Olicarnage

Minimap, map icons, compass, show wounded members and squad state

Thank you for your response  ^_^

Find wounded people only with squad radio or in local leads to a very high number of give up. How can you tell to a medic who is not in your squad 50 meters away from you to revive you ? You basically isolate the job of the medic to your squad only or the teammates fallen at his feet. You think the squad leader will bother checking his map to see in which squad is the medic nearby you and contact his squad leader everytime it happens ?

This system works very well in PR, I don't know why it would deteriorate the teamplay.

The thing that leads to a high number of give ups is the lack of patience which some players have. The medics should look after there squad first before performing revivals on other squads, a medic is only limited to a number of bandages and your squad is priority one.

Word of mouth is a way to have a medic come and treat you if it's a closed space or town, by using local chat you can advice you require help. It all depends who you play with and how other medics play, everyone is different. If you want to help everyone on the map then it's not going to work with only the limited number of bandages you have unless you constantly resupply.

When your down, keep your map open to view other team medics around you, they have the black dot which I'm sure you know of.

I agree for the medic icon for the sake of gameplay. But I really don't like the minimap idea. The less hud the better.

I remeber when they first show off Rainbow six siege. The first teaser video had no hud and was amazing. Then, when the real gameplay came in, the freaking game look like a korean mmorpg. So many things on the screen you can't even see your gun;. That was a big let down for me.

Rather than have names next to the icon, lets be honest some names are way too long, others simply unpronounceable ( even on a good day ), I would suggest having a number for each man in the squad. It would allow everyone to quickly call out to the medic that they had been hit, the medic can look at the map find where that number is and start heading that way. It would also massively help squad leaders give orders to other squad members, i.e.

Squad leader ( being no.1 ) - "2 and 4, cover the doorway at E2" or "3, you have enemy NE of your posistion".

Rather than at the SL having to look at the map, hover over to get their names then stare at the map for about 2 minutes, trying to work out how to prononce your name! Dont believe me?... I just copy and pasted these from the forum name list..Try saying most of them in a hurry!

PzRSpeRRe, Qasiermo, Qm1.Coste, Quacken, Quantico, Quingen, Quinzo, r0tzbua, R3DCLAW, r3volution, Rabbit, Radikaali, Rafael.Capri, rage, Raidmaxxx, Rainmaker, RaJaN, Raklödder

I got a friend who plays medic and He does it so awesome. check his twitch channel if you want maybe?

http://twitch.tv/Zimm_Macugz

He plays combat medic all the time, sticks to his squad,  keeps listening to the radio and local voice and plays the medic role real good

No mini map for me. However I would like to see injured team mates shown on the main map. SLs are easy to find but their map icon stays green. If the team map icons changed to yellow when injured for example i'd get their bearing and head off to find them and use the compass icon to home in when closer.

Some players take a hit and soldier on after patching themselves. The medic can then actively seek them out to perform a heal if they're show to be injured on the map.

Maybe the map icon for injured players could fade from green to red to show level of injury like the heal icon does when healing (although it's red to green). You could then prioritise more injured team mates before the die.

TBH I play medic and that's all and the way it is at the moment works extremely well. 

When we start a game the squad leader manages the squad, the medics manage the ability to spawn, in as much as nobody re spawns without permission, that is when both medics are down and there are no medics in the near vicinity or a spawn able place for the medic to span and then attend.

The way that this forces communication works well within a squad and its one of the first things we teach new players... a case in point being a game played today where the difference was one ticket.  People realise how important it is not to give up.

If another team member needs a medic who is say 50 meters away then he asks his squad leader to ask another squad who asks their medic to assist if they can....... and they do.  Again, communication is the key.

The current map system works fine, each downed person states 'man down' or 'medic' and then gives a grid reference using the one on the map and the keypad, once you are close enough you can see them.

So far this has worked very well and everybody co-operates its just a matter of education I think and familiarity, its not easy but you get used to it rather than pining for bits from other games even PR, if it remained as it is and doesn't change I for one would be more than happy.

Who talked about displaying ennemy players on the minimap ? I've just talked about an OPTIONAL minimap to have a quick understand of our close surrounding, like a compound, and see where are the entrances, where are posted our squadmembers, etc, without the need to open the big map and scroll the hell out of the mouse to have a zoom on that area. But hey it's only a suggestion. PR doesn't have it (anymore) and I'm fine with it.

