Sign in to follow this  
Cruzmissile

FOB Overrun Distance

Apologies if this has been discussed before, did a search and couldn't find much.

It is my belief that the FOB/rally overrun radius is way way way too small.  I just spent a round on Chora endlessly fighting for the same flag because the people inside never stopped spawning.  There is no sense, as there was in PR, that you had defeated the enemy.  There is no quiet period after you had killed the last man. They just keep spawning.  I can understand if they were getting a steady stream of reinforcement from outlying FOBs and Main, but we had them surrounded, and they just kept spawning inside.  It made for a really un-enjoyable grind of just killing people

Are there plans to increase this in the future?

Anyone disagree?

Would love to hear thoughts.

Sounds like a teamwork issue to me. I have run into a similar problem where they have hunkered down in a cache compound and heavily defended it, and just grinded for 45 minutes at least.

However, once we got the server populated we managed to have a squad firing down into the compound suppressing while we dug out their assets and then managed to kill the FOB.

If the radius is any bigger you'll have no chance at hiding sneaky FOB's in the scrub. I can already easily find and 1-man some of them just by finding out what direction they are running in at and immediately digging it once found.

The more guys you have on the enemy fob the quicker it will go down and adds time to there spawn, they probs had a higher ratio around the fob to keep to up and not have it effected by the amount of attacker

First of all, what is Cruzmissile is calling into question is the distance it takes to render a fob unspawnable, not to destroy it. Therefore, all of the arguments about the amount of people defending it and not having good enough teamwork should be ignored in my opinion, no offense. In my opinion, the gameplay mechanic of rendering a unspawnable when a certain number of enemies are within a certain distance of it is implemented to serve two purposes.

Firstly, in a quasi-realistic game that squad strives to be, disabling a fob makes it so that the team who owns the fob is faced with a semi-realistic logistical problem.

The team should have to realize that this fob has been "overrun" or "cut-off", and should be the faced with the problem of retaking it and establishing their lines again. If this problem not presented to the fob owning team, a situation like the one cruzmissile describes may arise. The problem with this kind of situation is that it allows the fob owning team to magically appear inside of an area where the enemy has established a presence and which in a realistic situation would not happen. I'm pretty sure that modern fighting forces have not discovered teleportation technology yet, and we definitely haven't burrowed deep enough into the earth to encounter the mole people, because I would have heard about that. I realize that the whole fob system is kinda like teleportation, I just don't think you should be able to do it "through" an enemy presence.

Secondly, it serves the purpose of preventing unreasonable spawn camping.

The fob overrun distance should be far enough away to prevent heinous spawn camping situations. That being said, if your SL is stupid enough to put a fob in the middle of an open field, the enemy should be able to see it from a reasonable distance and be able to camp it as a sort of punishment. Disclaimer, I don't think that this measure alone is enough to stop unnecessary spawn camping and I hope you all will debate it further.

So there are my reasons as to why I think rendering fobs from a distance is necessary and why the game mechanic has proven useful in my PR experience. Before I explain how I think this mechanic should be implemented, I want to explain some of the opinions that I have on fobs in their current state.

First, I will re-iterate that this disabling mechanic is not a way of destroying a fob. Although it shares the idea of being within a certain range of a fob, I think that is just temporary until c4 or something is implemented. Also, when the enemy has been expelled from within inside of this range the fob should return to its spawnable state.

Next, I want to say that I think that one extremely overpowered aspect of squad in its current state is the base construction. Without a proper logistics system in place, and no limit to the number of items you can place, (I don't think there should be a limit because realism) you can literally block yourself off from the outside world. I know that you can unshovel walls and stuff, but it remains pretty unbalanced in my opinion. Therefore,  I think that the range around a fob at which it should be rendered unspawnable should depend on the number of construction objects that have been placed. This makes it so that if you want to build a sneak fob behind enemy lines the radius will be tiny and if you want to build a point defense fob and make fort knox it will not be brokenly overpowered.

Anyways, I have been thinking about how the devs will implement this for a long time and this is the post that finally made me sign up on the forums and post something. I know that my idea is not perfect, but I think that it is a very reasonable solution for the game in its current state. I am sure that if things like c4 and rope/grappling hooks from PR are added that this whole discussion will need to be revisited.

