I've been pondering for some time about the numerous amounts of features that the ACE mod brought to ARMA 2 (hopefully 3 as well) and I remembered it had some cool assets available to use. Talking features, we had fast roping, vehicle towing, proper crew served weaponry which could be man-portable (possible a 2 person kit like sniper teams? *wink* *wink*). It also had certain items like the A.P.O.B.S mine disposal system, minesweepers, incendiary grenades, remote detonated and tripwire mines like claymores, etc. All kinds of cool stuff!

I definitely think Squad could benefit from these, personally the idea of a support crew served weaponry team that could move around the battlefield and deploy HMG's (obviously being limited and not being able to have as much ammo as a FOB deployable HMG) as they were restricted to FOB placements. Hell Chechen rebels have been known to carry DShkm's by themselves (insurgent specialty?). More roles would be open and more tactical options given to the players. As for features like vehicle towing it means logistics squads could be set up rather than just fully repairing a vehicle having to properly RTB. Fast roping for certain LZ's which would give a really damn cool experience (could just work like the grappling hook?). The new types of equipment like minesweepers make the engineer role come to life and be exciting and being able to place little mine marker flags like the insurgents did with rocks in PR.

Considering the engine already supports basic physics the sling loading shouldn't too out of the way, and I recall seeing a post which someone discussed minesweepers and one of you DEVies supported the idea. Crew Served Weaponry (CSW) might be a tricky task just kitting it right maybe making it a 3 man role, e.g. gunner which carries the HMG itself, then a guy to carry a tripod and the last the ammo.

But anyway, just some ideas I have been thinking about the past few hours.

I've been pondering for some time about the numerous amounts of features that the ACE mod brought to ARMA 2 (hopefully 3 as well) and I remembered it had some cool assets available to use. Talking features, we had fast roping, vehicle towing, proper crew served weaponry which could be man-portable (possible a 2 person kit like sniper teams? *wink* *wink*). It also had certain items like the A.P.O.B.S mine disposal system, minesweepers, incendiary grenades, remote detonated and tripwire mines like claymores, etc. All kinds of cool stuff!

I definitely think Squad could benefit from these, personally the idea of a support crew served weaponry team that could move around the battlefield and deploy HMG's (obviously being limited and not being able to have as much ammo as a FOB deployable HMG) as they were restricted to FOB placements. Hell Chechen rebels have been known to carry DShkm's by themselves (insurgent specialty?). More roles would be open and more tactical options given to the players. As for features like vehicle towing it means logistics squads could be set up rather than just fully repairing a vehicle having to properly RTB. Fast roping for certain LZ's which would give a really damn cool experience (could just work like the grappling hook?). The new types of equipment like minesweepers make the engineer role come to life and be exciting and being able to place little mine marker flags like the insurgents did with rocks in PR.

Considering the engine already supports basic physics the sling loading shouldn't too out of the way, and I recall seeing a post which someone discussed minesweepers and one of you DEVies supported the idea. Crew Served Weaponry (CSW) might be a tricky task just kitting it right maybe making it a 3 man role, e.g. gunner which carries the HMG itself, then a guy to carry a tripod and the last the ammo.

But anyway, just some ideas I have been thinking about the past few hours.

yea i pretty much agree except that i think a crew served weapon thats carried by the grunts (as opposed to a truck or something) should not be a heavy weapon like an hmg, auto-grenade launchers, atgm, mortars etc. medium weapons though i think would be better (like 7.62 mgs like the PKM). if it were to be a heavy weapon, then i imagine more than 2 grunts would be required, like 4 or more i think. sticking with the hmg example, i imagine one guy carries the weapon itself, another guy carries the tripod, and at least 2 more guys to carry ammo. but still, i cant imagine a grunt being combat effective carrying an hmg and his rifle, at least not irl. i dont know though, i have no military experience, i just shoot combat rifles. 

maybe a military advisor can give some info in favor or against crew served/portable heavy weapons.im pretty sure though Squad will have crew server/man portable medium weapons.

oh, as for the Chechen rebels carrying an hmg and his AK (as in he is a fighter, not just a logistics carrying person), well id like to see a source. 

