zeep

Weapon -> World collision. Why we need it. *And it's coming* :)

In Squad, your weapon (the barrel mainly) can go through everything "solid". When you raise your weapon and face a wall, tree, etc, your barrel just goes inside and/or through that object.

This behavior has a side effect that is well known in the gaming world: Weapons sticking out through walls. Through doors. Etc. Chances are you've seen this yourself sometimes in other FPS games.

For example:

EebRCNM.jpg

What should happen is the weapon should collide with the world. It should be a solid object that interacts accordingly (and realistically) with solid object in the map.

If the game does this right then the devs will have also laid the groundwork for weapon-resting. Any hard surface such as the ground, windowpane, small walls, everything is a potential surface for you to rest your weapon on (and of course add stability).

See this collision for example, in Infiltration, a mod for 99 Unreal Tournament. Start to watch at 4:27.

Or read more and another video at Dslyecxi 's Infiltration article.  (Scroll about 2/3's down to "Weapon collision with environment.")

The collision system also comes into play when turning towards something that would realistically block the rifle. Unlike most games where your weapon would have no presence and would just magically stay outstretched regardless of how you move through the environment, Infiltration simulates the presence in a way that makes it possible to bang your rifle on a corner if trying to turn too closely into it. Imagine taking a relatively long rifle like an M-16A4, standing with it shouldered, and then trying to walk sideways through a normal doorway. It wouldn't work - you'd be forced to lower it or take it out of your shoulder to fit. In Infiltration, this is very well replicated - so much so that it becomes second-nature in short order and results in realistic close-quarters movement techniques, as well as emphasizing weapon choices when it comes to such environments.

A way of implementing this in Squad could be the addition of a freeaim area. An area in which the player can move the weapon without turning with it. So that you can move your weapon away from collisions, rest it for stability etc. Like you do in real life.

I hope the team can take this into consideration. I'm also curious about other thoughts on this.

Greetings,

Zeep

As they are still in Early Access-Stage, I hope that they'll change that behavior over time.

You already mentioned the worsed aspect of this "bug": Weapons can be spottet from outside through walls or trees etc. and that of course would be a great advantage for the bad guys out there ;-)

Yes agreed, we are aware but the animations still need a lot of work, thanks for the feedback

Yes agreed, we are aware but the animations still need a lot of work, thanks for the feedback

That's good to know :). I understand that many aspects of Squad are still being worked on.

I hope you didn't take my post as complaining! I don't mean it like that.

I'm playing Squad all the time and enjoying it very much.

That's good to know :). I understand that many aspects of Squad are still being worked on.

I hope you didn't take my post as complaining! I don't mean it like that.

I'm playing Squad all the time and enjoying it very much.

No I didn't think you were complaining buddy, I just have a lot on right now so I'm being blunt

Yup, on the map for sure, still tons of little things to iterate on.

God, that Infiltration video gives me flashbacks. What an amazing mod that was for it's time.

Yup, on the map for sure, still tons of little things to iterate on.

To share some information, which you maybe already know, but the dev of Ground Breach, uses this plugin for weapon collision:

Also UE4.

This is one of the reasons we invested in plugin Rama developed that allows you to detect collisions for rotations, not just translations.

Rama developed it for melee weapons.

We will be using it for general weapon collision.

I think this is the link:

http://ue4code.com/melee_weapon_system_plugin_per_bone_collision_accuracy

I hope it helps.

Is it possible when walking or running to have the weapon lowered across the body . As in real life . Then  have it raised up to shoulder when in contact .

Is it possible when walking or running to have the weapon lowered across the body . As in real life . Then  have it raised up to shoulder when in contact .

I think the 'world-models' actually show to do that when running.

OK ill check it out , i played gunner today and the scope was quite high , when walking , but ill check again . not knocking it .