Sign in to follow this  
chaseo2

Can not download game from Steam (missing executable)

I bought the game last night off Steam for $40 and immediately tried to download it. After the game was "successfully" downloaded I went to play it and got an error. The error says "Failed to start game (missing executable)." I have re-downloaded the game several times on different drives (and reinstalled Steam along with it), I have deleted the acf files, ran Steam as an administrator, turned off my Firewall while downloading the game, and verified the game cache. Nothing worked.. I have tried every possible solution several times and I am still unable to play the game.

There is no Squad.exe file or application anywhere on my computer. It does install an icon on my desktop, however. It says the file is 116.8 MB too, is this correct? I can play Arma 3 off of Steam without any problems. I am really angry that I spent $40 on this "amazing" game and I can't even play it. Please help me, I'm open to any suggestions.

Please don't tell me to do anything I have already stated, unless you know for sure it will work.

Same issue as chaseo2. Also tried all the things he stated, including verify game integrity.

The odd thing on my end is that at first install the game executed but got stuck at the vc-redist installation. So I stopped the installation and manually installed vc-redis. This also failed, so I reinstalled the game. That is when the issues started. When reinstalling the game at that point it would not start anymore and state there is no executable. NOTE: in both cases steam said the game was only of size 125Mb and downloaded about 116.8Mb.

It seems to me steam is not downloading all the files from the server, and/or recognizing the full game "repository". However, I have no idea how to fix this

-- SuicidalChair: done all of those things already

Reboot your computer, run steam as administrator, verify the game cache

do all windows updates.

I have done all that, unfortunately. I have windows 10 and I am downloading the latest driver from Nvidia right now for the hell of it. Thank you though

try this,

Open your start menu,
type %localappdata% hit enter
in the explorer window that pops up delete the "Squad" folder

Then go back into steam and re-verify the cache.

try this,

Open your start menu,

type %localappdata% hit enter

in the explorer window that pops up delete the "Squad" folder

Then go back into steam and re-verify the cache.

There is no Squad folder in there.... hmmmmm

hmm I guess because you've never launched the game before lol.
my bad.

maybe try grabbing the trial for revo uninstaller:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

do a deep uninstall to get any reg file associated with squad
then download CCleaner
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

And run that, you may have a messed up registry file somewhere preventing it from installing.

Tried the above. Still not working for me.

BTW: current open access release on steam is not a beta correct? Cause under the Beta tab of the properties window I now have "OPT OUT OF ALL BETA PROGRAMS", below there are several alpha versions to choose from (I tried to select one and download, but no effect)

1. Just one piece of extra info: It seems that 116.8 MB is exactly the size of the third party software that is needed for Squad. And that is indeed the only files available in the Squad folder in steam.

2. Switched download servers (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2152486/having-trouble-downloading-steam-games-its-not-just-you.html), and the download size changed to 129.4MB, but still does not work.

When I try to download it on C: I get an error saying (disk write error) insted of the normal error. Then the download doesn't even finish.

When I try to download it on C: I get an error saying (disk write error) insted of the normal error. Then the download doesn't even finish.

if you trying to save it directly to C: (not a steam library under program files but directly on C:) you will have a bad time, the root of the C: drive is locked down pretty heavily.

If you would like me to remote into your PC and take a peak I would be more then happy to (I understand the trust thing but I thought I'd offer)

Download Teamviewer https://www.teamviewer.com/

install for personal use (free)

then PM me on the forums with your userid and temp password.

Or as a hail marry,

Close steam completely (Right click, exit)

o to C:\Program Files\Steam (your steam installation folder)

And delete the "Appcache" folder

reboot computer

try to launch again

you guys are on windows x64 right?

-- SuicidalChair: I tried your hail marry earlier today. Also no effect :(.

I used team viewer to go into AuSsY's system and they did indeed have x86 and I let them know what was up :P

I feel like this will be the same story for you chase,

open your start menu and click "My Computer" or "Computer" or "This PC" and click "Properties"

See if it says x64 or x86,

I double checked squad requirements and seen it is indeed x64 only.

I used team viewer to go into AuSsY's system and they did indeed have x86 and I let them know what was up :P

I feel like this will be the same story for you chase,

open your start menu and click "My Computer" or "Computer" or "This PC" and click "Properties"

See if it says x64 or x86,

I double checked squad requirements and seen it is indeed x64 only.

my System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64 based-processor

when is the gmae going to be optimized for 32bit operating systems?

Given the specs required to run the game right now (and that 32 bit can't use more then 3GB of RAM, VRAM Included) probably not anytime in the near future.

I'd recommend doing a clean install of 64 bit on a weekend / day off and starting from scratch unfortunately :(

only about 3GB can be used at one time, and that includes your video card VRAM,
So if you have 2GB of RAM and 2GB of VRAM on your video card, you can only use 2GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM with 32 bit windows.

I can take a picture of that exact sentence in my Microsoft text book I used for my windows 8.1 certification exam 2 months ago if you don't believe me ;)