NEWater

Autorifleman role is not effective enough to be worth picking.

I've had 15 hours under my belt with this game so far and my observation has been such that among experienced players, when it comes to heavy/support weapons the kits taken are almost always Grenadier and RPG. Autorifleman was consistently passed over and the reasons were clear enough:

1. The suppression effect in the game isn't so scary, and it results in the AR not being feared at all.
  2. AR role only has 2 mags of 100 rounds each.
  3. In comparison to all other roles with rifles, they have 6 mags of 30 rounds each
  4. Grenadier and RPG classes have just 20 rounds of ammo less than the AR, and they get to have Michael Bay explosions.

This leaves the AR guy in a rather pitiful state. It won't take long for an AR delivering suppressive fire to run out of ammunition, and once it's done the AR guy is basically useless with just a pistol. If the Grenadier or RPG guys expend their explosives they're still combat effective with their rifles. 

So, wat do?

Possible solutions:

• Turn up the suppression effect for just the AR weapon and make it so scary that players on the receiving end scramble for cover right away
  • Give the AR guy 5 magazines total.
  • Provide AR roles with alternative weapons of higher caliber. NATO factions get the M240B/GPMG/7.62mm equivalent; Soviet weapon factions get a PKM/PKP alternative. They fire slower, recoil kicks like a mule on cocaine but the suppression effect is well worth the tradeoff. 

Just came from a match, played AR during the entire round. You dont know what you are talking about. I'm engaging people at 20-30m they cant return fire properly, they panic, and they die. I'd say if we get 15-25% more supression at medium to long range we are set.

i think we don't need more suppression as its unrealistic but i can understand for gameplay wise it has to be added for some people and i think that currently the amont of supression is enough.

the AR has lots of recoil but if you lay down you'll have less sway and recoil because of the bipod ( no animation yet but affects recoil and sway ). If you burst 3-5 bullets toward the enemy, it will be close enough to scare them and even wound/kill them. Don't forget in squad you kill in less than 3 bullets up to 300ish meters.

Also there will be an alternative kit for AR with HMG such as the m240m; GPMG, currenty only the AR LMG is implemented

I like the suppresion thing, like NanoAgeWarrior, enemies can't stay up when you engage with AR, but I agree about ammo, sometime I'm out of ammo after 3/4 min because of heavy fire but having more mag to the AR is not the solution I think. Sometime I see ARs shooting an entire mag in 3/4  seconds, suppressing fire doesn't mean shooting like a goat.
About higher caliber, it seems not good. M240 is heavier and not able to shoot when crouch. Actually USMC (I don't know about US Army) is replacing M249 by M27 IAR for a lot of reasons.

My opinion is that an infantry squad need to be able to move easily, sometime M249 is slowing down the squad so with a heavier weapon it will be worst.

100 rounds magazine means 4 reloads less than other kits, and that, from my point of view, means a more constant/effective capacity of suppression on enemy position.

Anyway there's space for general improvement and i'm looking forward to the dev hoping they'll introduce the ability of using the bipod also when crouching or standing close to low walls, boxes, etc. =)

I've had 15 hours under my belt with this game so far and my observation has been such that among experienced players, when it comes to heavy/support weapons the kits taken are almost always Grenadier and RPG. Autorifleman was consistently passed over and the reasons were clear enough:

• The suppression effect in the game isn't so scary, and it results in the AR not being feared at all.
  • AR role only has 2 mags of 100 rounds each.
  • In comparison to all other roles with rifles, they have 6 mags of 30 rounds each
  • Grenadier and RPG classes have just 20 rounds of ammo less than the AR, and they get to have Michael Bay explosions.
This leaves the AR guy in a rather pitiful state. It won't take long for an AR delivering suppressive fire to run out of ammunition, and once it's done the AR guy is basically useless with just a pistol. If the Grenadier or RPG guys expend their explosives they're still combat effective with their rifles. 

So, wat do?

Possible solutions:

• Turn up the suppression effect for just the AR weapon and make it so scary that players on the receiving end scramble for cover right away
  • Give the AR guy 5 magazines total.
  • Provide AR roles with alternative weapons of higher caliber. NATO factions get the M240B/GPMG/7.62mm equivalent; Soviet weapon factions get a PKM/PKP alternative. They fire slower, recoil kicks like a mule on cocaine but the suppression effect is well worth the tradeoff. 
I agree that Mg kits need more ammo. It would make people more willing to do what the are supposed to do.. SUPPRESS! Is say 3-4 mags would be good for my class. Also, yes can't wait for m240 and pkm to be an option as well. And the devs said more suppression effects will come as well like camera shake!!

You guys are looking at this wrong, rifleman in the future will be able to carry ammo for MGs, another teamwork incentive.Logistics arent even in yet also, just give it time.

You guys are looking at this wrong, rifleman in the future will be able to carry ammo for MGs, another teamwork incentive.Logistics arent even in yet also, just give it time.

You're right, it will be a big feature for sure.

Personally as a huge fan of the RPK. I would like MORE suppression effect on the enemy. We are not here for the kills but to suppress and spread the enemy out. aka supress while your team runs across an open field. A tad less recoil would also not go a miss making this class more effective and used more often. Will get round casings and the round attachers ejecting as well in future?

Being able to use cars, walls ect to support the weapon would also be great, as grass everywhere makes it difficult to find a good prone position.

100 rounds magazine means 4 reloads less than other kits, and that, from my point of view, means a more constant/effective capacity of suppression on enemy position.

Anyway there's space for general improvement and i'm looking forward to the dev hoping they'll introduce the ability of using the bipod also when crouching or standing close to low walls, boxes, etc. =)

The devs have been looking into the Battlefield style of a 'soft lock' cover system, which is very fluid and easy to use/understand.

Soft lock what's that Iron? like the system in PR? where cars and walls, ledges are usable?

in BF4 you are essentially given a very subtle physical movement of your rifle that hints you to the fact that the game will allow you to peek around whatever cover you may be behind by simply ADS'ing. 

A well coordinated team will have FOB's with ammo crates dispersed over the map. Find your way to an ammo crate and resupply your ammo boxes. If you are away from the ammo crates, conserve ammo accordingly.

Remember the SAW gunner mantra....."Die-muther-fucker-die" :)

in BF4 you are essentially given a very subtle physical movement of your rifle that hints you to the fact that the game will allow you to peek around whatever cover you may be behind by simply ADS'ing. 

Oh god no!!! I want to decide my self not have it forced on me.

Well don't assume they're going to replicate this model 1:1.

I simply said that they're looking into it; potential starting point, inspiration, etc.

Lots of other games out there with notable lean mechanics they're probably looking at too.

What will this system force you to? Not to zoom your scope into wall in front of you? 

All of this has been addressed several times over, please search for inventory systems, ammo sharing, weapon resting, suppression updates, we've covered all this.

It's not done yet, but I get where some of you are coming from, in due time.