CSWs would be nice instead of just magicking an HMG nest out of the ground. Stuff like fast-ropes, sling-loading etc, I don't really see the point. Never had a legitimate reason to use fast-ropes over simply landing the aircraft.

yea i pretty much agree except that i think a crew served weapon thats carried by the grunts (as opposed to a truck or something) should not be a heavy weapon like an hmg, auto-grenade launchers, atgm, mortars etc. medium weapons though i think would be better (like 7.62 mgs like the PKM). if it were to be a heavy weapon, then i imagine more than 2 grunts would be required, like 4 or more i think. sticking with the hmg example, i imagine one guy carries the weapon itself, another guy carries the tripod, and at least 2 more guys to carry ammo. but still, i cant imagine a grunt being combat effective carrying an hmg and his rifle, at least not irl. i dont know though, i have no military experience, i just shoot combat rifles. 

maybe a military advisor can give some info in favor or against crew served/portable heavy weapons.im pretty sure though Squad will have crew server/man portable medium weapons.

An LMG like a PKM would barely qualify as a crew-served weapon, unless it's to be mounted on a tripod. 

CSWs would be nice instead of just magicking an HMG nest out of the ground. Stuff like fast-ropes, sling-loading etc, I don't really see the point. Never had a legitimate reason to use fast-ropes over simply landing the aircraft.

An LMG like a PKM would barely qualify as a crew-served weapon, unless it's to be mounted on a tripod. 

i believe PKM is a medium mg, similar to the gpmg and m240, a light mg would be like a m249 or rpk. and yea, with a tripod and ammo and or barrel carrier person in addition to the gunner. hmgs are super heavy by the looks of it, lol, cant imagine carrying that on the battlefield and fighting with it or your AK/M4/M16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyDYb-wkUd4

Well the definition of an LMG is a machine-gun that can be used by a single person, MMGs are a subcategory of that being an MG that fires a full-size round. Generally L/MMGs are rarely used on tripods. 

As an example, the M2 with tripod is 60kg which in addition to its ammo would be relatively easily divided between a 3-4 man gun crew. I doubt they'd be carrying much else bar the essentials.

hmm, ive known a light mg to be an mg that fires "assault rifle" ammo like 5.56 and 7.62x39 while the medium mg fires "battle rifle" ammo (full sized as u said) like 7.62x51 of NATO and 7.62x54 of Russia. probably splitting hairs now.

idk, i still think heavy machine guns (like the M2 or the Kord/Dshk) are too cumbersome to be carried around on the battle field and have the carrier still be combat effective. i mean cmon, look at these videos, those things are huge, too beast for a man in combat. i just cant imagine a grunt carrying around one of those and still using their rifle effectively, or running for that matter. a tripod for it, sure, and the ammo wouldnt be so difficult. but a 12.7 hmg, i dont think so, at least not for a infantryman/fighter in a war zone.

(edit) now that i think of it though, maybe a light mortar crew would work. i know there are mortarmen in the USMC

No, of course there should still be the LMG's for Automatic Rifleman, the MMG's for the Machinegunners but being able to make a support or weapons squad which could hand transport bigger weaponry as they would in real life would be great. I agree, plonking down an MG nest is just an immersion killer and having to deploy a FOB just to place an HMG or whatever will inherently anger leaders especially if there are limits (or restrictions being too close, etc.)

*edit*

Also, the actually units required for a multi-role asset like CSW's could just carry barely anything and be entirely hindered by the weapon parts they carry. I guess that (hate to use the word) 'balances' gameplay.

Well, I've been carrying that damn HMG in FDF training and it really is something you wouldn't be able to carry and stay combat efficient at the same time.

The thing weights alot even when disassembled.

I'd prefer having machine gun crates in addition to supply crates.

Maybe they could be loaded into humvees?