Squad should stay on the line between a military simulation and a game. PR does it quite right. For example, I'm not a big fan of not being able to pick up the kit of a medic to revive him when the rest of the squad went OK during the battle. He is forced to give up and respawn far away from the squad (since spawnpoints cannot be placed near frontline) and if other members are killed, they can all give up too, wich spread out the Squad. I know, picking a medic kit is not possible in reality but it's a good thing to maintain the squad cohesion. With this kind of situation, medics must stay away from any firefight because if they are down, it's over. As a result, playing as medic it's not interesting anymore. But again, it's my opinion, some people like that.

I don't see why some features must be banished from Squad because this is present in a game you don't like. If it's practical and it could help the player to enhance his teamwork, why not talk about it ? You can surely make a step forward into a "battle duty modern warfare premium elite", but you can also make a step forward into a rigid military simulation.

Optional.. minimap? I just don't see the issue with opening the map at times.. all of the information you see is present in the game world already. Optional or not, it would be an unnecessary distraction - isn't the compass displaying squad members enough? Like, slow down and adapt (and I'm not aiming this at you personally)... use the map when you're in cover to plan your next move. That's the whole beauty of it, adding a minimap would make people have the ability to do this stuff on the fly which would essentially change the pace of the game.

That's fair enough. Personally I like both and don't have a real preference.. I just feel like not being able to pick up the kit reinforces the fact that you're playing as a soldier that's been trained in a role instead of a "kit" and that it keeps the pace of the game a little slower. By that I mean, people are trying to be a little more careful. There's still a lot of guys that just dive out there when they play as a medic though. I've always played as a Medic in most games, that shit was my jam in PR, BFBC2, BF3, BF4, ARMA and some more.. you're not forced to stay away you just need to be able to judge the direction of contact and take cover. Utilizing hard cover and popping off a few shots at a time, possibly displacing from that position, is seriously effective. Spotting targets and incoming fire is fairly quick in Squad, but it's not instant. Making yourself a smaller target and popping in and out of cover really makes it difficult for people to pinpoint you, so it's possible to fight as a Medic.. it's what I try to do. Ahh but yes, the Medic is a pretty important guy to try to protect and keep alive, otherwise your Squad risks falling apart.

No. No, no no. It's not about me not liking the games - give me any title, I love them and have played the shit out of them over the years with the exception of Counter Strike. I'm not literally saying these features have to be banished or threatening to spit my dummy out if they get in, I'm simply putting forward an argument against them for the sake of having more than one opinion / view on the thread with a little bit of reasoning and explanation behind it. I've explained it in a thread before, but I'm not saying Squad has to be a military simulator. If I want one I'll just go fish out a dodgy copy of VBS.

Minimap (in whatever capacity) - Promotes gameplay on an individual level. Players will be less inclined to communicate between each other, whether that's for telling them their location, where a doorway is, how many squad members are around - etc. It won't completely stop communication, but it will definitely hamper the levels of them. Sure, it might aid players for situational awareness.. but everything you need is in front of you in the game world anyway. The game isn't that fast paced to require a minimap.

Icons for Medic - Yes, they could essentially make a Medic's job much easier but again, it takes away the hard aspect of the game. The need to be aware of more than just a firefight or where the enemy is, a Medic should have to have the responsibility of keeping eyes and ears out for wounded team members and making sure they relax a little bit and not be the point man. I can't confirm it, but wasn't dragging mentioned before? I would usually just stick a Medic with a Squad Leader a little bit further away, right now it's not as practical but if dragging would be a feature it would make it a perfect combo. A Medic doesn't have to risk his life to sprint out and revive someone in the middle of a firefight and the Squad Leader can be a few m's behind checking the map, communicating with the squad net and command net and most of all, concentrate on the bigger picture.

Again, I'm not banishing ideas. I'm simply being "that guy".

Basically OP - the less HUD the better, so no minimap because it's not realistic, but you 100% have to open a big ass map all over your screen every 5s which displays all friendlies. Forget about formations, better squad awareness and cohesion when playing with random people. A small STHUD style radar could help with that, but people don't want it because reasons.

For me its a no ,one of the skills of been a good medic is concentrating and having good communication with the rest of your squad and having a HUD will kill that in my opinion.

For me i just::

- Tell my squad im there medic for the round so they know who to call and not just medic medic medic,which can get frustrating.

- Recognize your team mates voices with there names

- Check out your team mates classes, this will give you a better understand on where they could be on the map when been injured or killed

- Stay at the back so you can see who is where and doing what

- Tell your injured party to use local coms to try and get a better idea on there position on where they could be.

