Sign in to follow this  
Cinders

Details about planned vehicles?

Hi!

Glad to see you guys got off the ground.  I'm an old fan of PR.  I've been a realism-to-a-degree fan since DC-R.  ARMA kinda went wonky with the super elaborate controls that don't add up to a better experience and the vehicles are "arcade mode".

So!  My big question, how will you guys implement vehicles?  Will it be like BF3 and BF4 where it's kid-mode, with stupidly easy controls?  Something like ARMA2:PR where they were somewhat complex and required skill?

BF series made it like a roller coaster, trying to get people into them fast, into the fight fast, and dead fast, so the next player could have a turn.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's f'ing boring.  I do miss PR where a tank would sit back on a hill and forward infantry would call out targets.  I really enjoyed how vehicles were valuable assets to the team, where a well run APC, tank, helo, etc. could make a big difference, but could easily be destroyed if they went freelancing.

And if I can get a 2nd question: how will repairs and vehicle damage go?  Will a tire be destroyed and the humvee sits lopsided until repaired?  Will it be the old "wrench for time" animation and a vehicle goes from smoking to 100%?  Will repairs not be in the game?

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm waiting to purchase to see how the vehicles look.  I feel that this aspect of games tell me a lot of about how the devs want the gameplay to go)

Well it's not going to be like an Arcade Shooter for helicopters and vehicles if that's what you mean, it'll be more for the side of trying to keep it realistic rather than all out shooting. In the long run, it'd be more important to keep the vehicles alive than to drive them around and get them destroyed cause Vehicles have tickets too and once they're gone, they're gone.

These videos might give you an impression of what vehicles are like. Keep in mind that it's work in progress and some of these bits are just placeholders.

Vehicles are buggy right now so they are working on them, we should see them shortly. I believe there is a vehicle spawn (Transport only, correct me if im wrong if there is or inst). It shouldnt be complex either, but more than BF. There will be a kit (Guessing), i would be surprised if there isnt a kit to repair vehicles.

I'm 90% sure those videos are from a guy that got later in contact with offworld industries. But i do not think you can assume them to actually be Squad's WIP. Anyway, that's a way vehicles could behave/look like in the UE4 engine.

I'm hoping the gunner and driver are separated in tanks, apcs, etc?

They are trust me  :D

"Vehicles & FOB Weapon Emplacements

Vehicles are the #1 most requested feature, and are our #1 priority now that Early Access is out. They almost made the Early Access launch, but due to a number of bugs and issues, we made the decision to spend another month working on them and bringing them up to the standard of quality that you all expect in Squad."

From Chuc

Well it's not going to be like an Arcade Shooter for helicopters and vehicles if that's what you mean, it'll be more for the side of trying to keep it realistic rather than all out shooting. In the long run, it'd be more important to keep the vehicles alive than to drive them around and get them destroyed cause Vehicles have tickets too and once they're gone, they're gone.

These videos might give you an impression of what vehicles are like. Keep in mind that it's work in progress and some of these bits are just placeholders

Carefull, those were made by tooner only as a POC before he became a dev, and are not going to be ingame

Looking forward to it!

Another thing that this game does is it separates itself from the BF players who just grab vehicles and get them spanked. PR/Squad has roles, and vehicles were used to move slower and meticulously. You requested APC squads to take you into battle/cover you, and sometimes if that resource (Squad) was used else where and you were like "F*** guys, cavalry aint coming, but Commander is redirecting the mortar squad to help us!".

Oh, and the panic when a tank gets spotted!

Looking forward to it!

Another thing that this game does is it separates itself from the BF players who just grab vehicles and get them spanked. PR/Squad has roles, and vehicles were used to move slower and meticulously. You requested APC squads to take you into battle/cover you, and sometimes if that resource (Squad) was used else where and you were like "F*** guys, cavalry aint coming, but Commander is redirecting the mortar squad to help us!".

Oh, and the panic when a tank gets spotted!

Ya, I recall the best time ever was riding in a 5-ton to the front line, hit mines, ambushed on the flank by rifle fire.  The survivors hugged against the side of the truck, calling for help.  An APC rolled up a minute later and scattered the attackers.  We then had to do patrols to keep the APC safe while an engineer was brought up to repair the truck tire so we could resume operations.

My 2nd favorite was the helicopters.  It was fun to learn to fly those difficult beasts and then being able to move troops around with those skills.

I have another question regarding vehicles and I couldn't find anything about it on the forum.
Will there be animations for entering/exiting and mounting HMGs on vehicles or will it be BF style where you just press "E" to mount up and drive away? I would love to see some animations, 2-3 sec animation to get in or out of a Humvee would be really cool.

m939_1.jpg
mtlb_1.jpg

@Quacken it's been discussed quite a lot :) I don't think it will happen as it takes a long time to make animations that look good for every vehicle in game. Not considering you also have to netcode the animations :) I'd rather see time spent on making a new map or a new faction than an animation for entering a truck