Yrkidding

Thinking Of Making A Suggestion? Read First!

So I've already begun to notice a lot of suggestions that overlap or are duplicates of earlier threads here on the forums and decided to make this post based off a similar post on the old Project Reality Suggestion forum to give first-timers and veterans alike a guide on the thought process you should be using when making a suggestion here on the Squad Forums. Try asking yourself these questions before you post.

I. Has your suggestion already been made?

The game is young yet, but there have already been many suggestions including at least 4 separate threads on A.I. Sicilians and character/weapon customization! Use the Search Function to check whether or not your suggestion has been covered in the Discussion or Suggestion Forums. Here's an easy link for you: http://forums.joinsquad.com/index.php?app=core&module=search

II. Is your suggestion worth the effort to make it a reality?

The developers are working full time to make this a great game and in some cases it would be cool to have a certain feature, but that feature may not really add that much to the game on the whole. Try to really think your suggestion through, get over the "cool factor" and ask yourself whether it is really worth the time and money of the developers to add this feature in. 

III. Is your suggestion already in-game or confirmed to be added to the game in future? 

Your suggestion might pass the first two questions and be a great idea for the game. So great, in fact, that the developers have already instituted it as a feature. Most often this will be the case for things that Project Reality wanted to do but couldn't as a result of limitations with the BF2 engine, but there's also some less talked about features that the developers have already added. When in doubt, use the Search Function linked above!

IV. Does your suggestion fit with the goals that Squad is trying to achieve? 

Remember that squad is a unique game seeking to fill a unique genre, bridging the gap between games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Insurgency with more mil-sim games like the Arma series. At the forefront, this means that Squad is looking to promote teamwork and communication on a large, combined-arms scale with a basis of realism and without room for the run n' gun tactics so prevalent in many modern shooters. Squad is also not based on Special Forces units but instead on the infantry and armoured units commonly seen on the frontlines. Keep this in mind when making your suggestion!

If your suggestion has passed all four of these stages then you're likely good to go, suggest away! If you can, try and make your post well-reasoned, well-explained and with a title that makes it clear what you're suggesting. A one-sentence or poorly-titled post might not get your full point across and undeservedly affect how popular your suggestion is. You should also try to keep the tone of your post suggestive and not demanding, it'll go a long way to getting your voice heard. Please also note that this section is not for bug reports, unless specified. Thank you for reading this guide and spending the time trying to make a worthy contribution to Squad's development.

Quick Links:
Search Function: http://forums.joinsquad.com/index.php?app=core&module=search
Suggesting a faction? Post here: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/123-factions-you-would-like-to-play-as-or-against/
Suggesting a weapon? Post here: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1661-the-weapons-thread/     

Edited by Yrkidding

Morbo513   

This is sorely needed. In fact, new forum members should be redirected to this when attempting to make a thread in these sections.

Nate   
 II. Is your suggestion worth the effort to make it a reality?

haha, most important point! Good summary kidding :)

I think it would be cool to have special forces along with conventional army for example in a future: Russian conventional army and spetsnaz, british sas and conventional army, German  ksk and conventional army, many people enjoy special forces, only an opinion

I think it would be cool to have special forces along with conventional army for example in a future: Russian conventional army and spetsnaz, british sas and conventional army, German ksk and conventional army, many people enjoy special forces, only an opinion

Please read the topic or search all topics related to special forces. There's a reason this suggestion received its "special" guideline.

P.s. see what i did there? Special? No? Ok, i'll go to my corner now.

UTurista   

Maybe another point to add:

"

V. Does your suggestion consists in adding faction/weapon/vehicle/scenario -X- ?

If so refrain yourself from posting, its impossible for any developer team of any game create all assets wished by the community while maintaining the quality standards.

The good news is that mod tools are confirmed, meaning you can create these assets yourself or wait till someone in this community to do it.

"

Updated April 8th:
Added in the "Quick Links" section. (Feel free to put some suggestions for other links here and I'll consider them.)
Added in a sentence reminding people to make a well thought out post, as per ShaunOfCathay's suggestion.

@ Turista, not going to add that one in, just because sometimes people come up with good and original scenarios, weapon suggestions, or vehicles, though with that in mind I added the Faction thread to the Quick Links section. Worst case scenario their suggestion fades in to obscurity if it's not a good one. (I'm using the whole "I'd rather see 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to jail" philosophy for this one.)

blayas   

Also add : Please do not try to suggestions that make the game become casual, unrealistic , fast and stupid .

Hi Blayas, I believe I have that covered in section IV. A good suggestion though.
Hey War, I'm not going to get quite that specific I think :P This is supposed to be very general and cover the most common issues, not necessarily tell people what they can and cannot say, sorry.

Try avoiding the terms :

"It should be like this or that..."

"The Devs have to..."

"Do not do this or that..."

Make a good and bad analysis of your own suggestion, try to explain on what points it could be difficult/useless to implement followed by a BUT to explain the good points, some people tend to see all black or white so showing them the both sides could allow you to dodge some harsh and not needed critics.

Try avoiding the terms :

"The Devs have to..."

Yes, please don't start the titles like this :P It should be a suggestion and not a statement.

Updated April 19th:

In response to:

Try avoiding the terms :

"The Devs have to..."

Make a good and bad analysis of your own suggestion, try to explain on what points it could be difficult/useless to implement followed by a BUT to explain the good points, some people tend to see all black or white so showing them the both sides could allow you to dodge some harsh and not needed critics.

Yes, please don't start the titles like this :P It should be a suggestion and not a statement.

I've added the line: "You should also try to keep the tone of your post suggestive and not demanding, it'll go a long way to getting your voice heard."

Usgu   

The closed pre-alpha is on, guys. The official email with your Commander keys provides the link to the following suggestion report form - a Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MF-2RWV67KgmyBbOpvLpjsTb8Xlj32d9Kd0SvZxD4uk/viewform?c=0&w=1

Please report suggestions through that form, do not post them on the forum.

Bugs are posted via another form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18F-BRzssPiospA_Ymq_iyLajBPlniHJeyx-kwRRJc50/viewform?c=0&w=1

See also here.

Please note, this applies for the closed pre-alpha. We will see what Offworld does when we get to the closed alpha or Early Access.

Updated July 28th: 

In response to:

The closed pre-alpha is on, guys. The official email with your Commander keys provides the link to the following suggestion report form - a Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MF-2RWV67KgmyBbOpvLpjsTb8Xlj32d9Kd0SvZxD4uk/viewform?c=0&w=1

Please report suggestions through that form, do not post them on the forum.

Bugs are posted via another form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18F-BRzssPiospA_Ymq_iyLajBPlniHJeyx-kwRRJc50/viewform?c=0&w=1

See also here.

Please note, this applies for the closed pre-alpha. We will see what Offworld does when we get to the closed alpha or Early Access.

Added the line "Please also note that this section is not for feedback or bug reports." and provided an additional two Quick Links to the Pre-Alpha Feedback and Bug Report Google forms. At the conclusion of the Pre-Alpha the OP will be updated again.