And i am sure there are plenty of more great tips from other medics here,but remember practise makes perfect and there will still be times when your pulling hair out but just take deep breaths :D

For me, at least, a big part of the game is the communication. The coordination in and between teams is what makes this game unique and interesting to play. It you start adding huds and helpers to roles you start removing the need to communicate and you end up with a clone of <insert any FPS here>.

As a squad you ought to know (roughly) where all the members are - if there are individuals wandering off around the map then that's bad teamwork and should have a penalty, rather than trying to fix it with items on the hud, it should be a nuisance.

If your squad has all its medics down, then the squad leader can always ask a nearby squad for help. If there are no nearby squads or the communication fails then its right that more deaths occur and more tickets are lost - teams should be punished for poor teamwork and strategies.

I do however, understand some of the frustration, as there are plenty of servers out there where you join a squad and the only person you hear speaking is yourself. I think the solution to that though, is to either take control and get them talking, or find a different server.

Sham.

There are so many new players to the proper team play / communication style this game requires it will take time for people to get used to it. I include myself in that description. After year of stalking my enemies,, remaining quiet, as a lone wolf like you do in so many other games it's a big learning curve to adapt and take in the game as a whole. It's a challenge but so far the SL I've played along with have been varied, no doubt to a combinations of genre vets and new guys. It will get better I am sure as us noobs learn the importance and how/when to communicate.

no please don't make it like another one of them call of duty minimap run-n-gun shooters stay real to the genera and project reality do not i repeat do not add a minimap do not

I think it's kind of narrow minded to be blocked on the idea that adding a minimap will change the game into a fast paced shooter. Read my few lines in the thread to understand how I see the minimap concept, it's different from, since you quote this game, the COD one by far. I see it as a tool to have a better squad organisation. Like the Squad Radar concept wich I like too. Assifuah gave a detailed argumentation on why he wouldn't like to see the minimap I describe available in the game, wich is great and productive. Your comment, on the other hand, is very small minded and should be avoided.

On 2015-12-16 at 9:47 PM, Quacken said:

I would like to see all squadmembers names displayed around their green dot on the map.

That would just be confusing, but I would like an objective marker on my compass like in pr (not that i need one since i always look on my map) but for the casual players who can't find their way around with a map.

If Commander gets some kind of radar or UAV ....wouldnt he or couldnt he make enemy locations show up on your hud somewhere?

Hmm names on the map, that would make the map a little busy. Maybe a small number in the green dot corresponding to their number in the squad list would help.

2 more ideas (cant see wether anyone said it before ; if yes, forget that) :

-Use same key to open spawn screen and to close it (still using Enter or not ; I mean : Tab is my Spawn Screen key, Tab should open it or close it ; using Enter could close it too)

-Ability to speak on channels when spawn screen is up ; when you're looking for you squad mates names to prepare a strategy, not having to open/close spawn screen each time looking for their names would be helpful.

Thanks devs keep doing great job.

... 4. Show wounded team members on the map for medics

So it's easier to find wounded people and revive them. ...

Im with you. imo its important to be able to differ "incapacitated" teammates from mates, who just stand still. Not only for medics, all classes should get the information on the map!

Especially when i'm "incapacitated" for myself, often i have to decide to spawn on a RP or not.

It could be so comfortable to see, whether an area is lost or not instead of asking over and over again "is someone alive out there?"

It would be nice to see dots of wounded mates in a darker color then mates who are in a normal state.

2 more ideas (cant see wether anyone said it before ; if yes, forget that) :

-Use same key to open spawn screen and to close it (still using Enter or not ; I mean : Tab is my Spawn Screen key, Tab should open it or close it ; using Enter could close it too)

-Ability to speak on channels when spawn screen is up ; when you're looking for you squad mates names to prepare a strategy, not having to open/close spawn screen each time looking for their names would be helpful.

Thanks devs keep doing great job.

1. Known issue
  2. You can, but you have to click off the map. Also, a known bug.

1. Known issue
  2. You can, but you have to click off the map. Also, a known bug.

1. For me it wasnt an issue, only an improvement, but ok !

2. Copy, will try !

TY

The map at the moment is just fine , no minimap thank you and  its unrealistic , in combat the only person your see looking at maps are squad leaders . 

i still would like too see a icon next to player when they speak ,in the  bottom left . 

Also when some one needs a medic an red icon should appear by the compass , so that you can follow . what you think . 

Edited by Con3para

On 7/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, Phadthai said:

Tiny name tags above squad members's icon on map would be nice.

+10

Or to avoid constant alteration and surcharge of the map, bind a key to toggle between names appearing above team members or not.