impaired peripheral vision since the entire screen is at the same zoom level.

Both methods would have the same zoom level. It's just that players with bad PCs don't get to have very much peripheral vision.

I think OP's idea is good.

I know what he's saying, it's that a full screen zoomed in (Well, the parts that aren't blacked out/blurred/w/e) may present the image more clearly than how it appears when it's "magnified". Getting the same size aperture and FOV may also be an issue, as well as the whole mis-aligned scope thing you can see going on in the video Hoegnison made. I'm not saying it's a bad idea necessarily but these would be the problems the devs would have to work around to implement it. 

My point is that different options should be given to players due to the demanding nature of 3d scopes.

3d scopes (which work by having the game render the entire scene twice) are very demanding on a game with maps of this size.

I was thinking that the options available for the scopes would work something like this.

1.) Old fasioned method : Doesn't do anything special,The screen will be blacked out except for what is visible through the scope (for balance purposes). Use this option if you don't like loosing FPS while using scopes.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img607/6766/distance400.jpg

2.)Supersampling method:The game will use supersampling rather than redering the entire scene twice to provide a zoomed image in the scope.

3.)Dual Rendering method: The game will render the entire scene a second time for use wth the 3d scopes. This is the technique used in games like RedOrchestra and Insurgency. This technique is very CPU demanding.

The supersampling only works when you are zoomed mode. When in zoom out mode, as the weapon moves around what you see in the scope will be from your pov, not the weapon's pov. That won't look right.

The supersampling only works when you are zoomed mode. When in zoom out mode, as the weapon moves around what you see in the scope will be from your pov, not the weapon's pov. That won't look right.

Well if you don't have the sight up to your eye all you're going to see is the inside of the scope and/or light refracted from the opposite side anyway, depending on the angle, rather than in certain games where it still has a clear picture of what you'd see looking through it.

Well if you don't have the sight up to your eye all you're going to see is the inside of the scope and/or light refracted from the opposite side anyway, depending on the angle, rather than in certain games where it still has a clear picture of what you'd see looking through it.

True. Actually, now that I think about it, with most scopes you don't see anything until you're in the right "spot" due to the eye relief thingie.