bumfluff

Please no raised weapon as default

I would not to this. It looks like the kind of real life thing that has no gameplay value and might actually be annoying.

But the lower/raise weapon thing in ArmA is horrible and no one use it. The only purpose it serves is that you forget what button raised your weapon. If you want to raise your weapon just ADS, and it will stay raised for the next 5 minutes or so.

Lol what? Everyone who is halfway decent at arma uses it. If you keep the weapon raised all the time the fatigue kicks in hard and your aim goes to hell :)

could it not just be an automatic system? Sprinting=weapon down, walking=middle position (what would you call it? i guess so that you could hipfire if u wanted... pls no crosshair...) unless you press RMB to aim down sights and basically the same when you are standing still.

I just think that arma player movement it a bit annoying... but that's my opinion

If its gonna be manually controlled on additional button with fatigue system - it will scare off lots of new comers, this will make things too complex and annoy to no end. Such feature is essential only for really hardcore OscarMike ArmA role players, half of PR gamers are not like that. PR is a mix of realism and arcade, so yeah...

But if this would be an automatic animation after 7 minutes of no mouse push, without penalty on shoot/optics action speed afterwards - then why not?

To be honest I thought it's a must have feature. Seeing everyone in 3tp view constantly aiming down sight just looks stupid. But don't make it another button switching mode, it should be contextual, when being idle for 15sec (not ADS or shooting) lowers you weapon to raise it automatically when shooting or ADS.

I would also like to have that third position. It doesn't look quite realistic, when everyone is walking around all the time with their weapons raised up, like if they're just about to clear a building.
Most of the time it's still other than fighting, so having your weapon raised all the time would be just unnecessarily tiring your arms. Of course this game is not aimed to be fully realistic, but this is just one of those small things that annoys me and makes a game lose its immersion. You don't have to be ready to shoot at someone in every second... or maybe you do, but not like keeping your gun pointing forward all the time. 

Having this implemented with some kind of fatigue system would also make a new realistic element to the game. It would give more advantages and disadvantages for different sized and weighted weapons and weapon types. For example, It's a way easier to carry and aim an AR than LMG or other heavier small arm. Aiming an LMG, or just keeping it up for some time would make your arms getting tired and shaky. That should affect your weapon sway.

But what are people talking about an additional buttons?

Isn't it possible to use just right mouse button only? When your weapon is in low -position, raise it up by clicking RMB once. To get it back down, click RMB. To aim down the sights, press RMB down.
Shouldn't it work fine like this, or am i missing something?

Raising and lowering your weapon is not just a cosmetic feature.

It's not good to point your gun at friendlies, especially in low visibility conditions. A raise/lower system would improve realism (eg. your buddy isn't pointing barrel at your chest with his finger on the trigger when he talks to you), and also it will force players into practicing good discipline around friendlies to avoid friendly fire accidents.

If people are that intimidated by the added complexity of just 1 button then games like PR and Squad are probably not for them. I'm not saying it should be like ArmA III with 2 billion stances, but in this day and age constantly shouldering your weapon looks ridiculous.

Isn't it possible to use just right mouse button only? When your weapon is in low -position, raise it up by clicking RMB once. To get it back down, click RMB. To aim down the sights, press RMB down.

Shouldn't it work fine like this, or am i missing something?

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. And to lower the weapon;there may be some kind of a "sleep" mode triggered by " no weapons fired for 90 seconds". Also this should be an aesthetic feature rather than a functional one.

If people are that intimidated by the added complexity of just 1 button then games like PR and Squad are probably not for them. I'm not saying it should be like ArmA III with 2 billion stances, but in this day and age constantly shouldering your weapon looks ridiculous.

If every feature have only 1 extra button then zadabam there is keyboard full of extra buttons like in "ArmA"

Personally I think contextual or nothing on this one. 

Adding a per feature keybind as many have said is just bad game design. 

For the value this adds in terms of gameplay it would need to be automatic or not at all. 

Just my opinion though, there are 15-17 other devs on this team.  hehe

+1 with OP it's dangerous as f*ck to point a weapon at your friends.

#WeaponSafetyComesFirstPeople

+1 with OP it's dangerous as f*ck to point a weapon at your friends.

#WeaponSafetyComesFirstPeople

#WatchYourMuzzle   #StopMuzzleFlagging

But the lower/raise weapon thing in ArmA is horrible and no one use it. The only purpose it serves is that you forget what button raised your weapon. If you want to raise your weapon just ADS, and it will stay raised for the next 5 minutes or so.

