bumfluff

Please no raised weapon as default

SgtRoss   

And if it doesn't change from what it is now...oh well. I'm just happy the game is being made. If this really breaks it for you, maybe you should try going outside. Or go try out Airsoft. That's bound to be more realism for you.

Lol...awesome.

Perhaps the biggest issue for me that would seperate this game from other more game orientated shooters is the issue of having a raised weapon all the time.

Think about it. You imagine trying to run with a weapon aimed. It's impossible. Likewise, your arms would get tired if you had your weapon up all the time.

I reckon if the developers really want to make this game different from all the rest you should have to click your mouse once to bring your weapon to bear. Or something like that. And you would get fatigued if it was at ready all time time.

^^^^ArmA 3

I would like to ADS and Raise/Lower my rifle on my own accord. I'm sure that's how the majority feels, anyway.

One of those small things in ARMA that I really appreciate. It's one more deliberate step to FF someone that way.

I once tried carrying my SA80 like a FPS game on a patrol, 20 minutes in and my fists felt like concrete and were falling off from the shoulder lol

then I made a career move and tried it with a M4, after 35minutes the same detail.

This was one of the little things I liked about Op. Flashpoint: Red River. If you hadn't fired your gun in a while your guy would drop his weapon down into a walking stance.

^ this

I didn't read through everything, so sorry if someone else said this. 

It's not even necessary for it to have anything to do with fatigue. 

Here's an idea:

If you're sprinting, your gun is lowered and you are traveling at the fastest possible speed. This takes stamina.

If you are not sprinting with your weapon lowered, you are traveling at the second-fastest speed. No stamina is taken. There is a slight delay to hip fire, or hip fire is extremely inaccurate for a unit of time.

If you are not sprinting and your gun is up, you travel more slowly than if you had your weapon down. No stamina is taken. There is no delay to hip fire.

If you are ADS, you are at your slowest. No stamina taken. 

I think it should be manual but at the same time I don't want my keyboard cluttered with different controls that I'll never remember.

It should be contextual; if looking at friendlies at very close range, if your gun collides with an obstacle(this would also prevent the barrel sticking out from other side of the wall in a nice way) etc. Other than that extra key, is just unnecessary and doesn't feel natural.

SgtRoss   

It should be contextual; if looking at friendlies at very close range, if your gun collides with an obstacle(this would also prevent the barrel sticking out from other side of the wall in a nice way) etc. Other than that extra key, is just unnecessary and doesn't feel natural.

You might be on to something. ;)Already stuff we've thought of.

unfrail   

Premise:
The "pointing weapons at friendlies" argument is weak in the context of other development priorities, like vehicles, helicopters, medical, pretty much everything.

If lowering your weapon was integrated as a functional addition to player interaction, then to me (not a dev) it would make more sense.
If you look at the lowered rifle as an "interaction stance" it makes a lot more sense, and it becomes a functional addition, not a protracted investment into tedium.

• Going to build a fob? lower your rifle.
  • Going to open a door? "  "  "
  • Going to get in a vehicle? "  "  "
  • Going to buddy drag someone? "  "  "
  • Need to climb a hill on all 4s?  "  "  "
  • Need to load some mortars?  "  "  "
  • etc etc etc

I would add a "weapon lowered stance" where the gun is effectively slung to your chest, muzzle to the dirt, and depending on interaction animations, hands would be one-on the rifle or both off.

Auto lower:
NO. In a war game, I want complete control over when my rifle is up or down.

Keybinds:
This is totally arbitrary because you can just rebind as you like, but I prefer the idea of a combo press. All weapons could be lowered to the "interact" stance by alt-selecting the current weapon (maybe any weapon). basically holstering anything other than the rifle which would be strapped to your chest.

Binding it to a single key has issues; its either safely and annoyingly across the keyboard, or its close and prone to mis-click. Hence, I prefer a "ALT-1" press combo, or "ALT-2" since CTRL is likely default bound to crouch and I will likely need to change weapons while crouched.

Disclaimer:

this is my unofficial, uninformed, and personally biased opinion. Devs are smart and as the Sgt stated, are well into exploring these possibilities.

...what  unfrail said. Wouldn`t walk around with my gun pointing to the ground in any dangerous area at any time IRL.

If Squad is anything like PR, maps are 4 km² and a round can last from 1 to 3 hours... any soldier IRL, dangerous area or not, able to keep his rifle up for this amount of time, walking a few kilometers, in a rather desertic environement, is either on very strong drugs, a robot, or an alien.

Unfortunately, if the whole intent for this feature to be added is for realism, even the example given in the video is unrealistic. The way it is implemented in that video, you have your weapon at the low-ready even indoors. In reality, your weapon would be up the whole time and depending on your optic, you would be both eyes open through a reflex/aimpoint or both eyes open looking directly over your ACOG RCO. I wouldn't drop my weapon unless there was a very specific reason.