Currently FOB overrun increases the time it takes to spawn at a FOB. Earlier in development overrun disabled FOB spawning but that caused issues because the old FOB capture radius was too large.

At the moment the FOBs are work in progress like the rest of the game, so when they are developed further with supply lines and such I'm sure the overrun mechanic will be readdressed.

On 12/15/2015 at 2:42 AM, cpt.capper said:

First of all, what is Cruzmissile is calling into question is the distance it takes to render a fob unspawnable, not to destroy it. Therefore, all of the arguments about the amount of people defending it and not having good enough teamwork should be ignored in my opinion, no offense. In my opinion, the gameplay mechanic of rendering a unspawnable when a certain number of enemies are within a certain distance of it is implemented to serve two purposes.

Firstly, in a quasi-realistic game that squad strives to be, disabling a fob makes it so that the team who owns the fob is faced with a semi-realistic logistical problem.

The team should have to realize that this fob has been "overrun" or "cut-off", and should be the faced with the problem of retaking it and establishing their lines again. If this problem not presented to the fob owning team, a situation like the one cruzmissile describes may arise. The problem with this kind of situation is that it allows the fob owning team to magically appear inside of an area where the enemy has established a presence and which in a realistic situation would not happen. I'm pretty sure that modern fighting forces have not discovered teleportation technology yet, and we definitely haven't burrowed deep enough into the earth to encounter the mole people, because I would have heard about that. I realize that the whole fob system is kinda like teleportation, I just don't think you should be able to do it "through" an enemy presence.

Secondly, it serves the purpose of preventing unreasonable spawn camping.

The fob overrun distance should be far enough away to prevent heinous spawn camping situations. That being said, if your SL is stupid enough to put a fob in the middle of an open field, the enemy should be able to see it from a reasonable distance and be able to camp it as a sort of punishment. Disclaimer, I don't think that this measure alone is enough to stop unnecessary spawn camping and I hope you all will debate it further.

So there are my reasons as to why I think rendering fobs from a distance is necessary and why the game mechanic has proven useful in my PR experience. Before I explain how I think this mechanic should be implemented, I want to explain some of the opinions that I have on fobs in their current state.

First, I will re-iterate that this disabling mechanic is not a way of destroying a fob. Although it shares the idea of being within a certain range of a fob, I think that is just temporary until c4 or something is implemented. Also, when the enemy has been expelled from within inside of this range the fob should return to its spawnable state.

Next, I want to say that I think that one extremely overpowered aspect of squad in its current state is the base construction. Without a proper logistics system in place, and no limit to the number of items you can place, (I don't think there should be a limit because realism) you can literally block yourself off from the outside world. I know that you can unshovel walls and stuff, but it remains pretty unbalanced in my opinion. Therefore,  I think that the range around a fob at which it should be rendered unspawnable should depend on the number of construction objects that have been placed. This makes it so that if you want to build a sneak fob behind enemy lines the radius will be tiny and if you want to build a point defense fob and make fort knox it will not be brokenly overpowered.

Anyways, I have been thinking about how the devs will implement this for a long time and this is the post that finally made me sign up on the forums and post something. I know that my idea is not perfect, but I think that it is a very reasonable solution for the game in its current state. I am sure that if things like c4 and rope/grappling hooks from PR are added that this whole discussion will need to be revisited.

+1 I will bump this weekly until it gets implemented

but it is so much fun to attack a compound with lots of enemies in it. I like that we need to maintain pressure and work together to remove deployables to get access. I like that the spawn time increases for the enemy as we get closer but the fob is still spawnable. I like that there is action. 

Fun is more important than anything else. 

A long walk will just empty servers, keep it fun or fail.

22 hours ago, suds said:

but it is so much fun to attack a compound with lots of enemies in it. I like that we need to maintain pressure and work together to remove deployables to get access. I like that the spawn time increases for the enemy as we get closer but the fob is still spawnable. I like that there is action. 

Fun is more important than anything else. 

A long walk will just empty servers, keep it fun or fail.

The range doesn't need to be huge, large enough that when you begin entering a compound the enemy has stopped respawning.

also being able to opt not to destroy the FOB and just spawn kill isn't "fun" 

it is fun, enemy who cant communicate deserves a quick death.

1. If you find an enemy fob ALWAYS camp it until backup arrives so you can take it down.

2. Have fun.

3. Win