I and pretty much everyone I play with use it. Prevents friendly fire/ND and helps conserve stamina. It's also possible to simply click and the character will raise the weapon to firing position regardless of stance/pace.

That said, I don't see the point in an ArmA style system being implemented in Squad. In an old mod for Half Life called Hostile Intent, your weapon would stay lowered until you ADS.

Automatical weapon lowering after time would have it's cons as well(ie. lowering right as you face the enemy). It either needs great amount of consideration and configuring/testing, or it will be aggravating in some instances.

Automatical weapon lowering after time would have it's cons as well(ie. lowering right as you face the enemy). It either needs great amount of consideration and configuring/testing, or it will be aggravating in some instances.

I agree and this is why it ought to be manual lowering/raising, or none at all. The video game can't read my mind.

If you're in a building you would be aiming down sights a fair amount of time anyway. If it's then that you bump into them, then that's CQB for you, you died because you didn't have covering fire on the angle he came from.

If you bump into a guy in a large open area, then A) you were unlucky to run into him and B) you would have been running with the weapon down in real life, and in the game if the weapon was manually raised and lowered.

Obviously there would have to be testing as to the time a guy holds the weapon up after ADS'ing. but I don't think that many instances of being caught with the weapon down would happen.

The only problem I can foresee is that if running puts the weapon down (which it should) then people might complain that they cant raise their weapon quick enough when running into a CQB environment. Though my answer to that is that you shouldn't have run in there...

You're not understanding it. On automatic lowering after few minutes of no mouse push you would be able to start shooting or use optics again without any time/speed penalty, as if you've been keeping your gun raised. It would be only cosmetic feature. Just pluses.

PR lets any casual gamer easily get into game starting playing as simple rifleman grunt, then step by step he gradually opens to himself all the other interesting aspects of PR that requires some thinking. Some people delve into it, some people continue playing as grunts enjoying teamwork and fullscale war as nowhere else.

If you'll make even simple grunts gameplay - a hard work that requires one to read manual first, then it wil be ArmA and it will scare off big chunk of potential avid gamers. I myself started playing PR as casual gamer from BF. I tried to play ArmA many times already, but I just don't like all that complexity that turns a fun tactical game into a no fun gazillion buttons pushing. We're really don't want to create another ArmA, do we?

There are realism mechanics that add fun to game and there are other realism mechanics that add headpain and annoy as hell - manual lowering raising all the time is the latter.

No. It's another feature that would just complicate things. PR was the middle ground. While I personally don't think it's hard to remember, it brings ArmA to mind for many, many people.

not sure how this feature would play out, im good with whatever as long as it doesnt FEEL clunky like arma.

if some guy pops out of a doorway 10m infront of me i should be able to mash my mouse button and have rounds down range instantly. other than that make it look however you want, this is a video game not the most perfectly perfect war simulator ever.

I can agree with that ArmA argument, i don't want Squad to be that kind of complex and clunky button pushing simulator. And what i have understanded while reading this site, it won't be. And that's good!

But i don't really believe that having the weapon lowering and raising -mechanism manually would make the Squad that complex game. 
People are talking here about an additional buttons. Not sure if i'm missing something but i have always thought, that with this system there's no any additional buttons needed. Just the right mouse button that you already use for aiming. You can change you guns position between Low and Raised by clicking RMB once. And pressing it down to Aim Down the Sights. Right?

And moving your gun around and aiming it is something that you do basically all the time. So, this is something that you will get used to quite a quickly, especially when you can use it with just the Right Mouse Button.

Honestly, i really want this thing implemented in to the game. I believe, that it won't make things complex in any way.

Id doesn't even do anything in arma does it? 0.o

It does actually.

When your gun is lowered and you run/jog you don't get tired as quick as you do with your weapon up. Not to mention the safety it adds, I'm sure we've all played(or done it ourselves) with that guy that accidentally discharges his weapon. In Arma if your gun is lowered(double tap Ctrl, really easy i dont see how this complicates things) and you hit left mouse button it'll immediately raise your weapon again, ready to shoot.

I'm all for it, hell add an option to either have it manually, automatically or even not at all(but with slight stamina penalty?) if possible.

Another aspect of being able to lower you weapon that often seems to go unnoticed is the fact that it gives you a clear, unobstructed field of view. For me that is one of the greatest perks of it, and it's something I utilize heavily in games that allow it when I'm doing recon, holding a position etc.

You're not understanding it. On automatic lowering after few minutes of no mouse push you would be able to start shooting or use optics again without any time/speed penalty, as if you've been keeping your gun raised. It would be only cosmetic feature. Just pluses.

That thing being purely cosmetic would look just awful.