Sign in to follow this  
Suade

Help me understand.

First I wanted to say I just DL the game and have played for like 10-20 minutes so I'm as noob as they come. The game feels awesome, I compare it to Arma 3 and Squad just seems better so good job to the devs on making a great game.

So anyhow I joined my first game and joined a squad. I see there are classes with limited availability. I find myself in a large field with huts and wooded surroundings. I see some enemies and I'm ready to pull off some epic head shots but only I don't have a scope. Started asking the squad and it seems I can't have a scope. Very frustrating.

I'm looking to confirm is that just how it is? All maps and game modes? Only 1 or 2 guys get to have a scope?

I'm hoping the answer is no and I'm just a noob.

If not I can't see myself being able to play without a scope. I play a lot of shooters and all of them have scopes and I just can't understand the logic.

??????

Yes, there are a limited number of kits that have scoped weapons. This comes out to like 3-4 kits per Squad of 9 players. The logic is that it doesn't make sense for everyone in a squad to have long range weapons because not all engagements occur at long range. Most occur at medium or close range. This somewhat reflect real life loadouts as well. If everyone had 8x scopes, your squad would be screwed in close quarters battles (CQB). As such, you need a squad that is balanced and prepared for all types of engagements.

As of now only US side has scopes on some of the AR's, while Russian and Yalalala! side LOL scopes are only to be found if u take the sniper role.

Marksman.

But yea there is an Aimpoint option for the US aswell as an option for ACOG (Only two guys), should be good enough if you're not trying to be Vassili Zaitsev...

Marksman.

But yea there is an Aimpoint option for the US aswell as an option for ACOG (Only two guys), should be good enough if you're not trying to be Vassili Zaitsev...

But I think I would like to be like Vassili Zaitsev.

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to make sure I am on a US team. Idk man, If I have an M4 I would like a mid range scope, even if I need to move in close. I guess I can see the "logic" but I can't say that I agree with it. I feel a game like this needs scopes. I will give it a shot however first experience leaves a bad taste.

Not everyone gets a scope, no.

The game tries to have things a bit more similar to how it might be for a real life faction with regards to the scopes.

- Insurgents and militias might have scopes more rarely (i.e. a marksman would get one, but other classes won't)

- The Russian army has scopes in the making -- right now they're just not ready to be released into the public build of the game (other than I think the marksman rifle).

- US Army gets red dot sights (there's only a few classes that don't have them right now if I recall correctly; right now only a few people per squad can have ACOG scopes -- I figure this could change in the future, but for now it wouldn't be a lot of fun if EVERYONE on the US side has magnifying scopes when other factions do not have scopes or other gadgets in the game yet.

But even once there's more scopes (both magnifying and not) in the game, you won't always have one depending on what team you're playing as!

Edit: my comment was a bit late to the punch.

Please don't be that guy that just plays/team swap to the US faction. Squad is designed to have asymmetric warfare so you would be doing yourself no favours and missing out huge gameplay elements other factions have to offer

Is there any other info on this? Have the devs mentioned anything about what the future will bring?

As of right now I'm considering requesting a refund and thinking while it's a great game, without being able to have a scope whenever I please, this game is just not for me.

Is a shame that one little thing prevents me from enjoying the game but it is what it is.

I'm going to search here and play a bit more to give it a fair chance but if anyone has any info or links to other discussions, please post.

Your question has been answered.

Insurgents dont use scoped weapons

Russians will get scopes in the future.

I do agree though, if you're wanting to play a certain class, with a certain weapon, all the time. This game is not for you. We are talking about a game that is trying to bring real world forces (with their real-world weaponry) together in battle. Unfortunately, that means you can't just go and get a Barrett .50 cal. 

Your question has been answered.

Insurgents dont use scoped weapons

Russians will get scopes in the future.

I do agree though, if you're wanting to play a certain class, with a certain weapon, all the time. This game is not for you. We are talking about a game that is trying to bring real world forces (with their real-world weaponry) together in battle. Unfortunately, that means you can't just go and get a Barrett .50 cal.

I'm not nor was I ever in the military. However I have a Chinese AK47. It does have a scope on it. My friend has an Ar platform, he has a scope on his as well.

Neither of our guns are .50

I also know a guy with a long barrel pistol that has a scope on it. Doesn't have to shoot .50's to have a scope.

I'm just looking to know if this is going to change in the future. From a dev.

If not, I'll play my 1 hour and 50 minutes to try and adapt and enjoy. But if I can't then I'll request a refund.

