Sign in to follow this  
digasro

Fixed wing / Rotary aircraft?

Wondering if there will be any CAS planes or helis?

in my mind a game like this would NEED an A10C flying overhead dropping maverics on laser guided targets (tanks, Apcs, bunkers or houses)

i would very much love to see a working PIP display on the cokcpit for thermal cameras, working guided missiles and bombs, HE-AP ammo for the 30mm cannon, all the stuff that make the A10 a beast.. and mabey an AH-64 shooting some long range guided missiles / hydra dum fire rockets.. working gunner station and all that jazz!  

in my opinion it would bring an extra layer of immersion and awe to the game both to the plane lovers and the ground troops

Yes, in the future we plan on making vehicles. Wouldn't be a successor to PR:BF2 if vehicles weren't implemented.

Yes, in the future we plan on making vehicles. Wouldn't be a successor to PR:BF2 if vehicles weren't implemented.

Would this include naval assets? (also can you make it so we can use the naval large caliber guns as pseudo mortars)

Naval guns would (obviously) have to get their range a bit limited, since they would outstretch the map if accurately portrayed. But then again, we haven't heard anything about map sizes yet,

so I am really exited to see what we get :D

Since we are on the topic of ships, how about player controlled ships? BF1943's Forgotten Hope mod incorperated it and it was great, once you got over how clunky it was.

Could also really give a boost to the teamwork of spotter / captain / gunner, but might be really really hard to implement, what with landing on player controlled carriers and all.

We are implementing assets as the development pace and situation permits, starting with light ground vehicles and vehicles and moving up from there. Reason being that we have to implement the classes to support a given vehicle, and also take care of balancing in maps and developing the given assets, atm we feel that the infantry gameplay/light vehicles has to be spot on in our AAS setup before we allocate artists to further the vehicle implementations.. 

If the maps are going to be roughly the same maximum size of PR's (4km2) I don't think fixed-wing aircraft should be included - It's much too small a space to be flying around in, and for the playercounts and sizes of the engagements it can sometimes have a detrimental effect on gameplay. Helicopters, sure. 

Pretty sure he meant 16km as in 4x4km.

No, I've talked pretty extensively with the devs... and unless I am sorely mistaken, the average map map size will be around 16km squared. 4km squared is what we have in PRBF2 now, and we obviously plan on making larger maps than PRBF2's... so 16km squared will be a good average.

Pretty sure he meant 16km as in 4x4km.

I would say thats where we will comfortable end up at around 16km x 16km.

I have built a map that size in the engine and it seems to perform just fine. 

With proper optimization and spreading out villages and assets I don't see any reason why not. 

this is one is over 8km2.. dont remember exactly. i put in a humvee to give you perspective. you are seeing around 1/4 of the map

edit: one of the things we will have to master is procedural based decoration of the maps.. otherwise it will be untenable for sure.. 

Posted Image

Heck with a map that dry just give me a cybran battleship with its freakish crabbie legs to crawl all over opfor, their tears would sure fill the valleys!

Heck with a map that dry just give me a cybran battleship with its freakish crabbie legs to crawl all over opfor, their tears would sure fill the valleys!

hehe..  now that you mention it.. water.. the ue4 engine is not doing water well if at all at the moment... something we can implement though. 

hehe..  now that you mention it.. water.. the ue4 engine is not doing water well if at all at the moment... something we can implement though. 

would be cool to have the battleships like in bf1942 :D 

Yeah water is still a hack at this point. I think the community manager said something last week about them looking into rolling the functionality directly into the editor. Water was also difficult to implement in the UDK, so I hope it won't take long for them to roll a solution out.

eh, for a game focusing on mainly modern warfare/Middle East warfare, water won't  be too much of a problem. Then again, amphibious landings on beaches backed by battleships would be awesome

Will there be a functional CCIP (bombing sight)? I'm more of a combat flight sim guy, so realism is good for me.

But I can tolerate mechanics as poor as BF2 or PR, so long as there is a functional bomb sight.

On map size topic.

The size doesn't matter if players can't fill it up. So what's the most simulated clients you guys have been able to run?

With such big maps that I really would like you would also need a vehicle that is spawned ALL the time. otherwise people will quit and stop playing the game and it will be a small player count that PR have now. 

Be interesting to see how the devs balance the vehicles on open maps, and how more built up city orientated maps would work. Thats alot of work for the mappers. Hope they can still develop though awesome town maps. 

I would say thats where we will comfortable end up at around 16km x 16km.

I have built a map that size in the engine and it seems to perform just fine. 

With proper optimization and spreading out villages and assets I don't see any reason why not. 

this is one is over 8km2.. dont remember exactly. i put in a humvee to give you perspective. you are seeing around 1/4 of the map

edit: one of the things we will have to master is procedural based decoration of the maps.. otherwise it will be untenable for sure.. 

Posted Image

Wow that put it in perspective, it's even bigger then i though! And you guys are going to make them even bigger? Woudn't too big be too much for 80 people servers?