The whole thing is just wonky and the only real way to implement this for actual realism sake is to make it a keybind, which I do not think is a good idea for this game.

Also, for the BF2:PR guys, this game has true 1st/3rd person perspective, as in, what you do in 1st person shows in 3rd person. So, it may have worked in PR, but it doesn't work that way here. You can't have the weapon up at all times in 1st person and weapon alert to the dirt in 3rd person.

I don't know what you've seen in that video (I didn't watch it entirely) but I've been fooling around a bit in Ground branch and their system is pretty decent, if not actually great. I strongly advise you to try it (but you have to pay... or find someone who has it already)

MMB transitions the gun from low ready to ADS or ready position.

Once Ready or ADS, the mouse wheel transition the gun from one to another, as in :

Mouse wheel UP -> ADS

Mouse wheel DOWN -> Gun ready/"hip fire"

When in lower ready it makes you point your gun up or down.

It's fast to use, if you're in lower ready stance and try to fire it automaticly switchs to ADS or ready position.

It's fast, smooth and only takes the middle mouse button. They have the right click bind to switching active hand but in Squad it could be bind to the stance like "RC + Wheel" or to anything else...

FAQ caused a thread necro lol.

Most games just bypass this issue by showing first person weapon raised and 3rd person weapon in standby until they shoot then the 3d model instantly pops the gun up and holds it in raised stance for a few seconds then puts it back in standby.

Cant really do that here since the first person and third person models are the same. That makes fixing this really tricky. You could make it so that every time you sprint the guy drops the gun into standbye and you have to press a key to raise it again (shoot or ads). Then it stays in raised position until you sprint again.

But the whole everyone in raised weapon position constantly feels very unrealistic and detracts from the game IMO.

Murphy   

Adding a button for milsim players to lower their weapon is all cool, I will walk around with my weapon raised and ready to fire 24/7. If this is implemented please consider the players who don't want to role play the entire round long.

Adding a button for milsim players to lower their weapon is all cool, I will walk around with my weapon raised and ready to fire 24/7. If this is implemented please consider the players who don't want to role play the entire round long.

Guessing there would a penalty for that; fatigue-stamina-sway?

And lowered weapon for marching speed walk takes away some of the twitchshooting aspiration maybe?

KaB   

Slight stamina regen speed bonus seems to be the right (and only) solution to me for low ready position. One toggle key to switch from low ready to raised, period.

the implementation of raise/lower weapon in arma 3 is horrible and buggy, generally i like the concept of beeing able to lower the weapon to save stamina but only if the controls arent clunky and i wouldnt like lowered weapon as default. i would want to lower the weapon while i hold the corresponding button and raise it when i stop pressing it. there could be a toggle button as well for people with different preferences.

Melbo   

the implementation of raise/lower weapon in arma 3 is horrible and buggy, generally i like the concept of beeing able to lower the weapon to save stamina but only if the controls arent clunky and i wouldnt like lowered weapon as default. i would want to lower the weapon while i hold the corresponding button and raise it when i stop pressing it. there could be a toggle button as well for people with different preferences.

Double tapping Ctrl never caused me any issues. What exactly do you find "horrible and buggy" about it?

Funny this was revived from a while back. Still though, it's something I'd personally like to see in SQUAD. It's not a requirement, at all, but it would be a nice addition.

I actually made a video on this very subject about a month back:

Funny this was revived from a while back. Still though, it's something I'd personally like to see in SQUAD. It's not a requirement, at all, but it would be a nice addition.

Wouldn't hold my breath but that would work really well in Squad.

Can't wait for GB to go Early Access as well.

Wouldn't hold my breath but that would work really well in Squad.

Can't wait for GB to go Early Access as well.

Earliest predicted ETA for Early Access is January. Hopefully they can make it happen. From what I've seen lately, it's shaping up nicely.  

Rybec   

Well if ArmA did it it must be buggy!

I just don't see the issue people had with it. Ignore everything else in the video other than how the weapon is raised and lowered. The only thing being done is pressing right mouse to aim. No C, no Ctrl, no double tapping anything. The transition is very very quick and simple. I actually like the double tapping Ctrl but I'm a minority for that I guess.

SgtRoss   

Watched and passing on to the team to get feedback on it. 

Imagine that, we do listen and watch community videos! ;)

You just never know, worst thing anyone can do is nothing at all, just general advice by the way.  B)

Melbo   

Well if ArmA did it it must be buggy!

Brilliant. Absolutely fantastic logic there mate.

The amount of hate Arma gets by people who don't understand it is unreal.