I'm just one guy, I'm sure there are others like me but I'm also sure the devs won't care about our $30 or whatever. There will be plenty of people who won't care and can play a game with XL maps and no scopes. That's great but not for me.

I'm not nor was I ever in the military. However I have a Chinese AK47. It does have a scope on it. My friend has an Ar platform, he has a scope on his as well.

I also know a guy with a long barrel pistol that has a scope on it. Doesn't have to shoot .50's to have a scope.

If not, I'll play my 1 hour and 50 minutes to try and adapt and enjoy. But if I can't then I'll request a refund.

I'm just one guy, I'm sure there are others like me but I'm also sure the devs won't care about our $30 or whatever. There will be plenty of people who won't care and can play a game with XL maps and no scopes. That's great but not for me.

but the people in the military factions the game portrays may not necessarily have scopes, so therefore the game will not have scopes for that faction. as you said you will just have to keep trying and see how you get on.

Insurgents will not get scoped weapons except for 2 or 3 SVD's per teams, same goes for militia. The point for this is to adapt to a given situation by using different tactics depending on how you are equiped. Soon vehicles will be in game. Then the insurgnents will have to adapt to APC's with 30mm cannons and thermals rolling on the field. It's how asymetrical warfare is

Easiest way to avoid these situations is by reading what you are purchasing before you pay for it :)

About the point you're making in the begining of your post, you can fit an acog on your bb gun if you want. In the army you just don't get that choice

And non of those weapons would be allowed in a military, as the military use standard-issue weapons. You can't go grab a russian AK if you're in the british military.

Squad is trying to get this part RIGHT by putting restrictions on weapons for factions.........just as it is in real life.

the .50 cal shout was an example.

No, you can't chose to have a scoped m4 for insurgents, just like you can't have a BFG. 

I think you've got the wrong idea about what this game is, killing people with s1ck headsh0ts is only an aspect of the game's focus; teamwork and coordination.

Even marksmen who have long range optics aren't there to kill everybody they see, they're there to recon and prioritise specific targets as they coordinate with their squad leader.

Not to mention that suppression and the fear of death is mighty effective at making the enemy move, no need for headshots at range, just make them get up and run into the ambush your squad has set up.  :)

If this was a test of how mature our community is. I think we passed :)

You have done well little bear. You have earned the achievement of the troll block. May the gods be with you.

I think you've got the wrong idea about what this game is, killing people with s1ck headsh0ts is only an aspect of the game's focus; teamwork and coordination.

Even marksmen who have long range optics aren't there to kill everybody they see, they're there to recon and prioritise specific targets as they coordinate with their squad leader.

But I want to killlllll.

Alright so I sucked it up and read the manual. Played a few hours last night and talked to my team about the ropes. I did only join squads with available scopes so yes I'm that guy.

I plan to practice using the sights when I get into those more confined areas and will branch out when I'm more comfortable with it and test out the other factions and what not. I still haven't played all the maps and game modes but I do like the game. I was shocked and kind of offended about the classes but......I didn't read the manual before the pre order and just jumped right in thinking yeah, I got this. My gun game is strong (I did destroy several people on the flank last night) :)

So anyway thanks to those who gave the replies answering my questions. I no longer want to try and refund and I'm eager to learn the game better.

I'd still like to hear from a dev what the future ideas will bring for scopes/factions but I guess this thread isn't the place for that. I'll read the updates and will see you ladies on the battlefield.

Ah.. Excuse me gentlemen.. Threads like this are meant to dissolve into chaos. Please resort to name calling to return my world to normal.

I'm impressed. Thank you all.

But I want to killlllll.

Alright so I sucked it up and read the manual. Played a few hours last night and talked to my team about the ropes. I did only join squads with available scopes so yes I'm that guy.

I plan to practice using the sights when I get into those more confined areas and will branch out when I'm more comfortable with it and test out the other factions and what not. I still haven't played all the maps and game modes but I do like the game. I was shocked and kind of offended about the classes but......I didn't read the manual before the pre order and just jumped right in thinking yeah, I got this. My gun game is strong (I did destroy several people on the flank last night) :)

So anyway thanks to those who gave the replies answering my questions. I no longer want to try and refund and I'm eager to learn the game better.

I'd still like to hear from a dev what the future ideas will bring for scopes/factions but I guess this thread isn't the place for that. I'll read the updates and will see you ladies on the battlefield.

Glad to see you have an open mind and are rising to the challenge. You, my friend, will be a valuable teammate.  :)