Poita

Key config issues

I just bought Squad on Steam and have been putting it through its paces.

I usually like to push my keyboard to the left and use a cluster of keys around the arrow keys (which I use for movement). 

However, I'm having problems mapping actions to some keys. I use left ctrl to lean left and Keypad 0/ins to lean right but the game won't let me map the right lean to that key. 

I also mapped the weapons/items to the number keypad and that won't take either. 

Any thoughts?

it will be difficult at first but i STRONGLY recommend switching over to using asdw for moving. that will solve your problem

No, I've been using the arrow keys for over twenty years. 

Are you saying they key configs dont work?

I've the same problem mate, just 2 day ago i've posted and Royawesome, a DEV, have answer me that the arrow key are linked to the turning movement and he know that is an issue.So in the near future we will be able to use the arrow key. Untill then you can change the confing on the cinfig.ini file or use the wasd for a little time.

I trust on them, we can only give them some time to work.

Here is the answer http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/7436-closed-alpha-version-3/?p=126898

This was fixed in 3.5.  Is it still happening?

No problem with Arrow Keys as far as I know. The issue seems to be that the game is holding on to the old .ini files however. We had to manually delete two.

steamapps\common\squad\squad\config\Defaultinput.iniC:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini

Re-binding numpad keys however, at least num-0, does not work still it seems.

On yesterday i had the same problem.

In the afternoon i will try the guide that unfrail have posted and i'll report the results. Btw thank ufrail ^_^

Edit: wich .ini file i must delete unfrail?

Havent checked since the last update but i also use arrow keys for movement, \Steam\SteamApps\common\Squad\Squad\Config, file you looking for is DefaultInput.ini

I had to set a few keys in there as the game wouldent take my arrow keys, but as stated above, shouldent this be fixed now?

On yesterday i had the same problem.

In the afternoon i will try the guide that unfrail have posted and i'll report the results. Btw thank ufrail ^_^

Edit: wich .ini file i must delete unfrail?

Delete both of these ini files. They are files that contain your settings, so you may (will) have to redo all your key binds.

This one is in a hidden directory, so you must go to your Folder Options and enable hidden files and folders to see the AppData folder.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini

Best just cut and paste them into a backup folder on your desktop instead of deleting, incase you grab the wrong file or something unexpected happens. Its a good practice when modifying files in system or game directories. Removing them to a desktop folder should achieve the same effect. Once you have done so then launch the game and adjust the keybinds as normal.

I had to set a few keys in there as the game wouldent take my arrow keys, but as stated above, shouldent this be fixed now?

It is, however the old ini files seem to over-ride the ability to make the changes. idk. :huh:

I've delete both the .ini files but if i do i cannot linked any key for the movement, either "W A S D". No key seems to be possible to attach. So is not working. After re-take those file all being at normal, " W A S D" is working but not the Arrow keys.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to  post, but I have another "weird" problem with keyboard bindings; when I switch from rifle item ("1" button on the keyboard) for example to the smoke grenades ("4") or patch ("5") I can't switch back to rifle by pressing "1"; the game let me only cycle through the items from "2" to "6", this means I can select the pistol, grenades, smoke grenades, medic kit/patch, shovel... but not going back to the rifle. Seems like the rifle is out of the item's menu / keybindings.

It happened several times on different servers, and I have also a video record of this, still I can't find a way to reproduce it. Any idea idea or suggestions ?

it will be difficult at first but i STRONGLY recommend switching over to using asdw for moving. that will solve your problem

this won't work for most people. i am lefthanded and being told my whole life to switch to the right hand, be it writing, gaming or playing guitar,

which is just not that simple and it also has nothing to do with "being accustomed" to it.

Ok after a lot of time and searching i've finnaly solved my issue:

I've serched

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini  and in this Input.ini i've changing the TurnRate key assigned to Left and Right Arrow to other keys. Now i can properly use those arrow to move Left and Right and now the game become more beatiful to me! :D :lol: