bumfluff

Please no raised weapon as default

411 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Peerun said:

CS:GO

And how did they run with rifles in Counterstrike for the longest time? It was always at the hip and the character would raise it to their shoulder as they fired yes?

Look it's gaming terminology, regardless of where the gun is actually held on the model. Even in the BF series it's called hipfire because it has  the characteristics of hipfire even if the gun isn't actually at the hip.

I like your suggestion of binding the weapon lower to sprint, it still seems pretty unecessary as there was never any delay to shoot to begin with - not sure you thought there'd ever be a percievable delay to the player.

yes! I couldn't agree more!

There must be a dedicated key or whenever LMB/RMB is used, the weapon will automatically be raised. 

Hopefully, this will become part of the upcoming developments.

For some of us, it's not a big deal, it's because the realism effect of the lowered or raised weapons is subtle. It works on the subconscious. Some of you hear who are not bothered by it before might have started to be annoyed or at least notice it in game after reading this thread.

Cheers!

Oh god - I am not even sure if you don't understand what I write or if you just don't what you're saying at this point.

5 hours ago, Rybec said:

And how did they run with rifles in Counterstrike for the longest time? It was always at the hip and the character would raise it to their shoulder as they fired yes?

I was replying to you saying ADS is a standard in fps. Where did you even find the word shoulder in your quote?

4 hours ago, Arduras said:

Look it's gaming terminology, regardless of where the gun is actually held on the model. Even in the BF series it's called hipfire because it has  the characteristics of hipfire even if the gun isn't actually at the hip.

I like your suggestion of binding the weapon lower to sprint, it still seems pretty unecessary as there was never any delay to shoot to begin with - not sure you thought there'd ever be a percievable delay to the player.

Yes, I get that, but seeing as hipfire was mentioned before as a standalone mechanic along with free aim it's kind of confusing now, when someone talks about non-ADS as hipfire, isn't it?

Well it's not only about delay, although I would rather not have a "pop" animation where the gun suddenly arrives into existence from one frame to the next. It's also about aiming with the barrel before going ads, walk speed and stamina even though you'll most likely try to deny that out of discussion, because of "exploits"(it isn't an exploit if it's a feature) (features should be tested and then balanced) and because you seem to lack any imagination, in terms of exploring game mechanics - especially those affecting the pacing of the game. 

2 hours ago, banOkay said:

You guys are making this incredibly difficult lol

"B-but it's not TECHNICALLY hipfire"

"But that's what we call it in gaming"

Me: :/

His argument is one for immersion, which is fine. SO FAR I kind of agree with the idea that weapon lower = whenever the sprint key is pressed, weapon raised whenever the character shoots or ADSs. As for making stamina etc.. I think that's a bit unnecessary.

Case in point: If one sprints they weapon is lowered as soon as they press the key.
When they shoot or aim it's raised.
With the above conditions they'll never sprint with their weapon raised, and making it take stamina just to have your weapon raised would be a bit much in this game I think. Something like that would receive a lot of backlash and they want sales as much as they want a good game.

No no no...
You guys are still not following. First of all, what I mean with the hipfire is exactly the problem I am facing here: misunderstanding
Since someone mentioned Red Orchestra's hipfire in contrast to Squad's non-ADS I just want to make sure we talk about the same thing.
Secondly, my argument isn't immersion. The only immersion argument I made was against an instant "pop and shoot" from a lowered state just by pressing fire.
If anything, your arguments are for immersion, because you deem any gameplay implications of this feature unnecessary. Effectively making it a cosmetic change.

1 hour ago, Arduras said:

With the above conditions they'll never sprint with their weapon raised, and making it take stamina just to have your weapon raised would be a bit much in this game I think. Something like that would receive a lot of backlash and they want sales as much as they want a good game.

Why thank you for quoting me.
Ofcourse their weapon is lowered when they sprint. The "argument" is that once they stop sprinting the stamina recovery rate would be higher and as someone else already said, there could be "an increasing sway as you hold your weapon up" feature. Up to a point of course and interlinked with overall stamina.

Edited by Peerun

15 hours ago, Peerun said:

Oh god - I am not even sure if you don't understand what I write or if you just don't what you're saying at this point.

I was replying to you saying ADS is a standard in fps. Where did you even find the word shoulder in your quote?

When you reply to me with four letters I have to start guessing at what you're trying to say.

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

How is this not obvious?
pcOqFFJ.png
I even highlighted the key word.

Should I highlight the relevant words in the Wikipedia article for "the exception that proves the rule" or are you capable of reading on your own?

There's no need to get so hostile people. I don't think weapon raising/lowering should have gameplay implications, as it is it's not likely to be implemented. If it's just a cosmetic change to avoid clipping through cover I'm cool with that. I don't want some clunky arma/dayz weirdness in a game that plays out pretty fluidly. Besides, we're playing as soldiers not rag tag civilians, if holding your gun to your shoulder makes you tired you shouldn't be holding one in the first place. Holding a stance and actually aiming/taking up posture are two different mindsets. One is just movement/positioning, the gun is loosely fitted so you can respond quickly. Once it's raised then you deal with the sway of low stamina or suppression, but you're still more accurate because your welding your cheek to the stock and ready to take shots.

+1 too. Would add a lot of realism to the game, as would vibration in vehicles, higher billowing smoke from explosions, and filtering the audio for voice Comms so it sounds more like actual chatter.

To press another button or not I would love to see this implemented! The raised firearm all the time bugs me as hell.
TNoxSpo.jpg

My honest opinion is seeing everyone pointing their gun while jogging, crouching, standing still or talking to you is very silly. Have been playing Squad from Steam release and this stuff always felt like a placeholder of a game in development. If they don't implement a feature where we can lower our weapons it will always look unfinised/unpolished.

With the new animation system 1st person and 3rd person animations have been separated. This was due to the limitations that the "true" first person had. I assume one of those limitations they had in mind was not being able to have the weapon automatically lower in 3rd person animation.

TL;DR: now they should be able to implement an auto weapon lower system like in Project Reality.

6 hours ago, PARTY said:

To press another button or not I would love to see this implemented! The raised firearm all the time bugs me as hell.

Really? Coming from a line of FPS shooters, I guess it never bothered me. It's natural for the most part, being on a battlefield and what not, but I think having the weapon at ready at all times is kinda weird in some cases. I would like to see firearms at rest, like arma. Think it could be cool.

On 12/11/2016 at 3:07 PM, Catindabox said:

TL;DR: now they should be able to implement an auto weapon lower system like in Project Reality.

+1

On 11. 12. 2016 at 9:07 PM, Catindabox said:

now they should be able to implement an auto weapon lower system like in Project Reality.

Thats not even in PR

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

Thats not even in PR

Actually it is, it's just very subtle. Notice how nobody is aiming and their rifles are lowered. When someone shoots, their character whips their rifle to their shoulder and holds it there for a short moment before lowering it again.

quite clearly is in PR even if it is only subtle and the 3rd person animations..
2618224-african_resistance_fighters.jpg
2618195-german_forces.jpg 

2618233-increased_teamwork.jpg

hamas.jpg

canadian_forces.jpg

Edited by Bigsmokeee

On 14. 12. 2016 at 2:16 AM, Rybec said:

Actually it is, it's just very subtle. Notice how nobody is aiming and their rifles are lowered. When someone shoots, their character whips their rifle to their shoulder and holds it there for a short moment before lowering it again.

Depends what you mean by "auto weapon lower system".
The PR "system" is not that, it's simply having different animations for 1st and 3rd person.
I don't really see a point in having weapon lowering, if it doesn't affect first person.